What's new

Anyone Know What This Is?

Hi guys, going to go pick this one up, tomorrow morning. I’m about 95% sure I know what it is, but I think I’ll hold off saying so, so I don’t jinx myself.... You be the judge 😁
B9AA76A3-352E-4114-B81D-59F7D8AEF59B.jpeg
CF66A6A6-5D13-4371-9CC1-CC5FCC73DA15.jpeg
37871B0F-A4CC-4BAF-9EFC-8C1472DE76BC.jpeg
B8770994-01AA-4303-A31B-98C158DB566D.jpeg
DAE8E13C-42AE-4E5E-8B57-152DB7E2E5F0.jpeg

You've found it, Matthew! Snap it up! It has a return envelope with it. Not sure if that went with it or not, but I would like to think so.
Thanks so much, it is confirmed.... I did a not so characteristic thing.... I found it on Facebook Marketplace at 7:30pm, somehow it was only 7 miles away, but in a not so nice part of St. Louis. The seller notified me that it would be sitting on her front porch for pickup and to put the money in her mail slot. I could pick it up tonight or tomorrow morning. This was about 7:45, as I was laying my 3 year old down for bed. While we were reading books, the seller notified me that another person wanted it and that it was first come first serve!!!!! The kiddo miraculously fell asleep at 8pm on the dot, then I took an Ice Cream order from Iryna and I shot out of the door, accompanied by my trusty Beretta 92. Luckily I was was there in about 8 minutes, literally moments before the other guy!!!! He walked up the steps as I was walking down, we laughed about it and both quickly exited the neighborhood, because it is seriously not safe after dark(like don’t stop at stoplights or stop signs unsafe). This was at 8:15, an entire 45 minutes after discovery! RAD makes you do some stupid stuff lol. This razor is my white whale and it is in great condition spare one slightly bent tooth. I’ll take pictures in the morning!

Two rings on a Gillette Old Type = Gillette Double Ring. This may be the first one I've actually seen. Congratulations times 10.

Please do share with us how it cleans up, and how it shaves. I predict it will shave identical to the Single Ring version.

Am I correct that it would be dated 1903? One hundred and seventeen years, and counting!

Wow, because of the way the price tag was tied and the fact that i was looking at it on my phone, I didn't see the second ring. An even better deal than i thought it was!
Same here, I almost glazed over it, but I thought it was too old a box. So, I gave it a second look and it turned out to be gold!! Couldn’t believe the price and happily deposited the $21 in her mail slot.

Two rings on a Gillette Old Type = Gillette Double Ring. This may be the first one I've actually seen. Congratulations times 10.

Please do share with us how it cleans up, and how it shaves. I predict it will shave identical to the Single Ring version.

Am I correct that it would be dated 1903? One hundred and seventeen years, and counting!
Thank you so much! It is indeed a double ring and the first I’ve ever seen In person, in the 9 years I’ve been collecting. I’ve seen a lot of firsts recently, they are out there, you just have to keep an eye open!
I’m not sure if I will clean it up right away, I may keep it as a time capsule for some time and clean it up on some cold winter day here in the future.

It does NOT have a serial number so it is between 1903 and mid 1904. They say only about 500 sets were produced in 1903, so it is unlikely that this one is that old. I’ll do some more digging in the morning to confirm. No matter what it is, an original Gillette double ring is a thing to cherish! I may never see another!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks so much, it is confirmed.... I did a not so characteristic thing.... I found it on Facebook Marketplace at 7:30pm, somehow it was only 7 miles away, but in a not so nice part of St. Louis. The seller notified me that it would be sitting on her front porch for pickup and to put the money in her mail slot. I could pick it up tonight or tomorrow morning. This was about 7:45, as I was laying my 3 year old down for bed. While we were reading books, the seller notified me that another person wanted it and that it was first come first serve!!!!! The kiddo miraculously fell asleep at 8pm on the dot, then I took an Ice Cream order from Iryna and I shot out of the door, accompanied by my trusty Beretta 92. Luckily I was was there in about 8 minutes, literally moments before the other guy!!!! He walked up the steps as I was walking down, we laughed about it and both quickly exited the neighborhood, because it is seriously not safe after dark(like don’t stop at stoplights or stop signs unsafe). This was at 8:15, an entire 45 minutes after discovery! RAD makes you do some stupid stuff lol. This razor is my white whale and it is in great condition spare one slightly bent tooth. I’ll take pictures in the morning!
The stars aligned!!!! It sounds like an awesome rescue! That is a story for the ages! I'm sensing the first B&B full length feature film! I dont think you could have slept last night if you didnt go!

Cant wait to see the pics. Be sure to join the parade and add your name to the registry! Also, check your patent info!

Welcome to the club!

Edit: AND KEEP THE GORGEOUS PATINA!!!
20200114_220906.jpg
20200115_213544.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom