What's new

Anyone know Dorco history?

I just purchased an old new stock unused Dorco #42 straight razor for $125. It's I'm the mail to me from Ebay. I'm pretty new at this game but I had come across some good reviews for it and it seemed a good price when I compared other Word I models for sale so I pulled the trigger.
My questions to the wise ones on top of the shave cream mountain are do you think I got a good deal ....give it to me straight I can (cant) take it. I know it's a little late in the game to ask that but I just have to know good or bad. Also, does anyone know of the approximate age of this model razor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Here is a link to the razor.

Dorko is a great razor , as far as pricing it seems pretty fair for a new unused dorko IMO, as long as you get a proper hone on that blade it will give you amazing shaves. That’s the most important part is getting it to a good and reputable honing service for maximum sharpness . It will most likely not be anywhere near shave ready unless stated by the seller. Out of the box isn’t good enough in my honest opinion.

Psusocr, thanks much for the info I thought it was a decent deal but wasn't sure. Yeah Ive owned a couple of new razors but haven't seen a new blade ever come out shave ready. I do ok honing one though I don't have much experience setting a beve! since luckily I haven't had that problem yet. I've always been hesitant about sending one of my babies off in the mail. Can you recommend any razor honers you be done business with that have a decent price. That's why I've just played with straights off and on is because I can't say I've ever had an actual comfortable shave but that's most likely due to my lack of skill at honing. I think it would be worth a shot sending this one off thanks again for the tips.
Carl

I would recommend doc 226 .He is a true artist when it comes to honing .He is on this site .Just send him a PM,
Dorko's have great steel and workmanship.

@Snagmaster Queedo

anytime! You’ll love that razor , I know I love my dorko ! As m14Shooter mentioned there are a lot of great guys here in the website that do an amazing job at honing and you can feel comfortable sending it off in the mail as well. Just search around for whoever is close to you and shoot them a PM

@Snagmaster Queedo

anytime! You’ll love that razor , I know I love my dorko ! As m14Shooter mentioned there are a lot of great guys here in the website that do an amazing job at honing and you can feel comfortable sending it off in the mail as well. Just search around for whoever is close to you and shoot them a PM
thanks psusocr, I'm attempting to pm doc but I'm not sure I used the right method. I did it by using the start a conversation.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
They are a good classic razor but I have much less expensive razors that are better shavers compared to the one I have.

They are a good classic razor but I have much less expensive razors that are better shavers compared to the one I have.
Thanks Steve, I guess since everyone's face is different it takes different styles and sizes of razors to suit everyone. I'm glad I made an ok deal on the Dorco. I just got it today and I'm going to send it to one of the guys here to hone it who was recommended by several people. I'm still looking for my best razor. I just bought an R.J. Roberts with custom purple heart wood scales that I got a great deal on ( I hope) and can't wait to try it out as well.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks Steve, I guess since everyone's face is different it takes different styles and sizes of razors to suit everyone. I'm glad I made an ok deal on the Dorco. I just got it today and I'm going to send it to one of the guys here to hone it who was recommended by several people. I'm still looking for my best razor. I just bought an R.J. Roberts with custom purple heart wood scales that I got a great deal on ( I hope) and can't wait to try it out as well.
You won’t regret it. They are fine razors and you are right about size preference. I prefer smaller blades and was lucky to find a 5/8 DORKO. Most likely it needs more finishing honing. Some steels are harder than others and take more attention and I believe that is the situation with mine. I just haven’t taken the time to get it to its potential yet. Definitely a keeper.

About 16 or 17 years ago Dorko's were all the rage on the forums. Getting one for your amount was a bargain.

I got one at the time and it was an excellent razor. Sold it off to get something else and I regret it.

I hope yours is as good and that you enjoy it.

Chris

You won’t regret it. They are fine razors and you are right about size preference. I prefer smaller blades and was lucky to find a 5/8 DORKO. Most likely it needs more finishing honing. Some steels are harder than others and take more attention and I believe that is the situation with mine. I just haven’t taken the time to get it to its potential yet. Definitely a keeper.

Thanks Chris! I decided to get it on a hunch . I had came across some remarks that they were a gave a good shave. I just received it yesterday and it's a beauty. Beginners luck i guess but I'm not complaining.

Top Bottom