What's new

Anyone know anything about this old pen...?

I was looking in some drawers for a paperclip just now (successfully you'll be pleased to hear) and also found this Parker which would've belonged to my grandfather, cos they're his initials.

Anyone know anything about what model it is, or any other info? Why is the nib kinda recessed like that? Was that a common thing that I've just not seen before because I know sod all about pens?

Worth me trying to get back into working order? It seems in reasonably good shape already, but maybe I'll need to do something to touch up / grind the nib? Or is that not advisable given I've never done it before, and don't particularly want to balls it up...?

TY in advance for any thoughts!

IMG-7769.jpg

IMG-7766.jpg

IMG-7767.jpg

Parker 51. Looks to be in good shape. In addition to being great pens, they are incredibly resilient. You'll almost certainly be able to get it writing beautifully.

Give it a couple of flushes with warm water and see if you can get it running mostly clear.

Don't mess with the nib; it is unlikely to be required or advisable.

Parker 51. Looks to be in good shape. In addition to being great pens, they are incredibly resilient. You'll almost certainly be able to get it writing beautifully.

Give it a couple of flushes with warm water and see if you can get it running mostly clear.

Don't mess with the nib; it is unlikely to be required or advisable.

Thanks for the info J! I gave it a flush with water, and then managed to find some ink at the back of the drawer too. And you were indeed correct - it writes beautifully! :)

36C23D10-983D-45AD-BE12-77D22716C5EB.jpeg

Even better - while finding the ink I also stumbled across this rather fancy looking Waterman.

AEA10FC7-08F9-45A5-8272-6257D771BE2C.jpeg

64BD9CAA-D3BD-4534-B530-FD01D6C370E3.jpeg

B93EC65C-785E-4E99-9B11-9CD497903787.jpeg

Oh dear, I can feel another rabbit hole coming on... 😬😬😬

That looks like a Carene, one of their top end models. I'm not that familiar with Waterman, so I'd search around to confirm.

That Windsor & Newton ink is fountain pen ink, isn't it? They mostly make India and drawing inks...

Congrats on those finds! Not only are they beautiful pens, but the sentimental connection is special.

That Windsor & Newton ink is fountain pen ink, isn't it?

Oh, I’ve no idea actually, just kinda assumed it was.

I think most of the stuff in this drawer is my mother’s that she’s forgotten about. And she does/did work doing stuff with art and paintings, so it might well be some other kind of ink.

Shellac sounds worrying for a fountain pen. Doesn’t that set quite hard...?

8FAA4484-D97C-4E76-8009-03AED4125E83.jpeg

A803331A-7D2D-4244-8A86-39DAA1244924.jpeg

That looks like a Carene, one of their top end models. I'm not that familiar with Waterman, so I'd search around to confirm.

That Windsor & Newton ink is fountain pen ink, isn't it? They mostly make India and drawing inks...

Congrats on those finds! Not only are they beautiful pens, but the sentimental connection is special.
I think that it is a Carene. The Carene was designed to resemble the profile of the hull of a racing yacht. It looks similar in size to my Carene. If you look closely at the nib, it might have an F, M, or B printed on it. That would tell you if it is a fine, a medium or a broad nib. They did make some stub nibs and some obliques, but from what I can see yours is not an oblique. The Parker 51 is probably the most iconic and most imitated fountain pen ever made. The Waterman Carene is also a pen that collectors love. I have the modern version of the 51, which was mainly viewed as a disappointment compared to the original. You should be very happy!

Waterman Serenity Blue ink or a Parker Quink ink work very well with those pens. If you want to get the optimal experience, purchase a Rhodia notebook. If you have 32 lb. laser jet paper, that will work pretty well. The two inks that I mentioned might work on regular paper, but the loose fibers of standard paper will eventually clog the nib.

Last edited:
Yep. You *do not* want that in your pen.

Flush it immediately. You may need to use some alcohol to get it out of the collector, if it gunks that up, it will need a proper restore.

Eep.

Well that’s a very good spot of yours regarding that particular brand of ink. Would never have crossed my mind, so thank you for saving me from immediately messing it up!

I’ve now flushed with water, then gin for good measure, and water again. So hopefully should alright...

Last edited by a moderator:
They are tough pens, and there is nothing internally that should be susceptible to limited exposure to alcohol.

I'd let water sit in it for a couple of days, and then drain it and wrap the nib in a paper towel and stand it in a glass nib down. The remaining water will wick out over a day or two and then you can refill with a real ink and you will be good to go. Waterman Serenity Blue is a lovely colour and is considered the safest ink for vintage pens. There are many others out there, obviously, but that is bullet proof.

I'd just throw that shellac ink out. Wouldn't want someone else to stumble upon those pens and do the same thing you did.

Everyone else's recommendations about Waterman ink or Parker Quink is spot on.

I'd just throw that shellac ink out. Wouldn't want someone else to stumble upon those pens and do the same thing you did.

Good thinking! I've just gone and done that. And while retrieving it from 'The Drawer That Keeps On Giving' I also found the matching pencil, to make quite a smart set.

It's rapidly becoming one of my all-time favourite drawers in fact. Certainly straight into the Top 10 at the very least.

IMG-7797.jpg

If you look closely at the nib, it might have an F, M, or B printed on it. That would tell you if it is a fine, a medium or a broad nib. They did make some stub nibs and some obliques, but from what I can see yours is not an oblique

Just googled oblique nibs - and you’re right it’s not that. Doesn’t have a letter on it, just ‘18k’ on one side and ‘750’ the other. But seems quite similar width to the Parker nib, so I assume a kinda medium or standard version.

The Parker 51 is probably the most iconic and most imitated fountain pen ever made. The Waterman Carene is also a pen that collectors love. I have the modern version of the 51, which was mainly viewed as a disappointment compared to the original. You should be very happy!

Cheers for your thoughts and insights there too. It sounds like they’re two quite well-liked and respected models I’ve stumbled across, which is nice. Certainly the two best fountain pens I’ve ever written with anyway. :)

Waterman Serenity Blue is a lovely colour and is considered the safest ink for vintage pens.
Waterman Serenity Blue ink or a Parker Quink ink work very well with those pens.
Everyone else's recommendations about Waterman ink or Parker Quink is spot on.

Thanks guys! Rather surprisingly my local high street stationer had Quink in a pot, and in a variety of colours. Including this rather fetching midnight blue number which I think I’ll quite like.

They also had Serenity actually, but only in cartridges, and there seem to be quite a few Waterman cartridges here already so I didn’t pick up any more.

9F30EC32-12DE-451A-86BC-B32B4901D528.jpeg

D7A4AEFA-9B79-4083-BED1-D2670FA7019E.jpeg

Good thinking! I've just gone and done that. And while retrieving it from 'The Drawer That Keeps On Giving' I also found the matching pencil, to make quite a smart set.

It's rapidly becoming one of my all-time favourite drawers in fact. Certainly straight into the Top 10 at the very least.

View attachment 1652788
Dang gum, I want a drawer like that, every time you open it you get something new!!!😉

Tom

You are set!

It turns out that my Waterman nib is also not marked for size. If you are curious, a stub writes a thin horizontal line and a thick vertical line. Despite a little bit of that characteristic in the Waterman sample, your pens are not stubs. If the width of the tip of the nib is in the range of 0.6 to 0.7 mm, the nibs are medium. If they are closer to 0.8 or 0.9 mm, they are broad. I would guess medium, but it doesn’t matter. Just enjoy them.

I do have one last bit of useful advice. Black and blue/black inks are somewhat water resistant. If you spill them, they are a bit harder to wash out of fabric. By contrast, pure blue inks wash out more easily. Of least this is the case with the Parker inks.

Top Bottom