What's new

Anyone interested in militaria?

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I was wondering, is there anyone here that is interested in militaria? Any hobbyists?

The only military items I have are from the years in the Army and an military shave set. I would love to collect various items, and perhaps might when / if life slows down a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don't know about hobbyism, even though I think I just made up the word, but I am always watching a documentary or a video on YouTube about military arms or history.

I was wondering, is there anyone here that is interested in militaria? Any hobbyists?

This is a pretty large topic... could you be more specific about what you mean by militaria? Actual collecting of uniforms or medals can be very expensive; it's beyond my budget, for sure. This being said, I'm interested in the topic, even though I have no items I'd consider militaria, except for repros. LOTS of books, though.

Don

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
@Black Adder

Well, I, for example, have some vintage military flags, some vintage posters, and quite a few books as well.
I was born in Russia and have always had an interest in everything that has to do with Eastern Front and the Red Army. A few years ago I developed an interest in the Bush war of the South-African Army in Namibia and Angola, as well as the Rhodesian war. And what topics interest you?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have some of my great Uncle's patches, his brass belt buckle. From WWII. Priceless to me.

Reality show on Nat Geo a few years ago. Trio of experts go digging in the Baltic states who have relaxed or non existent laws regarding that sort of thing. Incredible German , Soviet stuff dug up bet then get to skulls in helmets etc essentially graves. Ethics shmetics. But show was shut down in 3 or 4 epsiodes

I dislike seeing medals in display cases for sale. I like the Dutch practice, which is that the medals are awarded to the individual, but remain the property of the Crown. As such, when a military Veteran passes, his family receive notice to return the medals. Exceptions are allowed for sentimental reasons but, at some point, those medals will revert to the government, and you will not see someone trying to "cash in" on an ancestor's valour.

I have some of my great Uncle's patches, his brass belt buckle. From WWII. Priceless to me.

I have some of my father's from WWII and the Korean War. They have sentimental value to me as well, perhaps more to his grandchildren because most of their friends had never even met a veteran from those two wars. Other than the sentimental and the practical (I carry a P38 can opener), what interest I have is historical.

I dislike seeing medals in display cases for sale. I like the Dutch practice, which is that the medals are awarded to the individual, but remain the property of the Crown. As such, when a military Veteran passes, his family receive notice to return the medals. Exceptions are allowed for sentimental reasons but, at some point, those medals will revert to the government, and you will not see someone trying to "cash in" on an ancestor's valour.

That's interesting. What's always struck me as sad is that a family got to the point where it had to "cash in" on something of that nature.

That's interesting. What's always struck me as sad is that a family got to the point where it had to "cash in" on something of that nature.

Thing is, until you get to the REALLY rare stuff, none of it is worth more than a few bucks. I've seen (sadly) Purple Hearts for a fiver, $20.00 for a Silver Star. Campaign and theater medals are only a buck or two each.

I think, in general, it's more about a "nobody wants it? Okay, consignment shop," attitude. The sentimental value is allowed for under the Dutch system. But it also takes into account that, when that value is lost, the profiteers cannot diminish the legacy by "commerce".

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thing is, until you get to the REALLY rare stuff, none of it is worth more than a few bucks. I've seen (sadly) Purple Hearts for a fiver, $20.00 for a Silver Star. Campaign and theater medals are only a buck or two each.

I think, in general, it's more about a "nobody wants it? Okay, consignment shop," attitude. The sentimental value is allowed for under the Dutch system. But it also takes into account that, when that value is lost, the profiteers cannot diminish the legacy by "commerce".
Well put. Sometimes folks die without an heir. Then anything happens.

Relatives who were in combat were sort of blase about the Purple Heart. There was a Willie & Joe cartoon that echoed that. Then there was my father's marksmanship medal. I found it in a junk drawer once, and he dismissed it with a "They gave them out to everyone." Don't know where it is now. OTOH, he made sure a grandchild got his "Ruptured Duck," along with the explanation that it was an Honorable Discharge button.

Top Bottom