What's new

Anyone in South Florida Who Can Hone a Few Razors?

I've been learning how to shave with a straight razor, but have not been able to take on learning to hone. I'd like to work on that skill in 2015, but I'd also like to start the year with some new straights that I've recently acquired (pics below) ready to go. I've got a tiny Fili 10, a Red Imp 133, and a Wade & Butcher.

If there's anyone locally who can help, please let me know. If I need to ship them out to someone, I'll be happy to do so. Thanks for the input!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419226466.724767.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419226480.264294.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419226498.140249.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419226512.064657.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419226522.585823.jpg

People will be along momentarily to recommend Nelson to you. I just wanna say you're gonna wanna sand off that rust on the Imp before getting it honed.

Nice razors.

People will be along momentarily to recommend Nelson to you. I just wanna say you're gonna wanna sand off that rust on the Imp before getting it honed.

Nice razors.

Thanks! Not to so sound like a total noob, but what grit should I be using for that?

Well it depends on how shiny you want it. I usually go around 200-400 for starters and don't bother polishing the scratches out after, but some people polish up to 1200, 1600, 2000, or use buffing pastes. You could also go with maas or a similar product that should remove the rust while minimizing the amount of scratches left behind.

Red imp is a really good blade. You can't go wrong with any of the go to guys on here for honing. When you do decide to give honing a shot, you have some pretty straightforward blades to hone, which is good. The filarmonica looks like it has a hint of a frown, but nothing that couldn't be guided in the right direction.

I usually start with 1k and if the oxidation is superficial enough, I can get the stains off without having to cope with scratch removal. If it fails me, I bump down till I find the finest increment that will do it for me and then move back up to 1k and polish afterwards.

Scott is up in Lake City. You may be able to talk him into putting an edge on those for you. He does an amazing job!

I'm in Tampa and would be happy to hone them for you if you don't mind shipping them to me. I'll be working a lot through this weekend and out of town over new years, so it might take me some time to get them done and sent back. Let me know

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Might want to send them to Alfredo, Doc226. He can do the rust and the honing for a very reasonable price. Ask for a kiita edge.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom