What's new

Anyone here tried Creatine? Your experiences?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm thinking of giving it a "go", and would love to hear some anecdotal stories from my Badgering Buddies before I do.

Some people say that if you don't use creatine, you're not taking your training seriously. I use it myself for heavier periods, and I feel it helps. It allows me to plow through those really heavy and grindy deadlift and squat sets.

It's only good for really heavy and short work, that utilizes ATP as the primary energy source (up to around 12 seconds of work).

Try it! It's dirt cheap and can help a lot. :)

In high school. Gained water weight. Not much in terms of strength, but that was 15 years ago. No idea if the products made have improved from then. I don't have any desire to try it again.

Its safe. Try it and see if it works for you. I use it along with Beta Alanine and some BCAAs before a workout.

I remember after high school, i used to go to a gym with a few former classmates. I was lifting one 45 on each side for incline bench. My buddy started taking creatine and within a month he was able to lift two 45's plus on each side. He told me he was on that cell tech, but i just stayed lifting normal. Around 3+ months later i was almost there. He stopped taking it, and was starting to lose what he gained.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, if you take it be prepared to lose gains when you stop.

Don't do it - just don't - its really hard on your kidneys and when you stop the like 3 lbs you gained go buy bye in like a day. Trust me, speaking from experience - just do a nice protein shake after work out and eat more while you are bulking.

Don't do it - just don't - its really hard on your kidneys and when you stop the like 3 lbs you gained go buy bye in like a day. Trust me, speaking from experience - just do a nice protein shake after work out and eat more while you are bulking.

There is no scientific evidence showing adverse impact on kidneys. Period.

Anecdotally, I have been using some form of creatine for over a decade and have had no issues.

I took it for a long time, it did give me some strength and bulk but in mostly water gains. I do take it at times but i rather load up on proteins instead, it is much easiier on the kidneys,

I've tried it in two different forms (capsules v powder) and each time I just felt really bloated and uncomfortable. I tried to go through a loading phase each time and I never really gained any recognizable results. Now I just use a preworkout formula and protein powder in my stack.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.

I see that there is some debate out there as to whether or not it is potentially harmful on the kidneys. I'm sure some of you will have strong views on that, and while I value everyone's opinion, I'd hate to see this thread become a contentious one on that topic. If you can post links, without comment, to what you feel are the best and most relevant research articles and other key medical links out there, that'd be great.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.

I see that there is some debate out there as to whether or not it is potentially harmful on the kidneys. I'm sure some of you will have strong views on that, and while I value everyone's opinion, I'd hate to see this thread become a contentious one on that topic. If you can post links, without comment, to what you feel are the best and most relevant research articles and other key medical links out there, that'd be great.

Here is a good one. Here is another. The articles site multiple scientific articles at the bottom of the page.

Good luck!

I've used it, but it didn't seem worth it to me. Maybe if I was 28 instead of 48 lol. It did seem to help with muscle soreness, but glutamine does too. I like a cup of coffee or pre-workout drink for a boost and enough protein, but nothing too special otherwise.

Used it off and on over the past ten years doc with no ill effects. Your muscles bulk up quickly and from what I understand (no dietician here) is that it's primarily due to the fact your muscles are holding more water to deliver "other" nutrients to them in time of need. (Aka after a workout). I say give it a shot and see if you like it...its a small investment unless you try some of the Gucci brand name varieties...

I have used two separate brands of creatine. Both could really feel helping... But the first brand made me itch. Like my forehead, the tops of my hands felt like they were crawling. Second brand still feel the tingling, but no were close to as much as the first brand.

Creatine is the most studied product in the market and it is the only thing that has proven results. You can take it long term. Which basically means you never have to stop. Daily use is 3-5 grams a day and it doesn't matter when you take it. It is also cheap...

For those who care I am a company rep for promera sports. We carry a product called concrete. It is another form called creatone HCl. Not like that means anything. I just wanted to put it out there that I know what I am talking about.

To those who talk about bloating and water weight..... Sure you may see some but I am just going to throw out there that your diet probably sucked and that caused a lot of what you were "experiencing".

I have used two separate brands of creatine. Both could really feel helping... But the first brand made me itch. Like my forehead, the tops of my hands felt like they were crawling. Second brand still feel the tingling, but no were close to as much as the first brand.

Was it just creatine or a pre workout supplement? I've never heard of the itching with creatine, but lots of preworkouts contain beta-alanine, which can cause an itchy sensation.

Was it just creatine or a pre workout supplement? I've never heard of the itching with creatine, but lots of preworkouts contain beta-alanine, which can cause an itchy sensation.
You would be correct. BA causes that feeling. A lot of people cannot take it.

Top Bottom