What's new

Anyone here prefer to just use their face to lather?

For me it depends on what I'm using.
Generally if it's a cream I bowl Lather.

If it's a soap that isn't nearly empty I face lather.
If it's a soap that's running out and it's difficult to load I put a piece of it in a bowl to lather... usually when the soap is just a thin ring around the edge of the tub.

I see the bowl more for using the last bits of soap than I do for regular lathering as the majority of what I use is Soap and most of them aren't down to the last ring.

Yea it's exciting.

I only know wet shaving from watching youtube videos. All I saw are bowl lathering on there, so I figured I'll ask.
Sure my first question ever is an embarrassing one.
@iShave415
The question is far from irrelevant. And, as you pointed out youtube is full of crap you have to sift through to get quality content.
The rude comment you responded to and the member who made it are being removed.
I face lather....unless I use my bowl and scuttle.
Thank you for your participation in the BnB community.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yep, face latherer. I do lather in the mug, on the puck, from time to time. But otherwise, it’s face for me.

Never even occurred to me to purchase a bowl so never used one. My assumption was that bowls were more a barber thing back in the day and that the men who shaved at home starting in the early part of the 20th century preferred a more practical approach going directly to the face with a loaded brush. I'm not trying to replicate the barbershop experience so no bowl for me.

When your in a pinch, you do want you have to do. When your out on the road or camping face lathering is fine. I’ve done it and I’m sure that I will do it again. Under those circumstances I might also eat with my fingers or drink water from my cupped hands. I might walk barefoot or forgoe an ironed shirt for a day. I’m not ashamed of that. It’s a survival situation. You do what you have to do to survive. Would I then return home and throw away all my cutlery, glasses, shoes and lather bowls because I can survive without them? Certainly not. That would be uncivilized. I might as well go and live in the jungle.

Last edited:
For me, it is almost always load the brush with product and build lather on my face. I love the feel of my nice badger brushes working up a lather on my face. Once I figured out how to get a great shave with any type of razor, this aspect of wet shaving became a larger part of the joy of the wet shaving experience for me. The exceptions: Williams, which I always did in a mug, duh, because it says mug soap. And in the winter, if I want a hot lather experience, my scuttle and occasionally a small crock pot for great hot lathering. Of course, YMMV.

Always found face lathering a chore with scitchy brushes and poor lather so bowl lathering for me.

BUT on a whim I bought a Yaqi Aqua 24mm tuxedo synthetic knot expecting to further improve my bowl lather.

It turned into the most exquisite brush for face lathering and by far the gentlest knot I’ve ever rubbed round my face.

Righto then face lathering it is from now on and glad I got something that works for me

Nope.
Bruish.JPG

I tied face lathering when I was trying to get MWF to work. All I got for my efforts was a broken out raw face. Bowl lathering for me.

I prefer to use a brush and bowl to lather since the whiskers are to short and my face is too large to fit into the tub of soap! :lol:

I wasted several years trying to get a good bowl/scuttle lather with my well water. Once I tried face-lathering, I never went back.

Top Bottom