What's new

Anyone here heard of this stone?

A suita? They are mostly known for their fast polishing speed. Some see these as pre finishers but there are some really fine suitas aswell.

Kyoto Okudo identifies the location where the stone was mined - The okudo mine.
Suita identifies either the strata or that the stone has tiny airholes within the stone.
Nashiji means that the pattern of the stone looks like the skin of a pear.

2020-01-18 09.32.02.jpg

P.s.: the only way of knowing the capabilities of the stone is testing it. Etiher you ask the seller or you buy and test it yourself. Just from the name, it is impossibile to know how "good" the stone is.
A suita good be pre-finisher, finisher, soft or hard... no way to know without testing the stone.

The seller states that it's a 4.5 out of 5 in terms of hardness.
It's about 3x7x1/2.
I have no idea as to how to put a value on it.

Is stone from reputable seller? Or tested by previous owner that you trust? There are a handful of commercial sellers that I would trust. Does seller offer trial period, where you can return stone after period of for refund? Does stone come with a matched nagura? Can seller confirm if stone is appropriate for straight razors? I’m told the majority of jnats being sold are not for razor sharpening. I’m told auction purchase can be a gamble to get a decent stone.

I recently joined the jnat club. In spite of all the research, and internet knowledge, trying stone out is king. Different stones will have different characteristics. Even with all the research it can still be confusing. Do you have previous knowledge/ skill set with natural stones? These skills may help. I am only a few months into jnats, and with every hone I learn something New. I have also read that harder stones like the okudo are not suggested for beginners. My second jnat is an hard ozuku and it requires some finesse to get a decent edge.

Do you have a link to stone, so we can look at it? (If that is allowed). maybe some could vouch for seller

Last edited:
I personally would not buy a jnat from Ebay. That's not to say that the stone in question isn't a quality stone. It very well could be. If you dig you can find a few stories about people here buying less than quality jnats from Ebay. Luckily, the seller you linked does offer returns which is a good sign. Also, one seller's 4.5 is another seller's 3.5 and so on. I have 2 jnats from one seller that are both a 5 and one from a different seller that was listed as a 5/5 hardness and it is considerably softer than the 2 from the other seller. What draws you to this particular stone?

Last edited:
We're not supposed to give $$ evaluations in the threads.

A stone from Okudo can be anything. Most stone sold today as Okudo isn't from Okudo.
Just about any size piece of stone that is actually from Okudo and is also very usable, will cost a few dollars, they're uncommon and a truly authentic Okudo will be sought after.
On auction sites, the abundance of 'rare' is only exceeded by the abundance of misinformation.

Hon Suita is one of the two lower Suita strata.

Nashiji is a pattern, a visual asset, not a performance qualifier.

Hardness is a quality, but not the only quality. In an of itself, it doesn't mean a lot. Hardness in Suita is a little 'different': usually, a very hard Suita is usually not as hard as a very hard Tomae. Hardness levels are highly subjective anyway, and if the seller hasn't actually used the stone extensively there is literally no way for them to have assesed that or the other qualities that factor in.

Being frugal is fine; but cheap can wind up costing more in the long run.
The best effort in being frugal is to buy stones based on their assets/qualities confirmed by the seller who's actually honed a razor on it.

Top Bottom