What's new

Anyone here have only 1 blade brand that works for them??

I usually see people on here having quite a few brand of blades that work for them. But what about the people who have literally only 1 or 2 blade brands at max or maybe even none at all(in which case they move on to SE shaving or something else)that work for them?? Tell me your story. Just curious is all. For me,so far, it's Personna Lab Blue then again I haven't tested that many blade brands. As a matter of fact i'm going through a sampler right now

I'd be a lot closer to 1 or 2 that don't work for me. There are blades that are a lot smoother and more effective than others but I can make almost any blade work for me.

After trying nearly all modern production blades, I’ve found that vintage Gillette Spoilers are my favorite blade in all razors by a country mile. The best of breed for modern production razors IMHO is Timor - excellent sharpness, comfort and durability.

I'd be a lot closer to 1 or 2 that don't work for me. There are blades that are a lot smoother and more effective than others but I can make almost any blade work for me.

Agree on this. When I find a bad blade brand, it is because I went "exploring". I have 5 brands I could use from now until Armageddon without complaint...but where's the fun in that?

Blade reviews are like movie reviews. The worse, the better.

I've only found one blade that WON'T work for me, out of about sixty that I've tried. OTOH, I have a dozen or so favorites.

I've only found one blade that WON'T work for me, out of about sixty that I've tried. OTOH, I have a dozen or so favorites.

Voskhod, I'm guessing. It. Just. Doesn't. Work.

Would adjusting the machines to make it just a smidgen more sharp be like one of the labors of Hercules?

Voskhod, I'm guessing. It. Just. Doesn't. Work.

Would adjusting the machines to make it just a smidgen more sharp be like one of the labors of Hercules?

Nope, Voskhods are high on my list. They're probably the smoothest blade I've found.

No, the worst blade for me, by far, was the Flying Eagle. I could have pulled the whiskers out one-by-one with a tweezers and been more comfortable. Even the much reviled Graham-Fields was a walk in the park by comparison.

Nope, Voskhods are high on my list. They're probably the smoothest blade I've found.

No, the worst blade for me, by far, was the Flying Eagle. I could have pulled the whiskers out one-by-one with a tweezers and been more comfortable. Even the much reviled Graham-Fields was a walk in the park by comparison.

Sorry, but posters who speak well of the Voskhod make me suspicious that they are paid Russian trolls at that internet center in St. Petersburg tasked with making the Kremlin look good.

The Voskhod just ain't good. I've got maybe 50 of them left and I wish I could convert them to paint-scraping duty in one of my boss's rental properties.

Nope! And Nope again!

After trying a ton of blades, I concluded that what works best for me is to classify them in tiers:
1. Top tier (the top 10% or so) that just work well: sharp, comfortable, and long-lasting.
2. Mid tier (roughly 80%) that are OK and may be very good in some razors.
3. Lower tier (bottom 10%) that I would prefer to avoid.

This ‘rough’ classification works well enough as I prefer to stick with my top tier (unless I am exploring new options that may make it into the top tier.)

I used to constantly try new blades**, but 3 years ago, I settled on GSB (75% use) and Polsilver SI (remaining 25% use). These days, I very rarely try a stray blade here and there, but I personally have yet to use a razor that doesn't work well for me with either or both of those blades.

**some enthusiasts love trying new blades, and that is totally cool; I appreciate such users as they write reviews/experiences for all of us to read

Top Bottom