What's new

Anyone Here Ever Have an a Eureka! Moment?

It's been quite the journey but I have found my "go to" blades "go to" razors and stumbled across a soap recently that I seriously think I could use exclusively.

Anyone have any stories of finding that "one" soap?

nice grammer on that title lol

It's been quite the journey but I have found my "go to" blades "go to" razors and stumbled across a soap recently that I seriously think I could use exclusively.

Anyone have any stories of finding that "one" soap?

Anyone can shave with quality razors, blades, and soap. I'm glad you found something that worked for you.

But, If you can shave with an old rusty butter-knife, and pine tar - then and only then will you have your shave-zen technique down. In that case then, shaving with other materials will be a no-brainer

I've felt that several times soon to be followed by curiosity about some other razor, brush, and/or soap!

What soap is your 'go to' that led to your eureka?

I landed on 'that one soap' the first time I lathered Arko. BUT, then I realized what Williams was when it was used 'right'. And then this week I get my first Speick stick, man what a scent! So I guess I need Arko's lather ability, Williams slickness and Speick's scent! Search begins.

I have never had a Eureka! moment shaving, but I have in other areas of life. I would imagine that the feeling of hitting the sweet spot that you describe may have as much to do with developing good technique as it has to do with hardware or products. Either way, congrats and enjoy it. For me, an efficient razor, a sharp blade, and either Williams, Palmolive, and Arko are all I ever need. If Mitchell's Wool Fat was under $5 the puck (as it should be) that would be on the list as well.

Not as such,
I was impressed with "La Toja" shaving stick and "Blue's Soap Goat's Milk And animal Fat From New Zealand Shaving Soap" - an obscure soap in a boot polish style screw top tin from various Chinese sellers on eBay, either one was great when I was face lathering with my unbranded dark badger brush from England.
The Eureka moment came when I tried face lathering either of them with an unbranded Chinese horsehair brush...
Face lathering with the La Toja turned out like a foam party !!
Face lathering with the Blue's Soap produced a fantastic lather with very little product and no serious elbow grease !!
Eureka - I've found 2 ways to produce more lather while saving on product and effort !!

Last edited:
I don't look for the Eureka moment. I like variety, and while I have a favorite, the others are so good that it doesn't matter that they're not all in first place.

these are great answers. I'm always curious about the gents who have settled into certain products and how they arrived there

For me it was when I started using a soap and I looked at the loaded brush then the bowl then my wet face and then face lathered. I still prefer the bowl for creams but I really enjoy using soaps.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Sort of, I'm kind of like trombonliness, there are many great soaps. What I have learned starting with the classics (MWF, Tabac, Cella) and inching my way up is that I should have started at the top (AdP, ABC, SdM, Castle Forbes...) and inched my way down. That's so when you try a mid-tier or lower end soap you'll know if it is really good or only good compared to other mid-tier or lower end soaps. There's a reason that top shelf soaps are top shelf.

Cheers, Steve

Almost! Spending 2016 with Haslinger's. So far, so GOOD! :thumbup1:

I'm doing the same with Cold River Soap Works (I've been using it for a couple of years now... it was love at first lather for me). In fact, yesterday I was wondering if I'll need anything else after 2016 is over, and *poof* Haslinger Schafmilch immediately popped right into my mind.

Top Bottom