What's new

Anyone here arguileh/hookah?

I'm not at all surprised to see how many military people have responded in this thread. Hookahs are one of many things that get peddled on military bases in the Middle East. I never really got into it and most people I know who bought one in places like Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia quickly discovered that the build quality just wasn't there. I do think that they smell quite nice though.

Oh yeah. The hookahs at my (undisclosed) location are utter ****e. The 3 hose hookah I bought was repackaged and sent to a friend (unsmoked) as a souvenir with a note telling him it's "just for show, not for go".

I found the B&B/Straight Razor Place equivalent hookah forums online and got myself educated PDQ. I bought my Mya online, which is where I'll most likely buy my next one.

The only stuff I buy from the TCN shops now is shisha, charcoal, and butane.
The hookahs they sell are the equivalent of buying a straight razor off of eBay without knowing anything about shaving. :001_tongu

Hey F16WarBird, what forums did you check out? This is the forum that I found www.hookahforum.com Is there a better one? I ordered one off of ebay Friday and some tobacco. I smoke pipes and really enjoy my meerschaums from Turkey and the many different tobacco's available. I don't know any one who smokes a pipe, let alone a hookah. There is so much negativity associated with hookahs that I feel like I will need to hide in a closet when smoking it, but I won't.

Yep. That's one of them. I also like hookahlounge.net

I ordered my Diva from hookah-shisha.com, but I've also used thehookahstore.com and texashookah (who is an Amazon seller).

Getting into hookah smoking, as I am learning, is just like getting into wet shaving. What you DON'T know can cost you $.

I strongly recommend to anyone who is mildly interested to visit an actual hookah lounge. A session is $5 to $10 (depending on the place). You pick the flavors from a menu and then they'll prepare the hookah (packing the bowl, putting holes in the tin foil, etc). They'll bring the hookah to you, give you a set of disposable mouth covers and you're ready to go. The best part is that you will be able to experience smoking from a proper hookah, not a cheapie from a huxter.

Hey F16WarBird, what forums did you check out? This is the forum that I found www.hookahforum.com Is there a better one? I ordered one off of ebay Friday and some tobacco. I smoke pipes and really enjoy my meerschaums from Turkey and the many different tobacco's available. I don't know any one who smokes a pipe, let alone a hookah. There is so much negativity associated with hookahs that I feel like I will need to hide in a closet when smoking it, but I won't.

That's pretty good to start with. If you decide hookah isn't for you, you're only out $20.

Make sure it's airtight when you get it. Also, you might need grommets for the hose and bowl (if they aren't included). They can be had inexpensively online.

Do a google map search for your area code and then click on "search nearby" and enter the word "hookah". I found a hookah lounge that is literally around the corner from my house but I never noticed it. :blink:

Some places aren't exclusively hookah lounges, but restaurants that also have a room for hookah. Also, hookah smoking is very popular with college students (I'm not referring to bongs), so it's not uncommon to find venues near thte schools that have hookah nights.

Last edited:
I talked to the deli owner and he told me his friend had a hookah café about an hour away. I might go there in a couple of weeks.

I am thinking about a new hookah. What brand of coals should I buy? I believe I want the natural ones.

Last edited:
Coco Naras are pretty much the Feather blades of the hookah charcoal world. They burn the way I like my women, clean, long, and with minimal ashing. :biggrin1:

Have you used natural coals before? They take a bit longer to get started and using a lighter is very difficult. Most folks use an electric burner.

Since I have limited resources where I'm currently at, I use three kings instant lighting.

Check out http://www.hookahforum.com It's pretty much the B&B of hookah. They have excellent reviews on everything from hookahs, parts, shisha, and anything else related.

BTW, I had a great session last night with JM Hookah's chocolate shisha. WOW! It smelled like someone was cooking brownies. :001_tt1:

Well gents (and ladies), I'm off to get a haircut and a shave from my favorite Turkish barber. $3 for a straight razor shave = WIN. :wink2:

Last edited:
I made my purchase last night from hookah-shisha.com. I bought a Mya Bambino, I like the portability and it has great reviews. I also got a Nammor hose, plenty of shisha, and Coco Nara coal. I am pumped about it! :w00t:

I made my purchase last night from hookah-shisha.com. I bought a Mya Bambino, I like the portability and it has great reviews. I also got a Nammor hose, plenty of shisha, and Coco Nara coal. I am pumped about it! :w00t:

Not sure if you're new to this, but just a helpful hint. I assume you're talking about the washable Nammor, and if so be sure to wash it a few times before you first use it. I always just used a small funnel and poured warm water through it, though I think many often use a water baking soda mix. If you don't wash them they tend to have a rubbery aftertaste the first few sessions which can ruin a perfectly good shisha.

BTW, what type of shisha did you get? Did the bambino come with the starter kit they usually offer?

But congrats, I always like the look of the bambino. You won't be disappointed with a Mya, even the cheap plastic-base Mya freebie they give away with $100+ orders hits like a dream.

I got the starter kit with mint and raspberry flavors. I also bought a tin of Starbuzz "Blue Mist." I will make sure to wash the hose out, thanks for the heads-up!

I'm a big fan. Most people may (or may not) be able to denote that my username alludes my Lebanese heritage. I've been hookah-ing for a while and picked it up being around at family gatherings and visits to Lebanon.

just wondering if anyone shared the habit. I was REALLY big into it, and still am for the most part, but being here and shaving has taken most of the edge off (no pun intended) of the hookah acquisition disorder (yeah, i kinda snagged that term from these boards). whenever i get home i'll take a picture of my 'rotation' and see what you guys think.

until then, cheers!

-Tony

as you would say marhaba(hi/hello), my uncle is lebanese and he suffers from this disorder, right now he is living in dubai with his family, but he has like 15 hookas here in the us and he only comes home once a year, he has a ton over there in dubai, he also smokes atleast once a day, i think his fav tobacco is A.S mint.

Nice to see some hookah fans in here, its great to have with friends, and I have been doing it for a few years, I have a couple, main one is my Khalil Mamoon Tri Metal "Pharonie" as its known on some sites. If any one has any questions regarding anything hookah related, PM I'll be more than happy to give you some tips, or advice...(My job is dealing with customers and hookah and etc. etc.)

This is for all the mates living down under where the shisha and tobacco is ridiculously expensive.
why don't you buy a shisha and tobacco for yourself and smoke it at home or around friends. its not big deal , just surf the web and order from Australia. even they sometimes sell second hand shishas at gumtree.com.au . and go on youtube to see how to set up a shisha. very simple. also for the best charcoal i recommend coconara. their website is www.coco-nara.com.au
you are now set, but a shisha, buy some tobacco, and get the charcoal. should cost about 50to70 bucks, one smoke session at a restaurant will set you back $30why

Got started with this about 12 years ago when a friend of Jordanian descent got one for his 18'th birthday. Have had 2, though one got kind of ratty and threw it away. The current one was straight from the markets in Amman and is a big boy, something like 40" or so in height. The original glass was gorgeous, but unfortunately cracked a number of years back and was replaced. I have to agree that the Coco Nara coals are the cream of the crop, they burn hot and long and do not impart any foul taste to the tobacco.

I have a Khalil Mamoon hookah that I just bought. I use Coco Nara coals, along with Al Fakher, Nakhla, and Tangiers (all of which are natural-flavored shisha), Social Smoke and Starbuzz (more of a candy taste), and Nammor hoses. My brother Brad has a large cooler full of shisha, so going to his house is always fun and we always discover new stuff and blends. Orange and vanilla is a good mix, we call it Dreamsicle. Hookah smoking is really popular at my school, Eastern Kentucky University, and my fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha. Pretty much every time I walk across the Ravine (our version of a quad) or by the student center on a nice day, one group, if not more, will have one out.

I learned how to pack a hookah head from a guy in Dubai. I spoke no Arabic, he spoke no English, but he got the point across. There were also a lot of HUGE hookahs there (6' plus), but I couldn't fit one in my carry-on. Sad day!

Kyle: That sucks!!!

i lived in Astoria NYC for a while amongst many Egyptians, Syrians, Lebs. Yeah I learned to enjoy a nice hookah for hours on end on a nice saturday afternoon. literally spend hours in the tea house talking politics, playing cards & dominos (my Caribbean introduction to the teahouse) and backgammon. fun place. I spent some time backpacking Morocco so very comfortable in those places.

Top Bottom