What's new

Anyone here arguileh/hookah?

I'm a big fan. Most people may (or may not) be able to denote that my username alludes my Lebanese heritage. I've been hookah-ing for a while and picked it up being around at family gatherings and visits to Lebanon.

just wondering if anyone shared the habit. I was REALLY big into it, and still am for the most part, but being here and shaving has taken most of the edge off (no pun intended) of the hookah acquisition disorder (yeah, i kinda snagged that term from these boards). whenever i get home i'll take a picture of my 'rotation' and see what you guys think.

until then, cheers!

-Tony

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have one that I used to use a 3 or so times a week when I had a roommate, or I'll get it out one the weekends when the Fiancee is over. I just don't smoke it a lot when I'm home by myself, Instead I'll go up in my office in the attic and smoke a pipe or cigar. I do like how I can smoke it in the living room and their is no crappy tobacco smoke smell the next day.

i haven't forgotten about the photos i was just pretty busy this weekend. i'll get to it hopefully sometime early this week - in the mean time, take it easy everyone

I've smoked a small home one on and off for a few years but lately I've been going to local establishments and getting different flavoured ones to smoke on site. the difference of having proper coals vs instantlight or bbq coal is awesome, and the ability to jump between flavours is nice.

So far the best I've had was a blend of mint (very subtle) and apple. I had melon once but the flavour was a tad too mild for my taste.

Been smoking from a small ebay hookah for about 4 years. One of these days I should upgrade to a nicer unit that better fits my needs (I mostly smoke alone and mine is a 2 hose unit), but it just hasn't been enough of a priority to lay out the somewhat significant investment in a nice unit.

Favorite shisha is Al Fakher Golden Grapes. I've also been enjoying selections from starbuzz (White Peach is really great), and Fumari.

http://www.hookahforum.com/ is pretty good. A lot of the guys there take hookah as seriously as we take shaving.

I used to for the longest time, till I picked up pipe smoking and DE shaving (where all my money for hookah stuff went) I actually picked up my hookah a few weeks ago to smoke it but the stem snapped in half and I don't feel like paying 130-175 for a nice KM hookah right now. October coming up hookah head and I'd recommend romman or starbuzz I forget (pumpkin spice/pumpkin pie)

Just found this thread,

Big fan of hookah here. Got into it a few years because they suddenly opened up so many hookah cafes in NYC. So inevitably gave it a shot and was hooked. I was in India visiting family last year and picked a nice a hookah for home use, which I still use rather often.

These days I'm living a bit outside DC and as it turns out they have some great hookah cafes around the city!

So question for you all. One day we went to a hookah place in DC. On the hookah menu they had a flavor called "zaghloul". Having no idea what it was, we ordered it. The waiter was really surprised we asked for it and made sure like 5 times that we really wanted it. Long story short, we got it and the stuff is amazing. It hits so much harder then regular shisha. It was pretty awesome. So my question, anyone else tried zaghloul?

I dont smoke 'em. But I've been strongly considering it. Especially since they have SOOoooo many of them for sale here at stupid-low prices. Like anything else, I'm sure you get what you pay for, but for someone not knowing what I'm getting into, I'm sure theyd be fine. Either way, they'd make a great display.

Here's a dumb question: Can a single person use one that has more than one hose?

OP: My family is from Lebanon as well. Small world, I guess. I'm a second gen in the states. Havent been back there in years, though. I dont really picture myself going back there any time soon either.

Hey psychlopath!

In my experience, single hose hookahs tend to smoke better than dual hose. Now this may be a difference in build quality, but im not really sure. Thats just been my experience.

But I actually have a dual hose but i plugged one side of it with a cork from a wine bottle haha. The more elgant solution however is to buy a ball bearing from Home Depot for the side you are not using, thus making it easily accessible should you want to use it in the future. Now I've never tried this, but I heard it works fairly well.

About getting what you pay, to a certain point that is true. But if you consider how a hookah works, the mechanics are fairly simple. So after a certain threshold your paying for the aesthetics

Love my Mya Parragon 4 hose hookah. I love the refreshing taste. I like Blue mist flavor alot and Rose is still my favorite flavor.

When i was living in Turkey they were quite widespread there...Social and cultural tradition, i've tried some at cafes terrazas . The water made of roses and several mixes of tobacco were the perfect way to end a negociation or a hard business. I didn't bring one back to home but, on plane, i traveled with a young lady who had bought one for his boyfriend. Showing me her shisha i noticed a missing piece...:lol: The vendor sold her the hookah without the bowl, bowl grommet and ashtray!!:laugh:

But what i miss the most from Turkey is the turkish barber, all experts, and the hammam bath (with a turkish massage to break bones!!):blink:

I find hookah to be a very relaxing and enjoyable social instrument. Unfortunately the morons who run my county decided to interpret a poorly-written state law targeting gas station crack pipes as also banning hookahs, so outside of a few exempted local hookah bars, it's now illegal to own or buy one here.

They're nice places, mind you, but I'd love to be able to enjoy some shisha with a few friends on my front porch. Sometimes the ignorance of legislatures and law enforcement regarding drug use is astounding.

I haven't since I quit smoking. I guess I'm just afraid of nicotine at this point. Too many times there and back. But every so often I think about breaking one out.

One of my fondest memories is being out on the Wahiba sands in the middle of the night with a younger Omani guy and a narguili. For those who haven't tried one, its a truly social experience. Single pipe, passed between future friends.

By the way, where are the photos? :biggrin:

I acquired a taste for shisha shortly after I arrived in Iraq. It's the smoking equivalent to shaving.

The hookah geeks are just as informed (and passionate) about every nuance. From manufacturers, hoses, shisha (and mixing recipes), etc.

I'm currently have a 16" single hose Mya Diva for my regular smoking while I'm deployed.

proxy.php

When I get home I'm planning on getting a nice Khalil Mamoon (33" or so).

I no longer suffer from RAD. I have full blown HAD. :laugh:

I'm in with the I used to when I smoked group. I've unfortunetly been picking up the ciggeretts again due to stress, maybe huka will be a way to get my fix with out smoking too much. I can't smoke at work and don't think the NYPD would see me sitting in SOHO on the steps smoking a huka as houmors as I see it.

So I guess i'm a bit spoiled here in detroit but $175 for an argileh? that's crazy, we get them for like $10 all the way up to $75 (unless you don't speak arabic then you may get hit for a few more dollars). I bought my rotating one 10 years ago for $40 out the door and it has been my favorite ever since.

The 2 hose argileh definitely is worst than a single hose as they either have to have a check valve or someone has to plug the other side. So either you need two people or you get a difficult drag on the other side. Plus it is a social thing so the actual act of passing the pipe is very important.

So question for you all. One day we went to a hookah place in DC. On the hookah menu they had a flavor called "zaghloul". Having no idea what it was, we ordered it. The waiter was really surprised we asked for it and made sure like 5 times that we really wanted it. Long story short, we got it and the stuff is amazing. It hits so much harder then regular shisha. It was pretty awesome. So my question, anyone else tried zaghloul?

I'm not surprised, usually only "seasoned" smokers even know what that is. It gives you a hell of a buzz but has an "acquired" taste to it. If you want to go real hardcore and impress your arab friends ask for al ajami. That's the old school tobacco even more hardcore than zagloul. BTW zagloul should set you back like $5 for a 250g container if you can find it.

I love hookah. Then again I love REAL cigars, cigarettes, and pretty much anything to do with tobacco.

But I currently own two hookahs and they've been move than enough. I own a large three-hose seen here:
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-147-abyss-3-hose-hookah.html
I've also got a small Mya which I got for free the last time I bulk ordered shisha and coals. As far as hoses, Nammor washable hoses all the way.

I personally have never had any problems with my three hose. It came with the ball-bearing stopper system but I cork the other two with rubber stoppers when smoking solo. It hits just as well as any single-hose I've ever tried. As for the Mya, for a freebie (and also for it's size), it smokes like a dream.

I've fallen in love with the whole hookah thing. It's a nice, social, enjoyable time. I've particularly take a liking to StarBuzz Blue Mist. While I'm probably showing my age here, it definitely doesn't hurt that girls/women flat out seem to love trying hookah.

Top Bottom