What's new

Anyone heard of The Scripto liquid lead pen?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
It had to have been around 1958-1959 when I had a Scripto liquid lead pen/pencil. It was a ball point with an eraser that could erase the grey colored ink. The clip had a plastic red piece that you would slide down to expose the point or up to retract it. My teacher said I couldn’t use it because it was neither fish nor foul. It’s the pen at the far right. If I remember correctly mine had an orange barrel with a cream top.

Attachments

• 8A3147A5-E56E-4F13-8E8D-FFB30BE8B478.jpeg
    8A3147A5-E56E-4F13-8E8D-FFB30BE8B478.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I had a relatively cheap erasable ink pen in school and some of my teachers also didn't like them to be used as the answers on tests could be changed after grading and thereby cheat for a better grade while also making the teacher look like they mis-graded the sheet..

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I had a relatively cheap erasable ink pen in school and some of my teachers also didn't like them to be used as the answers on tests could be changed after grading and thereby cheat for a better grade while also making the teacher look like they mis-graded the sheet..
I wish I had thought of that back in the day.

Parker also had a Liquid Lead "pencil" in the 1950s as part of the Parker 51 line. It was pretty much a zero and got discontinued after a few years. It would dry out fairly quickly, and it didn't really take hold in the market. You can still sometimes find Parker 51 sets on eBay that contain a fountain pen and a LL pencil, but the pencil is pretty much useless because all the refills have dried out long ago.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Interesting. Looks like an early effort at making an erasable pen. I used those terrible erasable Papermates when I was a kid in the 80's. The Pilot FriXion is MUCH better.

Top Bottom