What's new

Anyone have experience with the TGN "Master Badger" knots?

These are new since last I visited TGN (so maybe not all that new) and the shorter 60mm loft would be a benefit in my use.

TIA!

There have been a few postings here about that knot. What stood out to me from one of the postings is that it was a bit scritchy and perhaps borderline prickly.

There have been a few postings here about that knot. What stood out to me from one of the postings is that it was a bit scritchy and perhaps borderline prickly.

That sounds like the exact opposite of what someone spending good money on a silvertip is looking for. Those qualities can be found in a cheap pure.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Looks like a grade below their best, just above pure....so I would expect the knot to be quite scritchy (I have used some best years ago and they were something I did not like on my face at all).

The description I used is “comfortably utilitarian”. Not a luxury knot, but I’m happy with mine as a daily driver.

I have one in a Rubberset Turnback Travel brush.

I like them for a small diameter travel brush.

I would say somewhat scritchy but not prickly.

Not my softest knot but I have no plans to replace it.

For comparison I also tried some Shave Forge knots. I love their 2-band but the Super and Finest were too scritchy for me and are going in brushes I’m selling.

Don’t think I’d buy TGN master in a larger knot but it’s hard to find a decent 18mm knot and as @jnelson_22 said it’s definitely comfortably utilitarian.

Thanks for those first hand reviews jnelson_22 and MOKH, would you describe them as normal or densely packed knots?

IMG_6283.jpg

Here's the TGN Master Badger 18mm in my Rubberset Travel Brush

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Its scratchy on my face. I can use it, but it's not my favorite. The hairs seem thinner in diameter too. Maybe it's the section of badger they come from. Put one in a handle I restored. Was hoping for less scritch. Lesson learned, happy days ahead. It may get softer as we go. If not, its gotta go.

I used my TGN Premium 18mm today and yes, it's a much softer brush. I needed the shorter loft for the Turnback but this handle was perfect for the Premium.

3347EC2C-8615-4913-B099-1FF1FBDCB141.jpeg

Top Bottom