What's new

Anyone have experience with Maggard Silvertip Knots?

I posted this on the brush making sub forum but had no response. There is more readership here.

I recently purchased a nice 26mm handle and I'm looking for an appropriate knot for it. I currently have three brushes with Maggard Two Band Knots, a 24mm and two 26mm and I'm extremely pleased with them. I shaved with the 24mm one this morning. I have noticed their Silvertip knots on their website and I'm greatly interested. Has anyone had experience with them and what do you think of them?

OK, I ordered 26mm one anyway and I'll report back when I have it installed and try it out. I also ordered two Maggard Synthetics. Anyone have experience with their synthetics?

I’m surprised you didn’t get a response. I was going to email them about the differences on their badger knots since I want to breathe some life into the Van Der Hagen brush handle(was a gift from my brother). I never really got around to it though.

I should have followed up on this thread. I did post about the making of two brushes, first the Silvertip and second with the black and white synthetic.

The Silvertip is really nice. It isn't the softest Silvertip I have, but not bad and the balance between softness and backbone is very nice. I would recommend it. I'm not sure I would recommend it above a Whipped Dog, ACE, or Virginia Sheng Silvertip in a 24mm though.

The synthetic is surprising. I'm still dialing it in. It has a different point in the balance between too much and not enough water and that balance point is razor thin. When I get it working right though it is lush and lovely in every respect. So far I would also say it needs a large mug too.

Big Jim, I have the 22mm Maggard black and white brush. Suspect Yaqi makes the knot. I start with just damp tips. No soaking! Then I add a wee drop or two as needed. It sure does not require much H2o.

Happy shaves,

Mac

The Silvertip is really nice. It isn't the softest Silvertip I have, but not bad and the balance between softness and backbone is very nice. I would recommend it. I'm not sure I would recommend it above a Whipped Dog, ACE, or Virginia Sheng Silvertip in a 24mm though.

Current offering from WD or older versions? What property do you find better with the WD knot vs Maggard?

@Big Jim I have read a lot about Maggards and APShaveCo knots being very similiar or even sourced from the same place. Either way, consensus seems to be that they make solid synthetic knots. It really depends on the qualities you want and the type of lathering you do.

So far, in my limited experience, the Tuxedo knots have great backbone and feel as if you are massaging your face with a small hand-ball. On the other hand, I find them more difficult to face lather because they repel water (as with all synthetics) and don't splay as well as other softer models. Excellent for bowl lathering, though.

Now that you have the black n white knot, you need something like a cashmere knot to compare with (unless you have one already)

I have brushes with Maggards Silvertip and Maggards 2-band badger. The Silvertip splays more. The 2-band badger has more backbone and feels like a denser knot. My personal preference is the 2-band badger. Plus the 2-band badger is a little less expensive.

On reflection I would say that my 26mm Maggard Two Band brushes are stellar in their category of Finest or Two Band. Really top of the class. My 24mm Maggard Two Band is very nice but not stellar.

My Maggard Silvertip is really nice, but not stellar. I have several Silvertips that I would rank above it.

@Big Jim I have read a lot about Maggards and APShaveCo knots being very similiar or even sourced from the same place. Either way, consensus seems to be that they make solid synthetic knots. It really depends on the qualities you want and the type of lathering you do.

So far, in my limited experience, the Tuxedo knots have great backbone and feel as if you are massaging your face with a small hand-ball. On the other hand, I find them more difficult to face lather because they repel water (as with all synthetics) and don't splay as well as other softer models. Excellent for bowl lathering, though.

Now that you have the black n white knot, you need something like a cashmere knot to compare with (unless you have one already)

My experience with Whipped Dog knots are mostly from earlier product. Not just mine, but one of my friends as well. I reknotted my grandfathers ancient Erskine with a Whipped Dog 20mm Silvertip and it is exceptional. I currently buy mostly ACE for small projects using Finest and Silvertip knots and I'm very impressed. ACE made a custom 26mm Silvertip knot for me for a home made handle that is exceptional.

Top Bottom