What's new

Anyone have any experience with the cheap Lord razors you see on amazon?

I thought you mentioned three razors in your post. The L5, the “old” L6 (LP1822) and the “new L6” S625-1. I thought the S625-1 is the Shark “Merkur style head without Lord Logo” and then there is the Lord L6 (LP1822), with the Lord logo on cap
I just mentioned the older L6 as a comparison to the newer S625-1, they look alike but there is a small difference in blade gap from what I have seen on pictures ;)

You are bad influence now I’m curious about the S6 compared to my L6 lol
RBC sell them for a good price, and even better price on their fleabay site ;)

Lord_S625_1_rsz.jpg

I know lol I currently have the “new” L5 coming from them
If you like your razors on the aggressive side you're gonna love S625-1.
I use my S625-1 with smooth blades like Voskhod, Lord Platinum and Astra SP but as always, YMMV
My Lord L5 shave with no problem what ever blade I use, its a very forgiving razor, mild and smooth.

If you like your razors on the aggressive side you're gonna love S625-1.
I use my S625-1 with smooth blades like Voskhod, Lord Platinum and Astra SP but as always, YMMV
My Lord L5 shave with no problem what ever blade I use, its a very forgiving razor, mild and smooth.

I’m curious to which head made it in the Shark SH.25 also... not big fan of the plastic handle in the Shark though.. same handle as the Baili/Yingjili/Super Blue/7oClock/Rapier/etc

The old L5 Tech Clone is what I started out shaving with 10 years ago. Mine had a plastic baseplate. I still have it but don't use it as often as it is a touch milder than I currently prefer, but it was a great learning tool. I probably used it for 6 months as a daily driver before investing in a vintage Gillette Slim.

I picked up a 625 in the past year just because I wanted a Merkur head clone. I can get some close shaves with it. I usually hang a beefier handle on it just because the thinner aluminum handles those Lord's come with just aren't my favorites. It's not my main driver but I like to rotate it in from time to time.

For the price they are certainly attractive if functionality is one of your driving forces.

The old L5 Tech Clone is what I started out shaving with 10 years ago. Mine had a plastic baseplate. I still have it but don't use it as often as it is a touch milder than I currently prefer, but it was a great learning tool. I probably used it for 6 months as a daily driver before investing in a vintage Gillette Slim.

I picked up a 625 in the past year just because I wanted a Merkur head clone. I can get some close shaves with it. I usually hang a beefier handle on it just because the thinner aluminum handles those Lord's come with just aren't my favorites. It's not my main driver but I like to rotate it in from time to time.

For the price they are certainly attractive if functionality is one of your driving forces.

I use to pair my S625-1 head with my Parker 111b handle.
Great combo

I use to pair my S625-1 head with my Parker 111b handle.
Great combo
I have an inexpensive DE89 clone from Amazon and I use it's handle when I need to. The 625 head on that handle is an efficient little whisker mower. I had an Astra SP in that combo a few weeks back and it provided a no-muss no-fuss BBS in 3 passes and no cleanup. A $7 razor with a 7 cent blade and some Cella was all I needed that day.

I have an inexpensive DE89 clone from Amazon and I use it's handle when I need to. The 625 head on that handle is an efficient little whisker mower. I had an Astra SP in that combo a few weeks back and it provided a no-muss no-fuss BBS in 3 passes and no cleanup. A $7 razor with a 7 cent blade and some Cella was all I needed that day.
My S625 head together with Parker 111b handle and a Voskhod or Lord Silver Star is also very efficient.

I’m thinking about cutting down one of the black, plastic handles. I just don’t know how I’d like to finish the end after cutting so it doesn’t look like just chopped off haha maybe some type of cap

What razor is the DE89 clone?

I purchased the Lord S625-1 (aka – Smart; LP1822 New; L6) after reading posts from @talibeard about the Lord L6. As there appear to have been several iterations of Lords razors (tech type head; merkur type head) and possibly different blade gaps on these different heads over the years, I think this maybe the reason why there are such divergent views. For me, the Lord S625-1 (merkur style head with aluminium handle) is a fantastic shaver, one of my favourites and I have many vintage and new razors. I would classify it as a mid-efficient shaver, certainly more efficient than a 34c or R89; very similar, in terms of efficiency, smoothness and shaving angle to my Weber PH. The pencil thin, long aluminium handle, counterintuitively, affords the razor a wonderful balance, accuracy and agility that I have not found in any other razor. I was so enamoured with the way the Lord S625-1 shaves that I purchased another as a back-up (less than GBP £5 delivered in the UK and that includes a tuck of Lord blades!). The razors construction is more than fit for purpose, (Chromed zinc alloy head with an aluminium handle). Sure it is not a jewelley piece and yes the chrome plating does not match an R89, but I do not think there will be any issues with durability if a modicum of care is exercised. This razor is an absolute diamond in the rough that has a simple, utilitarian honesty about it. My other razors maybe better made, finished or branded — but none shave better.

0C586EF5-F97A-4A9E-8D90-B3E1E6F2B08F_1_201_a.jpeg

958A594A-2271-4574-8695-6DF70A8C72D0_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
As there appear to have been several iterations of Lords razors (tech type head; merkur type head) and possibly different blade gaps on these different heads over the years, I think this maybe the reason why there are such divergent views
There is another significant reason as there have been substancial number of counterfeits on the market of the Merkur-like head, mostly through Russian vendors. I received one from a member on a Dutch shaving forum and you would not have been able to notice the difference (including the packaging) without an original next to it. Some of them are impossible to shave with as with the razor mentioned; it was casted so that there was no blade gap so a shave was impossible. If you have a Lord razor with numbers casted in the basepalte you are the (not so) lucky owner of a fake.

With the real deal I agree that you have a razor that performs way above its pricetag.

I received the Lord L6 from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and have used it since. My only point of reference is the Merkur Progress (better construction, adjustable, and 8x more expensive). Like others I bought the Lord for use as a potentially forgotten travel razor, but I really like it: for the money, and even on its own, it is comfortable, nicely made, nice weight and balance, and good shaving qualities.

On the first shave (with a Feather blade) I found it to be aggressive, and gave me minor razor burn (no cuts). For a secondary razor, a travel razor, or a first-time razor it is great!

razors.jpg

There is another significant reason as there have been substancial number of counterfeits on the market of the Merkur-like head, mostly through Russian vendors. I received one from a member on a Dutch shaving forum and you would not have been able to notice the difference (including the packaging) without an original next to it. Some of them are impossible to shave with as with the razor mentioned; it was casted so that there was no blade gap so a shave was impossible. If you have a Lord razor with numbers casted in the basepalte you are the (not so) lucky owner of a fake.

With the real deal I agree that you have a razor that performs way above its pricetag.

If this is so, the one I have would be a fake, although it shaves great. It has what looks like "5 D" stamped on the baseplate! I will contact Lord direct and see what they say! thanks for the info.

A673EF17-6BEC-41B4-A97D-349FCF99BA9B_1_201_a.jpeg

If this is so, the one I have would be a fake, although it shaves great. It has what looks like "5 D" stamped on the baseplate! I will contact Lord direct and see what they say! thanks for the info.

View attachment 1361834
That plate looks fake, though the shape is very similar. The genuine Merkur has a much smoother surface. It has only 10 scallops on each side. There's no lettering cast into the surface.

That plate looks fake, though the shape is very similar. The genuine Merkur has a much smoother surface. It has only 10 scallops on each side. There's no lettering cast into the surface.

Thank you for the feedback. I am still not sure as I checked Lord's global website; the picture of their merkur style head has the same number of scallops, 12 not 10, and does have some, either letters, numbers or logo stamped on the base plate, it is difficult to determine the exact markings as their photo is not clear. In any event I have contacted Lord direct, I am certainly curious.

Pleased to say that Lord International responded quickly to my enquiry. My S625 is genuine. They advised that in Europe RazorBladeClub (RBC) and the retail webstore named after a forest and a river, sell their products. Indeed RBC appears to sell the L5 and L6 and the numerous derivatives of each model (e.g. plastic handle / aluminium handle, with/without blades including the Shark derivative).

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Lord's L6 is a terrific razor. I always include one in my rotation.

No snob appeal, but a solid, albeit mild, performer. Just go ahead and buy one.

Also, several B&Brs use them for travel. All aluminum, they weight next to nothing. And for what they cost, if you leave yours in some hotel bathroom, you'll be spared the heartbreak of forgetting your Wolfman.

Top Bottom