What's new

Anyone have a two-tone Gillette TTO replate?

I was looking at backroadsgold, and it looks like Chris does two-tone replating. I saw a pic of a Gillette TTO with nickle doors, end caps and center bar. The rest was gold.

Wow.

If I get any of mine done, I'm going for the two-tone look, if in fact it is available.

Anybody here have one? I'd love to see pictures.

Just on a sidenote to Chris at BRG, I'm hearing more and more positive reports.

there is a YT channel called Friendship Shaving, UK based. Nice guy. He likes to talk about the historical background of vintages, and does it well. He covers moderns too. He had a givaway with Chris who agreed to replate someones razor free of charge, worldwide. Nice prize.

I would certainly 'trust' BRG if I ever could afford a replate and revamp.

Last edited:

there is a YT channel called Friendship Shaving, UK based. Nice guy. He likes to talk about the historical background of vintages, and does it well. He covers moderns too. He had a givaway with Chris who agreed to replate someones razor free of charge, worldwide. Nice prize.

That's how to properly build a loyal customer base.

I also have read nothing but good things about Chris, and after viewing the photos, well, a picture IS worth a thousand words. His work looks second to none, and his prices seem very reasonable.

The one thing I don't get is seeing a beautifully replated Tech at his Etsy store for the same price he charges to plate your own razor that you send him. So, essentially you are getting a free razor if you buy one at his store...right?

...and yes, I would be very selective regarding my replate candidates. If I ever do it, it would be my birth year razors. A '57 nickel Superspeed and a '57 Red Tip.

I would love to get a two-tone replate on the nickel Superspeed.

When I began expanding my accumulation of vintage razors, I only wanted "perfect" examples - finish unmarred by the wear, corrosion and plating loss from time. The "better" condition razors were all becoming more expensive than I cared to pay, but I didn't want old corroded, worn and beat-looking razors for daily use shaving, but I didn't want to wear the laquer or plating finish on my "perfect" razors (all 5 of them). For me, refurbishing and replating made more sense, since I'd still have nice-looking razors, but at more reasonable cost.
I found Backroads Gold, and was impressed by the examples shown on his website. BUT how good would that old, corroded, ¢rappy-looking razor I got from E-Bay really be? I sent in a rough-looking $10 fat handle Tech, and got a showpiece back. Same with a raggedy-looking Sheraton, and later an adjustable Aristocrat that looks great alongside my original-condition Slim Adjustable. A beautiful #160 Goodwill with no cracks in the handle or wear on the lacquer finish shaves beautifully. I used it on weekends and special occasions, but didn't want to put excessive miles on it. A Goodwill head with mismatched handle looked like an archeological dig-up, but returned from Backroads Gold in pristine condition - it's among my daily drivers.
Chris does amazing work at a fair price, and has quick turnaround times.
That corroded old piece of junk that barely escaped the landfill is now restored to its' former glory, and will provide shaving satisfaction for generations to come.
Sheraton Re-Plate.jpg

When I began expanding my accumulation of vintage razors, I only wanted "perfect" examples - finish unmarred by the wear, corrosion and plating loss from time. The "better" condition razors were all becoming more expensive than I cared to pay, but I didn't want old corroded, worn and beat-looking razors for daily use shaving, but I didn't want to wear the laquer or plating finish on my "perfect" razors (all 5 of them). For me, refurbishing and replating made more sense, since I'd still have nice-looking razors, but at more reasonable cost.
I found Backroads Gold, and was impressed by the examples shown on his website. BUT how good would that old, corroded, ¢rappy-looking razor I got from E-Bay really be? I sent in a rough-looking $10 fat handle Tech, and got a showpiece back. Same with a raggedy-looking Sheraton, and later an adjustable Aristocrat that looks great alongside my original-condition Slim Adjustable. A beautiful #160 Goodwill with no cracks in the handle or wear on the lacquer finish shaves beautifully. I used it on weekends and special occasions, but didn't want to put excessive miles on it. A Goodwill head with mismatched handle looked like an archeological dig-up, but returned from Backroads Gold in pristine condition - it's among my daily drivers.
Chris does amazing work at a fair price, and has quick turnaround times.
That corroded old piece of junk that barely escaped the landfill is now restored to its' former glory, and will provide shaving satisfaction for generations to come.
View attachment 1467672
Your razor looks great. 👍

I was hoping to see some two-tone examples.

I was looking at backroadsgold, and it looks like Chris does two-tone replating. I saw a pic of a Gillette TTO with nickle doors, end caps and center bar. The rest was gold.

Wow.

If I get any of mine done, I'm going for the two-tone look, if in fact it is available.

Anybody here have one? I'd love to see pictures.
Don't recall where I saw it, but someone posted a Fatboy (?) that was replated in nickel with gold doors and twist handle end. Not anything I'd necessarily do, but it was quite striking-looking.

Don't recall where I saw it, but someone posted a Fatboy (?) that was replated in nickel with gold doors and twist handle end. Not anything I'd necessarily do, but it was quite striking-looking.

I know. To some, plating a vintage razor in mixed metal would be like painting a Model T pink, but I have a few Gillette TTOs and thought it would be fun to own a two-tone.

I would certainly 'trust' BRG if I ever could afford a replate and revamp.
I recently sent a G2 Fatboy to Chris for a nickel replate, so I'll let you know how it comes out once it arrives.

Why not drop Chris an email? [email protected] He's very accommodating.
You are most welcome to join The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society) in the Clubs and Brotherhoods section, ShaverAZ.
And we'd most definitely like to see your pics there too. :drool:
I recently sent a G2 Fatboy to Chris for a nickel replate, so I'll let you know how it comes out once it arrives.
We'd love your report and pics at the BRGAS when you've received it, Mitch.

Top Bottom