What's new

Anyone have a simple set up

How about: Merkur 1904/1906 razor, Personna med. Blades, pure badger brush, VDH Deluxe soap, witch hazel AS. That's all I need.

Marv

I've got a number of samples, and I'm still trying some out... but I've got a set of favorites that I always seem to come back to:
Maggard MR1 razor, Astra SP blades, Vie-Long horsehair, c.o Bigelow or Arko shave soap, and Thayer's alcohol-free witch hazel. It's a really hard combo to beat, IMHO.

I have plenty of stuff in my den, but what I'm actually using right now is very simple...

1. Ball-end Tech w/Personna Lab
2. Arko
3. Corn Husker's for pre-shave
4. Witch hazel

Doesn't get much simpler than that.

I have ambitions of one day becoming more of a minimalist.

I have only been doing this since August, so I am still trying out things.

I have tried the Super Speed, Schick Krona, Slim Tech, Old Type Open Comb, Gillette New, and Merkur 37C Slant. I am settling on mostly the Slant. I admit to being curious about the R41, but I can see myself falling into a rhythm with one or two razors and that being it.

I have tried a lot of soaps, and am narrowing them down to Stirling, Tabac and the Fat. I can be content with those, I believe.

Brushes are where I struggle.

Two Whipped Dog Silvertips, one a bulb set deep and the other a fan; an Omega 49, a Semogue 620 and a 1305 on the way.

And I really want a Semogue SOC.

See?

I admit to being curious about the R41

Don't try. You will hate the BBS from all other razors after that. This is my problem after I sold my R41. Nobody knows what a true BBS is unless they have tried a R41. Not knowing it is a bliss and you will be happy with the result of your other razors. :biggrin1:

(Or was this to "enable" :blush:)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm not philosophically a minimalist.

I use one razor virtually every day because I like it better than my other razors. I usually use either one of my SOC's or my BK8 - but I know those are my favorites because I have a large enough collection to make an informed decision.

I rotate Castle Forbes and Ultimate Comfort because I like them the best of the 25 or so creams I have tired. I don't regret trying even one of those creams, I just don't like them enough to replace them at this time.

So I guess I ended up a bit of a minimalist, but I don't leave my curiosity unsatisfied and if I see something I want I buy it. I'm not that young - I can't afford a lot of missed opportunities.:biggrin1:

I'm pretty much a minimalist. Been at this for 2 years, and I have 1 razor (Edwin Jagger 89DE), 1 brush, use one type of blade (Astra SP, $11/100), 3 soaps (2 QCS and 1 Mama Bear), 1 cream (C.O. Bigelow) and 1 after shave. I didn't try out a lot of stuff starting out either, just a "sample pack" of blades. Figured out what balde worked best for me in the razor, and that was that.

I like the QCS soaps, and since I like to support local craftsmen when I can (QCS is located in literally the next town over from me), I see no reason to try other soaps.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Right now and for all of 2014 I am only using:

Simpson Eagle
Merkur 37c
Astra SP
RR Don Marco
Handmade shaving bowl
Organic, unrefined, raw Shea Butter

if there is no 2014 ultimate shaving challenge then I will use different soaps but just 1 til done b4 moving to another.

Last edited:
I have two razors, a merkur slant and an EJde89. I have two brushes an old pure badger AOS brush that is the one I use most, and then a Vie long horse hair that I use for tougher soaps. I use the same blade, a Polsilver, everyday. However I have more soaps, creams and aftershaves then I could use in a year and only more on the way as I'm getting the Penhaligons Sartorial for christmas.

I stumbled into my current setup,
cold water shave.
R41,alum block, home made shaving oil(castor+olive oil)
I'm getting the best shaves ever and I don't even need any after shave care with this setup and the alum block I am using more out of habit than any real need.

I consider my self to be a minimalist but I still do have a few options on deck.
proraso white being my #1
but I keep a tub of cella hiding somewhere.
as for razors only 2
I have 5 brushes but only use the 2 in pic
RUBBERSET/ever ready
Now when it comes to cologne I have 5/6

but what you see is what I use every time.
it depends on the person,I've been wet shaving over three years now and have tried many many different soaps/pucks
I think it's something you must go threw before you pick what you want for your shaves
But it's nice to try different things from time to time.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 37
Generally speaking I am a minimalist. I used my Merkur 34C for years, and only just acquired my second razor last week. I worked through a sampler pack of blades, but have stuck with Derbies for over a year. I bought a 100 pack so I'll have them for quite a while. They work well for me so I feel no need to change them.

Where I do change things up periodically is my choice of soap and aftershave. For the last year I've been using a combination of Ogllala Bay Rum shaving soap and Pinaud's Bay Rum aftershave. In the winter I've switched the aftershave to Saint Charles Shave's Bay Rum with a Twist since I tend to suffer from dry skin this time of year. But I also have several other soaps and after shaves on hand that I'll eventually burn through before finally settling down to a preferred combination.

Top Bottom