What's new

Anyone Have A Dad That Still Uses Carts?

My dad outright refuses to try DE shaving however, I did convert him to using soaps/creams with a brush and he loves it!

He now has a rotation of 20 (which was forced upon him :D) and he was using a Simpson Commodore X2 Best badger but after trying my 26mm Yaqi tuxedo synthetic, he is now using the synthetic exclusively and returned the Simpson to me.

He found the change to synthetic absolutely amazing and said he'd never go back to badger.

He's very happy with his Gillette fusion razor though so no getting him away from that.

My dad outright refuses to try DE shaving however, I did convert him to using soaps/creams with a brush and he loves it!

He now has a rotation of 20 (which was forced upon him :D) and he was using a Simpson Commodore X2 Best badger but after trying my 26mm Yaqi tuxedo synthetic, he is now using the synthetic exclusively and returned the Simpson to me.

He found the change to synthetic absolutely amazing and said he'd never go back to badger.

He's very happy with his Gillette fusion razor though so no getting him away from that.
Cool Nav! What soaps are his favorite?

Cool Nav! What soaps are his favorite?

He loves the TOBS avocado cream the best but he's happy to use the 20 soaps and creams I forced upon him.

He doesn't really rotate them much and tends to struck with one product for a while. Not necessarily finishing it but definitely no daily rotations.

I on the other hand hate to repeat even one soap two days in a row, unless traveling in which case I take 4 sticks with me ( DIY MWF, DIY LEA classic, Speick and DIY DRHarris Windsor).

I use a Cryo Sensor Excel when traveling. No issues, no problems... just a very close, comfortable shave. The DE and Straights are used at home.

My dad had a Gillette Super Adjustable with plastic baseplate but from what I saw of it, it hadn't been touched in ages. When they visited for the holidays and saw my DE, oh boy. They didn't understand why. To quote my mom, “are you an old man now?”

My dad had a Gillette Super Adjustable with plastic baseplate but from what I saw of it, it hadn't been touched in ages. When they visited for the holidays and saw my DE, oh boy. They didn't understand why. To quote my mom, “are you an old man now?”

LOL. My Super Adjustable is a 1973 T3. I basically got it when I was a college sophomore and used it for about a year. In 1974, sales reps were visiting corner stores on campus, passing out free Trac 2 razors.

Your dad might be like me and got little use out of it before the cartridges hit the market. They are quick and easy, but there’s a reason they aren’t prone to Knick’s and cuts. They don’t shave as well.

Just tell your mom that ladies like a BBS shave!

I’ve had a female coworker ask if I ever shaved, because at the end of a workday, I am still smooth. Cartridges cannot achieve that for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. My Super Adjustable is a 1973 T3. I basically got it when I was a college sophomore and used it for about a year. In 1974, sales reps were visiting corner stores on campus, passing out free Trac 2 razors.

Your dad might be like me and got little use out of it before the cartridges hit the market. They are quick and easy, but there’s a reason they aren’t prone to Knick’s and cuts. They don’t shave as well.

Just tell your mom that ladies like a BBS shave!

I’ve had a female coworker ask if I ever shaved, because at the end of a workday, I am still smooth. Cartridges cannot achieve that for me.

They are a lost cause on the subject. To be fair I wasn't coming from an ineffective cart but from a very efficient, high end electric razor. It made shaving so easy, it was a boring and lifeless chore. It even cleaned itself. I'm happy with the move over to DEs and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

They are a lost cause on the subject. To be fair I wasn't coming from an ineffective cart but from a very efficient, high end electric razor. It made shaving so easy, it was a boring and lifeless chore. It even cleaned itself. I'm happy with the move over to DEs and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

So true. I tried a self cleaning electric for a year. Took me 10 minutes of scrubbing to get reasonably close. With that much effort, I decided to go back to wet shaving and get a great shave.

Yep, my dad just can't get away from the Gillette Fusion. He has no desire for taking time to get a good shave & everything else (brush, lather, loading a blade, cleaning up gear, storing it, etc....). He shaves in shower with goo & a cart, getting it done as quickly as possible.

I can't decide if I'm an outsider looking in or an insider looking out as I read this thread. I'm 74 years old. I have shaved with a DE more years than not. After getting involved with B&B I made a diligent effort to return to DE with no success. I tried for a month using a Black Beauty Slim like the last one I used before moving away from DE using a variety of blades.

I get a closer shave with cartridges, even with the inferior Fusions. With DE have have nicks and weepers nearly every day. I don't miss DE at all.

So I feel like an outsider looking in because this is a discussion among younger guys about guys my age. I feel like an insider looking out because I'm an active participant here in B&B and reading about guys my age who you feel are lost to the cause.

Maybe we of the older generation feel that you younger guys are lost in the past that those of us that lived through it fail to see the nostalgia. The "good old days" weren't always so good.

You should have told her, "When your staying in my house . . ."

:)

I can't decide if I'm an outsider looking in or an insider looking out as I read this thread. I'm 74 years old. I have shaved with a DE more years than not. After getting involved with B&B I made a diligent effort to return to DE with no success. I tried for a month using a Black Beauty Slim like the last one I used before moving away from DE using a variety of blades.

I get a closer shave with cartridges, even with the inferior Fusions. With DE have have nicks and weepers nearly every day. I don't miss DE at all.

So I feel like an outsider looking in because this is a discussion among younger guys about guys my age. I feel like an insider looking out because I'm an active participant here in B&B and reading about guys my age who you feel are lost to the cause.

Maybe we of the older generation feel that you younger guys are lost in the past that those of us that lived through it fail to see the nostalgia. The "good old days" weren't always so good.

I don’t think so. I’m 64, so maybe I’m younger, but I started on DEs. My cartridge shaves show their inferiority later in the day, not so much immediately after the shave.

My 81 year old Dad uses Gillette Blue II disposable razors to shave around his full beard. I have fond memories of him shaving with a Schick injector and before that with a Gillette DE when I was a kid. About a decade ago I gave him a 1930s era Schick and I think it went into the drawer.

I don’t think so. I’m 64, so maybe I’m younger, but I started on DEs. My cartridge shaves show their inferiority later in the day, not so much immediately after the shave.

This is certainly a YMMV issue. One of the reasons I prefer a good cartridge is that I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow with them. I almost always do with a DE. I rotate among several razors, Gillette Fusion, Schick Hydro, Schick Quattro, Harry's, Micro Touch (for travel), and my favorite, Dorco 7. Once in a while I rotate in a DE just to remind myself of why I switched.

My dads using carts but because he on blood thinners and he’ll vut himself less. He actually bought a Micro Touch and after a couple of uses gave it to me cause it just wasn’t working out.

Interesting perspective. I know for myself, nostalgia and longing for the “good old days” wasn’t a part of it at all. I never even saw a DE razor growing up; I was born in the early 80s, and cartridge razors were firmly established by then. I use a DE because the carts always gave me bad razor burn. I use a vintage Gillette because I tried one in a passaround box, and I got the best shave I’d ever had with it. That’s really all there is to it.

Top Bottom