What's new

Anyone have a 303 Field gauge?

Brass life on my No4mk1 seemed to be falling off badly, last time I shot it. I was getting too many broken shells even when neck sizing and with a low reload count. I got a little skeered to be honest, and shelved it.

I am thinking about trying for an elk tag this year, and think it would be way cool to bag one with an Enfield. This got me thinking about getting the old girl out and putting a few rounds down the spout, if it passes a Field gauge.

Anyone have a Field Gauge that I can borrow for a day or two? I would be happy to cover postage both ways, CONUS...

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Brass life on my No4mk1 seemed to be falling off badly, last time I shot it. I was getting too many broken shells even when neck sizing and with a low reload count. I got a little skeered to be honest, and shelved it.

I am thinking about trying for an elk tag this year, and think it would be way cool to bag one with an Enfield. This got me thinking about getting the old girl out and putting a few rounds down the spout, if it passes a Field gauge.

Anyone have a Field Gauge that I can borrow for a day or two? I would be happy to cover postage both ways, CONUS...

I know a guy who has a .303 British, I could ask him if he has a gauge he would lend out?

I know a guy who has a .303 British, I could ask him if he has a gauge he would lend out?

If he has a Field gauge you could borrow for me for a day or two, I would appreciate it greatly. Hate to buy one just for a quick poke down the chamber of one rifle. My understanding is the Field gauge is the one I need.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
If he has a Field gauge you could borrow for me for a day or two, I would appreciate it greatly. Hate to buy one just for a quick poke down the chamber of one rifle. My understanding is the Field gauge is the one I need.

Will do. When do you need it?

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
...Anyone have a Field Gauge that I can borrow for a day or two?...
You probably already know this, but if not, tighter spec US (e.g.,Forster) S.A.A.M.I. Field Gauges measure in at .070, whereas British Military-specced Field Gauges weigh in at .074 ... hence, a SMLE bolt that closes on a S.A.A.M.I. Field Gauge does not necessarily translate into excessive headspacing.

Just out of curiosity, are there specific manufactuer’s that are causing the brass issues ... i.e., S&B, Winchester & Remington .303 British brass pale in comparison to say, PPU brass. Unless you’re throwing hundreds of rounds downrange, I couldn’t imagine why the headspacing, from one shooting session to the next, would have been altered.

I have a couple No.1 Mk5s & they are a hoot to shoot!

Thanks for checking for me! I may pick up a Forster, although, as noted by shoelessjoe, the Forster is a little short and may not tell the true tale. It would still be better than just guessing. A Climer field gauge supposedly has the correct length, but it is eighty bucks.

This was not an overnight occurrence, brass life across all brands seemed to gradually get worse over multiple range sessions, to the point I was experiencing too many broken shells for comfort. May not be anything to worry about, but it got me thinking about a bolt through my eye, and that's when I shelved the rifle.

I may go ahead and buy the Forster and see if that will ease my mind.

The bolt head on a smle #4 mk1 is interchangeable. #1 gives the most headspace. As the numbers get bigger, the heads get longer, thereby reducing headspace. Sloppy headspace is a common complaint with Short Magazine Lee Enfield (SMLE) rifles. Spare parts for smle rifles are getting progressively harder to find. There should be a number from 1 to 4 stamped on the head of the bolt. If it's a 1, you can reduce the headspace by changing the head rather than removing the barrel, cutting it back, and rechambering. There were so many of the guns made that it's not inconceivable that bolt parts could be a mismatch.
The rear-locking SMLE action is probably not the culprit. I have a #4 Mk1 that I rebarrelled to 7.62 (308). Cases dont stretch.
If you decide you need a different bolt head and you can't source one, pm me. I might be able to find one for you. While SMLEs are plentiful in Canada, bolt heads are getting difficult to find. They should be almost unobtainium status in USA.
Btw -303British headspaces on the rim, so the shorty guage should work fine.

Here's a way to check your headspace without a go/nogo guage.
Cut some brass shimstock the same diameter as the case head (I use .002 to .004")
Stick the shim to the case head of a factory cartridge with a little wax or grease.
Chamber the round and close the bolt. (insert safety stuff here...)
Did you feel any resistance when closing the bolt?
If not, your headspace is more than the thickness of the shim.
Add another shim and try again. (repeat safety stuff again...)
Keep adding shims until there is a definite feel when you close the bolt. Kind of like what it feels like when you close the bolt on a tight neck-sized case.
Carefully remove the now-stuck-together shims and measure the thickness. That is your approximate headspace.
You can get brass shimstock for a few bucks a sheet rather than $$$ for a guage.

@Ricksplace that is an excellent idea on the brass shimming behind a factory round. I think I will give that a shot.

My bolt head is the next size down from max (no. 2? I can't remember which way the numbers for the bolt heads run). If you have a source for the max size bolt heads (no. 3?) then I may be in touch. I am going to try to hit up the hardware store for some brass shim stock first and see how bad things are.

Credit for that idea goes to P. O. Ackley. I had his two volume set about gunsmithing. I wish i could remember who I lent it to. Next time I'm in my LGS (local gun shop), I'll ask the gunsmith/owner about a #3 bolt head. He's a smle guru.
BTW - I should have mentioned, I pull the bullet and dump the powder before chambering the case. Since you're a handloader, I'd fl size the case after I pulled the bullet and dumped the powder in case pulling the bullet distorts the case neck which could give you a false reading.

Last edited:
20190202_044919.jpg

Well, after playing around with some brass shims (thanks again @Ricksplace ), I've decided that my No.4Mk1* is okay. I must have just had a few pieces of brass that were past their lifespan, or maybe I was pushing loads a bit too stoutly at the time.

In any event, I have blown the dust off her, and dropped her in a cheapo ATI sporter stock. Shaved about a couple of pounds off her weight. She comes in at 9.8 pounds now, with 5 rounds in the mag and a sling attached. Before, she was pushing twelve pounds.

Before any purists blow a fuse, no Enfields were harmed in the making of this sporter. All mods are 100% reversible in a couple of hours, tops.

Top Bottom