What's new

Anyone Hanging on to a Razor Mainly Because of the Forums?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
So I am questioning my own den here. I will be using my Merkur 39c as my main example. Yes, it does give me a great shave. Yes, it is a well crafted and efficient razor. No, I don't reach for it unless "Slantember" or any number of other threads come up on the forum.

So what I am saying is really the only thing I'd miss about this razor is the ability to participate in certain aspects of the forum and the camaraderie resulting.

I am not saying it is go in to wind up on the BST but if I am honest with myself it might belong there.

Can anyone relate?

If I like something I will have a variety of them.
Do I need 100 pairs of shoes? Do I need 30 or so razors? Do I need thousands of double edge Blades? Do I need 50 bottles of fragrances? Etc..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I can totally relate. I mean it’s that way with most hobbies though, isn’t it? I mean how many guns do you really need (don’t answer that)? Kayaks, motorcycles, pocket knives, sharpening stones. Why do you need so many? You don’t. But you get yapping with friends and boom... more toys. At least your razor wasn’t that expensive. I say it’s good value if you get a kick out of it with other forum members.

I can relate. Every year I consider getting a slant for Slantember. I have an SE that I have never used. Maybe next year...This year I was just a wisker away from buying a slant. I do so much enjoy these special months and the conversations they inspire.

Last month I did Shark week. Next month is OCtober and I will participate. I will point out that I like using OCs but you get the point.

Actually no, but if I have it I will be happy to participate. I have my first slant in the mail the Fatip OC Slant but it's not cause of Slantemper, it's because it looks pretty and efficient. But didnt know about OCtember, I'll be happy to join.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Parker Semi-Slant is an inexpensive slant that works pretty darn good if you want a slant for Slantember.

But...I feel like Chef455 with my Fatip Nobile Tuxedo. The blades won't line up correctly unless you're very careful tightening it down. Everything in my being says get rid of it...but...I can't do it because...that's not what shaving afficianados do. I guess that's kinda similar to what Chef455 is talking about.

P

pdillon

When I started reading B&B, the 2011 R41 was a highly regarded razor--and I think that is putting it mildly. Of course I picked one up. I used it from time to time. I frequently thought I would grow to like it more. Recently my interest in shaving has rekindled and I have been taking it more seriously. After giving the 2011 R41 a fresh take I realized I didnt like the blade feel (it's not necessarily too much but rather the quality of it--I prefer iKon tech) and quickly dispatched the razor I have been dragging around for 10 years.

I keep a razor because I enjoy using it. There are many sections in B & B, & many threads within the different sections that I can participate & banter with others. I don't keep a razor just so I can post on a particular thread. I keep a razor because it gives me enjoyment to use.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I can relate, I have a very pretty Hoffritz slant which I have used a few times this Slantember but hardly ever use it otherwise. I have a US and also an English red tip which I hardly ever use. Great razors but I never reach for them unless I am prompted. I am considering letting the slant and one red tip go, but which one? Probably the US made example.

I might chose my razor to shave with because of the ongoing activities on the forums, but I didn't keep any of my 3 remaining razors because of it.

I tried participating in the OCtober, or Slantember, but I find that I cannot keep using the same kind of razor all month.

So I am questioning my own den here. I will be using my Merkur 39c as my main example. Yes, it does give me a great shave. Yes, it is a well crafted and efficient razor. No, I don't reach for it unless "Slantember" or any number of other threads come up on the forum.

So what I am saying is really the only thing I'd miss about this razor is the ability to participate in certain aspects of the forum and the camaraderie resulting.

I am not saying it is go in to wind up on the BST but if I am honest with myself it might belong there.

Can anyone relate?
Kind of. My '53 SuperSpeed is my birth year razor, it shaves very well, and it ought to be one of my favorites. But it isn't. Perhaps it's the small and narrow handle; I've discovered I like thicker handles.

I'll reach for something different when I see a group doing the same thing, but if I don't like something I generally won't let a thread make me suffer through it.

I ABSOLUTELY RELATE!

Awhile ago I cleaned out the den, then cleaned it out again. So I am mostly down to a ‘daily driver’ plus a ‘travel razor.’ (May need to consider a back-up or two. :a15: :a15: )

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Mostly with me it's because I seem to like things that have only limited appeal to others. The ATT SE2 is a great OC SE razor, but not for me. Apparently not for anybody else, either. It's been on the BST two or three times with no bites. I used it for OCtober last year but this year it's packed up and ready to be sold off however that happens.

I really like slants, have several, and shave with them regularly. Slantember is just gravy on the cake. [grin]

O.H.

Top Bottom