What's new

Anyone had RAD then gone minimalist?

Hi All!
Just wondering if anyone has had a bad case of RAD, then decided to go minimalist?
One razor, one make of blade, one soap or cream etc?
Being satisfied with your current shaving equipment must be a great feeling.
Would that be Nirvana?

Last edited:
I have not Sir.

$darthvader-design.jpg

That's my end goal - to find the one! How long that takes w/how many razors...who knows!

Hi All!
Just wondering if anyone has had a bad case of RAD, then decided to go minimalist?
One razor, one make of blade, one soap or cream etc?
Being satisfied with your current shaving equipment must be a great feeling.
Would that be Nirvana?

I am down to one blade--derby extras; one razor--Merkur 23c; and one cream--Proraso Green. I have a host of aftershaves for different moods.

My 59' Fat Boy has been whispering some very jealous comments to me about the other razors lately. He says he doesn't want to go back.

I just may listen to him :closedeye

Frank

I've cut back but hardly to a "minimalist" extent. I'll probably be letting go of a few more items, and sticking with 2 DE razors, 1 straight , and 2 brushes. I do have about 4-5 years worth of software though :001_smile

I'm down to Treets as my only blade. I could probably be happy with just my 1901 GEM Jr. Bar or the 1912 Damaskeene. I have too many soaps to stick to just one, but I'm not replenishing anything. Eventually (like in 2-3 years), I'll get down to only Arko.

I did.
I use 2 DE razors (a Toggle and a slant), an SE and a straight in rotation.
at one time I had a pretty good collection.

You're unlikely to have any responses of people who have because why would the people who have reached their ideal setup want to further experiment by frequenting wet shaving forums

My goal is a kamisori straight razor, not sure what my ideal soap would be but all i know now is that it has to be vegan and scent is irrelevant

I think about having a "minimalist" setup frequently. It's part of my current efforts to simplify my life.

I'd like to end up with a small collection of razors which I generally enjoy and use, or simply want to collect for the aesthetics of it. Added to this would be a supply of blades I like, soaps that I enjoy and can vary to some extent, and a few brushes.

I currently shave mostly with my GEM Junior and my 7 O' Clock open comb. I have replacements for both of those. I also have a New short comb and a Goodwill as part of my open comb collection, a postwar Tech and a (in process) prewar Tech as travel razors/head shavers. Lastly, I have a Damaskeene and a GEM 1912 with a short ornate handle just to keep the handle for now. Oh, and I almost forgot - a Schick Repeater open comb Type C where I can't get the newer blades to load and haven't fixed the head so it holds the blade securely.

If I were to simplify that, I'd probably PIF the 1912. I have mixed feelings about the Damaskeene, but am keeping it for now largely because everyone says that it glows in the dark and does your taxes. :001_tongu

Soaps - I'm content with Stirling and Mike's in various scents.

Brushes - I'm pretty content with my Semogue SOC boar, B&B Essentials boar, and Muhle silvertip fiber.

I do have some blades to experiment with as well.

Where I run into trouble is that I can always think of "one more razor". A gold Fatboy tempts me from time to time.

I see how I approach my shaving collection (and my shaving) as a microcosm of my life. As such, I don't want to keep anything that isn't either functional, aesthetic, or (preferably) both. It's nice having a small collection. I don't want a large collection, as that's just not me.

For me, "Shaving Nirvana" is mindfulness. My shaving collection has been streamlined to reflect what I enjoy and use, and I try to extend that mindset to my life. When I am present and focused on my shaving, it's a wonderful meditative contentment to use what I have. There is something to having the right stuff, but there's more (in my opinion) to enjoying it fully.

I say this although I certainly have not mastered it to a significant degree.

You're unlikely to have any responses of people who have because why would the people who have reached their ideal setup want to further experiment by frequenting wet shaving forums

My goal is a kamisori straight razor, not sure what my ideal soap would be but all i know now is that it has to be vegan and scent is irrelevant

While I have not had any shaving related AD, I am certainly a minimalist. I have two razors (a Slim and an EJ DE 87), use only one blade (Astra SP), one brush EJ Best Badger four soaps and one ASB (Nivea Replelishing Balm).

Your assertion might seem reasonable, at first, but there are other reasons to participate in B&B. I originally found B&B while researching brushes, as my old one had worn out and needed to be replaced. I got very good information from postings and reviews. I am happy with my choice. I found my perfect blade by participating in the Great Blade Exchange in the blade forum. I used to use only one soap, but now use several, but I don't consider having four soaps close to having SAD.

Besides, the members of B&B are a great bunch. I like being associated with them. Stick around for a while and you will see what I mean.

I'm down to 1 razor and 1 blade - but still try a different blade now and then.

I have the brush rotation down to 2 - wait, I just bought another one so make it 3.

Software is where I still have some trouble - down to 3 soaps and 2 creams. Trying to get it down to 2 creams. Or a cream and a soap...

A/S is still tricky - I have 8 that I like but want to get that down to 2. Okay, maybe 3...

But like I said - got it down to 1 razor!!

I've been giving away brushes, soaps, and razors lately. I want to end up with two razors, two brushes, two soaps, and one blade. I'm almost there ...........

Top Bottom