What's new

Anyone excited about Hockey? NHL 2021

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Now the Habs will be up against a goalie who is basically as good as Price.

Price or Fleury? This series features the two hottest goaltenders still alive in the playoffs. Fleury has the better goals-against average at 1.91, but Price is right behind him at 1.97 and he has a playoff-best .935 save percentage. Price has been on fire in the Canadiens’ seven-game win streak, stopping 200 of 212 shots for a .943 save percentage. Fleury collected three Stanley Cup rings with the Penguins, who must be kicking themselves for letting him go. Pittsburgh has won only one playoff series over past four seasons while the Golden Knights have won seven with Fleury.

Oh, and the Habs are also trying to beat an old record from 1960 ...

Quick starts becoming a habit: The Canadiens’ success through the first two rounds of the playoffs has been built on taking an early lead and holding on to it. Montreal has won seven games in a row and in each of those games they scored the first goal. They haven’t trailed since Game 4 of the Leafs’ series, a run that has reached 437 minutes and 53 seconds. That’s the second-longest streak in NHL playoff history behind the 488-minute run for the 1960 Canadiens. Back in those days, the playoffs were only two rounds and the Canadiens never trailed as they swept the Chicago Black Hawks and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It'd be worth getting fired to make this announcement over the public address: "Montreal Canadiens goal, scored by Josh Anderson. Assist, Marc Andre Fleury. Time of the goal, eighteen minutes and five seconds. Anderson from Fleury at 18.05."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It'd be worth getting fired to make this announcement over the public address: "Montreal Canadiens goal, scored by Josh Anderson. Assist, Marc Andre Fleury. Time of the goal, eighteen minutes and five seconds. Anderson from Fleury at 18.05."
1624311808775.png

Owen Bawn

I'm a Boston fan, so I have no love for Montreal's club, but strangely in the playoffs once the B's are out my loyalties always immediately go to the Leafs or the Habs. It's their game. The people of eastern Canada deserve the Cup. If the Leafs or Habs are out then my loyalty goes to the western Canadian clubs for the same reason, and then to Detroit, Chicago, or NY.

I'm a Boston fan, so I have no love for Montreal's club, but strangely in the playoffs once the B's are out my loyalties always immediately go to the Leafs or the Habs. It's their game. The people of eastern Canada deserve the Cup. If the Leafs or Habs are out then my loyalty goes to the western Canadian clubs for the same reason, and then to Detroit, Chicago, or NY.

As a fellow Boston fan, I just can't actively root for Montreal. I'll be glad for them (and the city) if they win the Cup because it's been so long, but I can't cheer for them. I'm hoping that the Islanders can win game 7. That's another long-suffering fan base.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm hoping that the Islanders can win game 7. That's another long-suffering fan base.

Trottier, Bossy, Gillies, Potvin, Smith ... those were some good times!

Well, I'm not particularly bothered either way. It's kind of a choice between the team that's better in general, and the team that's "hotter" right now. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I guess the tipping point is that I hope it's the Islanders, because if it's the Bolts there are certain members of the Media and Social Media who won't be able to shut up about the Sergachev trade.

So that means Tampa will win, just to spite me.

Owen Bawn

As a fellow Boston fan, I just can't actively root for Montreal. I'll be glad for them (and the city) if they win the Cup because it's been so long, but I can't cheer for them. I'm hoping that the Islanders can win game 7. That's another long-suffering fan base.
This is a likeable Montreal team now that Subban and Pacioretty are gone. For years the only thing I liked about them was that Brian Gionta was on the club. Funny that the club formerly known as the Flying Frenchmen has recently been captained by guys from New York and Connecticut.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Details are scarce but ... Armia is again "under covid protocol" and not going with the team to Tampa Bay. Not having him is a significant loss but ... the real problem is if this is "the tip of the iceberg" and ... ?? Who knows who else on the team could join him on the sidelines!

This is a likeable Montreal team now that Subban and Pacioretty are gone.
Lots to like there now.

I'm curious about your Pacioretty comment. I never saw him as unlikeable. I don't particularly think he was cut out to be captain; it was just too much to be put on his shoulders. Let him be mentioned in the discussion as to who should get the "Alternate Captain 'A'" and leave it at that. (Guy Lafleur never was Captain; nothing wrong with not being captain.)

Gionta was alright as captain, but ... there was a noticeable lack of a stable leadership core once Koivu left, and ... that didn't get sorted until Weber arrived (and about that time Gallagher grew into a leadership role too.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looking 'real' bad for the Habs...down 3-0. 😥
Well, "yes, but".

Had you told me two months ago that the Habs would make it to the finals and then get swept 0-4 ... I'd have taken that in a heartbeat over what seemed to be their likely fate of losing to the Leafs. Or the Jets. Or the Golden Knights. No matter what, they've done fantastic.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well, "yes, but".

Had you told me two months ago that the Habs would make it to the finals and then get swept 0-4 ... I'd have taken that in a heartbeat over what seemed to be their likely fate of losing to the Leafs. Or the Jets. Or the Golden Knights. No matter what, they've done fantastic.
Doc:
1625368530373.png
Thanx for your advice (a momment of weakness [wink]),...Canadians might be down (looking forward to tomorrows game 4),...but not out yet! Lets go Habsss!
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Hockey...The Coolest Game on Earth (Because It’s the Cup)”!! NHL Official Slogan

Last edited:
I'm at an age where I grew up during the grand ole days when the Islanders and the Habs were the teams to beat most years. Once Tampa got past the Islanders I'm all in on the Habs. I guess I'm sort of old school that way. I live in Minnesota and still want the NorthStars to go all the way. sigh.

Anywho. I'd like to see the Cup go to Montreal. No offense to Florida hockey fans, and Tampa is one heck of a good team, but I kinda think Lord Stanley would be more appreciated up in Montreal. Besides, if the Habs come back from 3 games down, well, thats the stuff of legends.

Owen Bawn

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to congratulate the Canadian women on winning the gold at the World Championships in Calgary, defeating the USA in OT tonight.

Owen Bawn

TRIVIA QUESTION:
This Utah born man, a member of the US Hockey Hall of Fame, is arguably the most important man in hockey history, despite the fact that he never learned to skate. Who is he?

mystery man.jpg

Top Bottom