What's new

Anyone ever use dog hair for a shaving brush?

This thought occured to me today. I used to have two Siberian Huskies. I saved some of the undercoat that they shed every year thinking that I would make something out of it. The undercoat is very fluffy and would not make a good shaving brush. But there are always a few of the stiffer guard hairs mixed in. So I was wondering if anyone had ever made a dog hair shaving brush. If so, how many individual hairs would be needed?

I'm already on it.

1591180625809.png

I don’t think that even the guard hair would be stiff enough for this to work. I would also imagine that tangling and other issues would occur.

All other concerns aside, from a usability standpoint, I wouldn't think the hair would be stiff enough to provide the backbone needed for a shaving brush.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I asked my Airedale...she wasn't interested in donating. In fact...one morning...she took one of my badger brushes off the bathroom sink to play with it. Needless to say...that wasn't a perfect 10 shave day.

We have a husky mix... I can hardly stand this dog. Hard for me to say as a dog lover. The hair is more than abundant and constant. I prefer the short hair of my pibble and the personality, so much more affectionate. The husky mix just studies us and plots ways to get into trouble or steal something from you.

Now, purely hypothetical, I like a scrubby brush. If someone took the fine little blue hairs from the pibble, that would be one unique and scrubby brush.

Top Bottom