What's new

Anyone ever seen this before?

So I've scoured the web and I can find no reference to this razor. The only discussions I've found is that there are tons of generic French razors from the first half of the 1900s. I cleaned the rust off in a hurry as I got it a day before I went out of town for 2 weeks and I was in a hurry, so yes it still needs a bit of work removing scratch marks. I also usually don't put tons of effort into a razor until it's a proven shaver. I honed this up on some arkansas stones while in a hotel room. It took some effort but I brought her back and it is an upper tier shaver. Not my best, but a good solid shaver giving both closeness and comfort.

I can't find anything on "Romi" or "453." "Qualite Garantie" doesn't seem to directly translate to French neatly but I don't speak or read French. The best I can tell it's an informal way of saying "quality brand," but I'm not sure lm this. It says Paris, so I obviously assume it's French. It does give a good shave so it isn't any kind of knock off or RSO. Have any of you ever seen this brand, or anyone have any ideas on what I have?

20230227_145958.jpg
20230227_145926.jpg
20230227_145943.jpg

Hi,
this is a straight razor from Robert Middeldorf made in Solingen.
When you search the internet, you will find more information, in particular about safety razors and DE blades.
I hope this helps.

Looks like old renard and a lapin to me, though knowing how those two usually interact it would seem to bode for a rather more eventful shave than I myself would personally be after.

At first I also thought it was a Kangaroo shaving another 'Roo. Then I looked closer and I do believe it is a fox (Le Renard) trying to shave a rabbit (Le Lapin). It's one cool thing about that razor, even if it really is a German blank. I really like that logo.

Hi,
this is a straight razor from Robert Middeldorf made in Solingen.
When you search the internet, you will find more information, in particular about safety razors and DE blades.
I hope this helps.

I did find a reference to "Robert Middeldorf" having a brand named "ROMI." There may be something to that. I still really want to believe this is a French blade. Perhaps it was made just to export to France. Perhaps it is a German blank finished in France. Perhaps it is French. Perhaps I'll never know. I did scour the internet for Robert Middeldorf, and I never did find a reference to him making any straight razors. Just DEs. Obviously I don't rule it out.

Likely Solingen.
I had a pack of Solingen DE blades with the Fox/Rabbit logo...
Here's a DE case...
31065-9bbd1454e002c7e9db46d2c7d4ff3eba.jpg

Middledorf made straights, seen a few.
si-middeldorf-suedstrasse.jpg

More to read - click here

Mystery solved. I am now convinced it's most likely Soligen as well. Funny about the "Paris" stamped on the tang... well not funny. I'm tracking that a number of companies would import and restamp logos... or just have the manufacturer apply the custom stamp to begin with.

Edit: the only other possibility is Robert Middeldorf himself never made straight razors, and a company made this razor stamping his brand on it. It is possible that he used a French maker to manufacture his straights... though admittedly its baffling why he would go with a French razor maker when there were dozens of quality makers in soligen already to contract through.

Top Bottom