What's new

Anyone ever open up one of these?

I got this Gillette "electric" Techmatic, known as the Orbitor 4000 (from the early 1970's), and of course the battery's no good any more. The blue unit is the charging base and the rechargeable cells reside inside the white handle. I see no obvious way of opening it up without breaking up the plastic handle. Probably, it was never meant to be reopened. Still, I have a guy who thinks he can rebuild or replace the cells and get her running again.
Anybody ever successfully get one of these open?
DSC00519.JPG
DSC00523.JPG
DSC00522.JPG

"No user serviceable parts inside" just means it will be more challenging. Look for a parting line between the plastic pieces. If you can find a parting line, see if you can carefully pry the pieces apart. There may be a hidden latch that needs to be pressed with a small tool such as a jeweler's screwdriver. The battery in these kind of things is often a nickel-cadmium cell that has to be unsoldered and resoldered in place.

Did you finish up getting it to work again?
Unfortunately, I could never find the key to opening the handle up.
I had hoped some one here would know from their experience.
The handle is made from two halves, seamed together, probably with tabs, but to simply pry it apart would probably break the plastic handle into pieces. It's too nice an example to spoil.
I'll keep my eye out for a thrift store "dog" to practise on.

How about a small amount of heat from a hair dryer and then try sliding the 2 halves apart. This kinda thing usually slides apart instead of parts apart.

Top Bottom