What's new

Anyone ever cure their own lox?

i'm going to have to try this. I've had the smoked salmon many times, and I'm sure I've had cured lox like these in Denmark or Germany.

The link sure sounds like a gravlax recipe. I have not done much research, but many definitions on the internet seem incorrect. Some even allowing for lox to be smoked. I do not know why language has a tendency to involve so that distinction names for distinct products tend to blend together. Distinctions are useful. To me there is a difference between lox on one hand and Nova and smoked salmon, on the other, with gravlax being a third category.

Traditionally, I would say that lox was cured with only salt/brine, no sugar, and was not smoked. No spices or herbs of any kind. It is very salty fpor modern tastes. Nova is less intensely salted/brined and is cold smoked. I frankly do not know whether Nova historically had any sugar in the cure. If I was making cold-smoked salmon, I would have sugar in the brine. Gravlax is cured in salt, sugar, and dill, with juniper often added. No smoke. Gravlax is generally weighted while being cured. I do not know whether lox is weighted. As I recall, lox was cured for months. I do not think Nova or gravlax are generally cured for more than a few days.

I have told this story before on this subforum, but I endeavored to make gavlax from a beautiful fresh piece of salmon once. As I was preparing it, I noticed what looked like a white thread coming up out of the flesh. On closer examination, it was a tiny white worm of some sort, hollow, with a clearly articulated round mouth at one end. Now I assume that the cure would have killed this and any other parasites, and that I could have frozen the fish or simply cooked it and safely eaten it--I am sure most salmon this is never frozen or cooked has some live parasites--but it freaked me out, and I pitched the whole thing. A shame. It was a very nice piece of salmon.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The link sure sounds like a gravlax recipe. I have not done much research, but many definitions on the internet seem incorrect. Some even allowing for lox to be smoked. I do not know why language has a tendency to involve so that distinction names for distinct products tend to blend together. Distinctions are useful. To me there is a difference between lox on one hand and Nova and smoked salmon, on the other, with gravlax being a third category.

Traditionally, I would say that lox was cured with only salt/brine, no sugar, and was not smoked. No spices or herbs of any kind. It is very salty fpor modern tastes. Nova is less intensely salted/brined and is cold smoked. I frankly do not know whether Nova historically had any sugar in the cure. If I was making cold-smoked salmon, I would have sugar in the brine. Gravlax is cured in salt, sugar, and dill, with juniper often added. No smoke. Gravlax is generally weighted while being cured. I do not know whether lox is weighted. As I recall, lox was cured for months. I do not think Nova or gravlax are generally cured for more than a few days.

I have told this story before on this subforum, but I endeavored to make gavlax from a beautiful fresh piece of salmon once. As I was preparing it, I noticed what looked like a white thread coming up out of the flesh. On closer examination, it was a tiny white worm of some sort, hollow, with a clearly articulated round mouth at one end. Now I assume that the cure would have killed this and any other parasites, and that I could have frozen the fish or simply cooked it and safely eaten it--I am sure most salmon this is never frozen or cooked has some live parasites--but it freaked me out, and I pitched the whole thing. A shame. It was a very nice piece of salmon.
Oh, I think I have changed my mind on this subject.

From the linked recipe...

The salmon you use should also come fresh from the fishmonger or supermarket because as the fish is not cooked, it needs to be squeaky fresh. If you have any doubt about the freshness, do not worry, buy a frozen piece or, freeze for 24 hours before curing to ensure there are no parasites.

So freshly caught no parasites... how then do they eventually invade?
dave

<So freshly caught no parasites... how then do they eventually invade?>

I think the answer is in the question, so to speak. I think parasites are there or they are not. I do not think parasites generally invade after the fish has butchered/"mongered"(?). I do not think that freshness has anything to do with it. I do not think that salmon, at least in the US, is used in sushi and sashimi without freezing it to a deep temperature for a certain number of days. Because salmon is both a fresh and a saltwater fish I think it is more prone to parasites than, say, tuna.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I made gravlax once, but it's been twenty years. I recall salt and sugar and a whole heck of a lot of fresh dill. I do recall wrapping it tightly and pressing it. I don't recall much else beyond that it came out great. I should do it again.

I also have a problem with how terms become blurred together, especially since so much of that is due to marketing efforts.

I love smoked salmon, but I'll throw it at you if that is what you give me when I order lox.

I sure do!
A good friend of mine is Icelandic, and I use his family recipe.
Mix together generous amounts of brown sugar, coarse sea salt, and fresh dill. Rub well into the salmon fillets; wrap tightly in clingwrap, and place in container in refrigerator, stacking fillets flesh to flesh, with a moderate weight to press together (I use a hard-bound book). Leave for three days, turning stack(s) each day.
Bingo - perfect gravlax!
Here is a photo of my last batch heading off to the fridge.

I’ve made gravlax before. Haven’t made it in a while so thanks for reminding me. Will have to make some for my salmon loving son. We make Lomi Lomi salmon once and a while for family get togethers.

I sure do!
A good friend of mine is Icelandic, and I use his family recipe.
Mix together generous amounts of brown sugar, coarse sea salt, and fresh dill. Rub well into the salmon fillets; wrap tightly in clingwrap, and place in container in refrigerator, stacking fillets flesh to flesh, with a moderate weight to press together (I use a hard-bound book). Leave for three days, turning stack(s) each day.
Bingo - perfect gravlax!
Here is a photo of my last batch heading off to the fridge.

This is really interesting! Can you provide an after pic once finished?

This is really interesting! Can you provide an after pic once finished?
Hi Ryan.
I had a look back through my photos, but I don't seem to have an 'after' snapshot. I guess I'm too eager to eat it!
I can say that once it is cured, I slice it thinly before eating, and ensure that the no skin is attached to the slices.
Next time I do a batch, I will post an 'after' photo.

Hi Ryan.
I had a look back through my photos, but I don't seem to have an 'after' snapshot. I guess I'm too eager to eat it!
I can say that once it is cured, I slice it thinly before eating, and ensure that the no skin is attached to the slices.
Next time I do a batch, I will post an 'after' photo.

No worries! Sounds amazing. May have to give it a try (not sure if I can get my wife/son to eat it though). If you do another batch be sure to post pics!

A different use for the lox... one of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten had lox and an herbed white sauce. It was at a Wolfgang Puck pizza place. I still dream of that pizza sometimes. I think this recipe is similar:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/smoked-salmon-pizza-a-la-wolfgang-recipe-2108823

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Bumping this thread as it has good information.

During Christmas 2023, someone made Lox during one of the gatherings. While I'm a huge fan of smoked salmon, I never really looked at Gravlax or Lox before. I never made my smoked salmon either but I've been thinking about it for years now.

Anyway, since Christmas 2023, I've been making Lox (as I try to avoid sugar at all costs) once a week. Reading this thread (see @The Knize post) made me think about those worms quite a bit. I did not encounter any issues, but, to keep it safe, I've been freezing my cured Lox at 4F for 7 days. It's just a bit longer but it works well.

I use Kosher salt which makes the salmon less salty. I also put the fish in distilled water for 10 minutes before I slice it (to remove the salt). I bought one of those huge salmon pieces at Costco and sliced it in half. Bake half to eat that night and make Lox with the other half. I can't wait for the summer to be back as Lox will be more enjoyable in warm weather (warm weather vs cold/room temperature food).

Two kind of LOX, Great, and YUCK. Good Lox is sliced paper thin by skilled craftsmen, piled on Bagel with Slice of Red On ion, and little bit of Cream Cheese. When you take a bit flayer should be release into your mouth like pop rocs candy, causing a explosion of flavor, if not you eating YUCK LOX.

Now I assume that the cure would have killed this and any other parasites, and that I could have frozen the fish or simply cooked it and safely eaten it
The standard is -4F for seven days, or -31F for 15 hours. Freezing at 32F, for any length of time doesn't kill the parasites.
Yeah, I need to amend my original statements. I do not think I had anything available to me that would freeze the fish at a low enough temperature to render it safe, and I really have no idea whether the cure would have either!

Top Bottom