What's new

Anyone else watching the Ken Burns history of Country music?

I'm a fan of (old school/traditional) country music but my wife isn't. I think the fact that this documentary is done by Ken Burns makes it more tolerable for her to have to sit and watch 2 hours of this for 8 nights. I'll be watching all 8 episodes. With episode 3 they are really starting to get into the meat of my country appreciation with Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzel, Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, Pee Wee King, Bob Wills, etc.

Do we know what year they'll be taking this story to? There's a point where country music made a turn into whatever it is they are calling "country" these days. I see that Garth Brooks was one of the talking heads and sorry if you are a fan but he wouldn't have made the cut on my list.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'd pay money to see Garth, but I sing "That Lucky Ole Sun" at the top of my lungs while riding the lawn mower. Yes, my neighbors love me. And I live near "Saginaw Michigan", arguably the best country song ever written, lol.

I've been enjoying it a lot. Really interesting to get the back story on the beginnings of the genre and the artists.

I'm recording mostly for background and older country music. I'm not a big country music fan, but I enjoy the greats like Patsy, Hank I, Willie, Roy Clark, Buck Trent. As far as I'm concerned, good country music ended when HeeHaw went off the air. I despise the modern, self-absorbed, millennial slop that they call country music today and doubt I'll bother recording later episodes of Burns. The only modern country artist I listen to and have CD's of is Hank III, but I'm sure most would hate his punk country.

Roy and Buck - two of the best.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Do we know what year they'll be taking this story to? There's a point where country music made a turn into whatever it is they are calling "country" these days. I see that Garth Brooks was one of the talking heads and sorry if you are a fan but he wouldn't have made the cut on my list.

I guess kind of like how he did it with jazz. He spent lots of loving attention to the 30s through 60s and then relegated the recent decades to one episode at the end.

I am definitely watching. I am not normally a big Ken Burns fan. I am liking this one a lot. Maybe because not so much talking given lots of music!

It has been criticized for being too wide and not deep enough, even though it is 16 hours long, and for having too many country stars talking and patting each other on the back and not enough country music scholars. But I pretty much like it. It is nice to see Marty Stuart doing a lot of talking. I thought they did a good job on Hank Williams. His death hurts even today.

I thought Johnny Cash imitating Elvis was humorous. It was also interesting to hear that June Carter was the pursuer in that relationship and not the other way around as was portrayed in the movie "Walk The Line". Did they flip that scenario in the movie because it made a better narrative?

Top Bottom