What's new

Anyone else struggle with a straight?

I don't know if it's the angling or the handle I am struggling with more, but I am curious if anyone else in the same boat tried a Kamisori and fared any better with it.

Thanks!

Well your first problem is that you are fixated on the Crimson Tide and I suspect you are a nervous wreck. Sub-consciously you are fearful the Tide will lose an early game and not be able to recover. Your hands are probably shaking and your breathing is a mess.

However, beyond that I cannot say. I do have a Kamisori on order and will get back with you in a few days. Everyone tells me to take it slow and eventually (a couple of weeks or so) the muscle memory will kick in. We shall see.

War Eagle 82

Well your first problem is that you are fixated on the Crimson Tide and I suspect you are a nervous wreck. Sub-consciously you are fearful the Tide will lose an early game and not be able to recover. Your hands are probably shaking and your breathing is a mess.

However, beyond that I cannot say. I do have a Kamisori on order and will get back with you in a few days. Everyone tells me to take it slow and eventually (a couple of weeks or so) the muscle memory will kick in. We shall see.

War Eagle 82

No sir, my hand is steady as can be in that regard ;)

I look forward to hearing your experience with the Kamisori.

Hoping to pick one up in Japan next year too.

I didn't use a straight razor long enough to "struggle" with it. Just two or three shaves before I concluded the ritual wasn't for me (stropping, honing, blah blah blah).

However, I do use a Feather SS AC and love it. I struggled a bit with blind spots, but figured out how to eliminate them. Now I enjoy great shaves with it. Not sure how closely it shaves like a true Kamisori (probably not at all), but placing the razor nearly flat against my face is the way to go.

I would suggest going slow, and don't aim for a perfect shave the first few times. Just focus on figuring out the technique, how to hold it, angle, etcetera, then clean up using a DE or SE blade.

If you are talking about switching from a regular straight razor to a kamisori style straight razor, the Western style straight is much easier to use.

If you are talking about a shavette, rather than a straight razor, the kamisori style (for example a Feather SS or DX) may well be easier for you. I can shave with either the kamisori or the folding razor, and, if anything, perhaps slightly prefer the folding razor, but a lot of people prefer the kamisori.

"Struggling" with a straight razor is par for the course. I think I didn't get a complete socially acceptable shave with a straight razor until about my 52nd shave. It is a long learning curve, probably longer for me than for most people. Even the Feather shavettes require some technique learning.

If you are serious about really giving either shavettes or straight razors a try, start gradually, with just the cheeks for the first week or so, gradually adding more challenging places as you go, and resorting to your DE or SE whenever you get frustrated or feel like things are not going well. If you keep at it and keep at it, you will add skill gradually and it will become much more satisfying.

Oh, forgot to add that I was wondering why you posted this thread in the SE subforum. There is a general straight razor subforum and also a subforum for people just starting to learn straight razor shaving.

Top Bottom