What's new

Anyone else still enjoy 80's colognes?

There are several scents that I love(d) when I was single that aren’t appreciated by my wife. I wear them at work or around the house when she’s gone.

Of the oldies, I think Aspen is one of the best day time casual scents..........and to MY nose, in the same family as Green Irish Tweed. I use it after GIT shave soap.

I found it, I really liked this stuff back in the day.

proxy.php
i actually did too. probably just for the bottle

Polo was a massive success in the 1980s. It might have been launched in '78 but it was an 80s scent. I love it and I think its one of the truly great men's fragrances of all time. I have none now, and haven't had it for many years. Not sure if I would want to wear it now as its kind if cliche and just hits you over the head. I realize my statements sound contradictory. I am describing Polo as a timeless classic but I also see it as though its an over played pop album within the context of my own life and experience.

Not sure what it is about those 1980's macho powerhouse colognes that I like so much. I think it may be that it was about the time (mid to late 80's) that I started getting my own colognes and not using Dad's anymore. Or maybe it just brings back memories of my youth. Or the strong scent they have.

Anyway I've always kept a few of these colognes in my rotation. But recently I've added a few more

The 80's colognes I have always had in my collection are:

Drakkar
Obsession
Eternity

Here are the ones that I have added over the last 6 month

Lomani
Aspen
Ceasars Man
Sung
Bijan

So who else here enjoys 80's colognes. If so, what's in your collection?

Faberge Brut, Guy Laroche, Drakkar Noir, Bijan for Men, Davidoff Cool Water and Paco Rabbane Pour Homme. My hubby have these on display but never use them once, just for collection.

I posted this on recent frag acquisitions earlier... Davidoff Classic Eau de Toilette. 1980's classic arrived from Slovenia via Poland. As far as I know, has not been made since the 80's.

IMG_2227.jpeg

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Love the powerhouses I've tried aka Chanel Antaeus and Balenciaga Ho Hang Club. I want to try YSL Kouros but that one kind of scares me! :D

Mini Bottle of Aramis Devin to go along with a larger bottle I purchased last summer. I'm pretty sure the larger bottle was not stored very well, because the mini smells much better - it's more "alive" with florals and spices. The larger bottle is all resin and oakmoss. I'm guessing it's missing almost all of the top notes. It's good to know what it's supposed to smell like! (Original Aramis was one of the first "colognes" I never smelled as my Dad had a bottle).

IMG_0098.jpg

Polo was a massive success in the 1980s. It might have been launched in '78 but it was an 80s scent. I love it and I think its one of the truly great men's fragrances of all time. I have none now, and haven't had it for many years. Not sure if I would want to wear it now as its kind if cliche and just hits you over the head. I realize my statements sound contradictory. I am describing Polo as a timeless classic but I also see it as though its an over played pop album within the context of my own life and experience.
I bet you could get right back on that horse! If you do, grab a cosmair romulation off the bay. Takes me back to riding in a Camaro and heavy metal concerts! I still love it.
Best Wishes

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Mention of a few of these makes me want to re-order a couple like Grey Flannel and possibly Aramis. Other than the department stores which charge top $ (and may no longer carry) the older colognes and aftershaves, which discounters can be trusted?

I've read pro's and cons about ordering from Amazon.com (directly and not from 3rd party resellers). Has anyone had experience with:

Fragrancenet.com
Perfumania.com
Beautyencounter.com
Walgreens.com
Overstock.com
Drugstore.com
Fragrancex.com
Scentedmonkey.com

or others?

I definitely would wait for the summer heat waves to be over before I order as I can't see those steaming delivery trucks helping the scent of the product.

TJ Maxx occational has some good stuff up for grabs. As for heat... There are worse things that can happen to a frag!

As for my 80's favs... So far I have become addicted to Chanel Antaeus (the pre reformulation stuff is amazing!) and just had a bottle of Balenciaga Ho Hang Club Land!

Last edited:
My dad wore Giorgio Beverly Hills in the 80s and early 90s along with Polo Green. I still have his bottle of Beverly Hills and sometimes do a half a on cold winter days. Even that's too much, sometimes! Amazing juice, though. New one is still fairly close but nothing beats the vintage.

Top Bottom