What's new

Anyone else old enough to remember these commercials?

I must have been 7 or 8 and remember asking my dad about the bleeping. I think they made a few with the bleeping.

The word "Personna" echoes in my mind, just as do "Schick," "Krona," "Patrice Lumumba," "Secretary McNamara," and "Dag Hammarskjold." Stuff I heard on TV at a very young age.

Jim Backus (Mr. Magoo/Gilligan's Island) getting bleeped.

However, the best commercials for canned Burma Shave-

The first one I paid any attention to was the commercial for Gillette Platinum Plus during the 1969 NFL Championship game. I remember a bunch of guys in their robes running up a hill towards a big razor blade standing upright like the monolith from the movie "2001". Maybe I can find it on YouTube, you think?
I remember bits and pieces from a much earlier animated one but I don't remember what blade it was for.

Can't find a video, but Gillette used to sponsor Friday Night Fights, which of course was a televised boxing program. It was some of my earliest memories with my father, as he loved boxing and had boxed some in Golden Gloves and in the Army.

Can't remember any commercial about blades , but the old Hai Karate after shave commercial with Valerie Leon was burned into my mind ... funny commercial and a stunning woman.

These old commercials are so charming in a way. Remind of a golden age. I wasn't born until much later but can appreciate the spirit of that time.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I still use those Personna 74 blades, in both injector and DE formats. I'm hoping they run out about when I do .. not too soon, so the kids don't pitch 'em, not so late I have to shave with Dorco's or Derby's

Top Bottom