What's new

Anyone else not like Penhaligons?

Of the 6 or 7 I've smelled, I don't even "kinda" like any of them --- I pretty much think they're all gross. Of course, this is not a comment on quality, but rather merely a comment on the actual scent(s). Obviously, Penhaligons is very highly-regarded here and elsewhere; I'm just wondering, "Am I alone in not liking their scents?"

I can't say I like all of them but I do like English Fern, Sartorial, Elixir and Raquets. The rest are okay.

Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee, er, Penhaligon's.
(hmmm...UK, probably never heard of Sara Lee)

Anyway, please, offer a comparison to some frags that you like a lot?

If I was offered some as a gift, I would gladly accept it (if it wasn't a scent I liked, the resale value is pretty great). I wouldn't buy any, however. I can barely bring myself to spend more than $20 on a puck of soap, so there is no way I am going to pay what they want for cologne. I had the opportunity to sample Blenheim Bouquet though, and I must say I quite liked it.

Opinions are opinions but I'm surprised to hear Pen's described as 'gross.' Boring or dated perhaps but these aren't scents that I think of as potentially polarizing. FWIW, I quite like many of their scents and own several.

Endymion is the only one of theirs that I have smelled that I would be comfortable owning. The others I have experience with (Sartorial, EF, Douro) just felt like they would be better worn by an older fellow.

Endymion is great, but I wish it was more potent.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
The only two I can say I do not care for are Sartorial and Elixir. I have the rest of the men's line. I am missing several anthology scents.

I've tried 3 of them Sartorial(Nope), Blenheim Bouquet(Nope), Hamm Bouquet(Nope) didn't like any of them... I'd like to add them to the

Traveling Fragrance Sample Box but no one is adding anyone to the list..oh well...

Pens is real hit or miss for me. I really really like English Fern and Opus. Not a fan of Elixir or LP no 9. Endymion was very boring on my skin. Tried Castile and I think its very feminine...and while not for me, I don't hate it.

Those are the only ones I've tried...and quite a few that I would like to, like BB, Douro and Limes.

I was in London in Sept and went to one of their boutiques...factor in the dollar to pound exchange rate and London's astronomical prices, I declined to pick up a bottle. Definitely not cheaper to buy in the UK.

Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee, er, Penhaligon's.
(hmmm...UK, probably never heard of Sara Lee)

Anyway, please, offer a comparison to some frags that you like a lot?
LOL! I'm actually an American living in the UK, so I get it. :)

My favorite fragrances are Jaipur by Boucheron, Egoiste Platinum by Chanel, a couple of the Mugler A-Mens, and Carolina Herrera (the regular one). Smelled 5 different Aqua di Parmas yesterday, and liked two of them a lot (can't remember which ones, though --- sorry!)

To me, all the Pens smell either girly, or old man-esque, or simply gross, or some combination thereof.

Last edited:
Which ones did you try? I'm up and down with a few Pen's, and others I don't care for.

I hated English Fern the first time I tried it, but after a couple of years I somehow did a 180 and now I really enjoy it. I loved Sartorial but I kind of fell out of favor with it - now it seems too powdery for me. I still enjoy it once in a while. I like a couple notes in Endymion, but the soft powdery notes have always been a turn-off.

Can't stand Racquets - smells too much like those cheap 70s colognes. Sartorial also mimics those dreadful 70s scents, but to my nose it's just one whimsical and nostalgic piece of an elevated composition - don't know why Sartorial works for me but Racquets does not.

Opus and BB I liked at first but grew tired of them quickly. I disliked Quercus, Douro, Castile, LP No9, and Elixir. Zizonia was pretty good.

I would like to try the others because whether I liked them or not, Pen's scents are good quality and it's all been a very good learning experience for me. Good luck on your journey!

To me, all the Pens smell either girly, or old man-esque, or simply gross, or some combination thereof.

Given your preferences in fragrances, this doesn't surprise me. While Penhaligons has given a nod to contemporary taste in some of their newer fragrances, their mainstays are traditional in nature, and are either an acquired taste, or simply don't appeal to olfactory palates developed on modern scents.

Personally, I adore English Fern. I'm also quite fond of Douro. I have a bottle of Blenheim Bouquet, but I have a bit of a like/dislike relationship with it: some days I like it (never love), and some days I really don't. As for Hammam Bouquet, I have to acknowledge I'm not on board with the Penhaligon's ethos here. I know some people think it's a masterpiece of duality, showing latent Victorian prurience seeping through the upper-crust veneer of aristocracy. But I personally find it to be a hot mess of cloying, heavy sweetness. Not my cup of tea at all.

Is Pens considered a barbershop fragrance?

Penhaligon's is a fragrance house that makes many different scents. It's not possible to sum up all their offerings in one term.

Last edited:
I've tried about half Penhaligon's line. The ones I enjoy most are Sartorial (a wonderful fougere) and English Fern (I typically love green fragrances). I don't care for Blenheim Bouquet because of the pepper note.

Last edited:
Those who don't like Sartorial should be brutally crucified with no mercy.

LOL

Just kidding of course but how could you not like Sartorial unless you are younger than 30?

Those who don't like Sartorial should be brutally crucified with no mercy.

LOL

Just kidding of course but how could you not like Sartorial unless you are younger than 30?
I like it, but it smells too much like Brut. Now I know it's got far more complexity than Brut, but to my wife I just smelled like her grandpa.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Have tried them pretty much all, and there are only a few left in my collection: EF, Opus and Sartorial. But, I doubt I will replace any of them when they are gone, maybe Sartorial (have a backup for the EF, though).

Top Bottom