What's new

Anyone else make handles in Argentine Lignum Vitae?

I love this wood for brush handles, it turns beautifully and there's no need to treat it at all, as it has almost complete water resistance.

There's so much waxy resin in this wood that all you need to do to shine it up when it starts looking dull is wipe/buff it with a rag!

Attachments

• 0829201623_2.jpg
    0829201623_2.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 53
there was a gent who recently passed a way that did amazing stuff with lignum (and ivory) but iirc wasn't lignum on a special list now? or may have been?

The genuine article is limited, but the similar "Argentine" wood is still readily and inexpensively available.

The genuine article is limited, but the similar "Argentine" wood is still readily and inexpensively available.

Real Lignum: Guaicum officinale

Argentine Lignum: Bulnesia sarmientoi

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have done my share of pens and a few brush handles from the original Lignum vitae, excellent turning wood, very dense and very fine grained, finishes very nicely and has a nice odor when working it. I think it is one, if not the, hardest and densest woods. It was used in sail ships for bearings etc due to its resistance.

Last edited:
I'll have a new Lathe up and running by next week, that rig should make my process significantly easier (used to have to bore the knot socket with a drill press at a remote location), as will a set of smaller detail chisels.

If there any results worth showing, I'll post them here.

Here's a modification of the Simpson Beaufort pattern, socket drilled 20mm x 15mm depth, with a Maggard SHD knot test fitted. This block of lignum was a darker, more brown color than other Argentine L V I've gotten and also has a less banded appearance to the grain, I like it!

The bocote handle to the left was intended to be in a similar pattern, but there was a spot where the grain kept tearing out, so in order to make use of the blank I had to pare away a lot of material, the result was pretty OK though (IMO).

P9210005sm.JPG

Here's a comparison between a freshly turned handle and one that's been in use for week (and exposed to daylight where it sits). They were both turned from blanks that came in the same shipment, from Bell Forest Products.

The new one is drilled for a 22mm knot.

P9300010sm.JPG

Last edited:
A new turning in African Blackwood, this stuff does not turn like normal wood... and this coming from somone who works with LV. Flicking the side of the handle where the knot socket is gives a ringing sound that's more like a ceramic than wood.

PA040011sm.JPG

Top Bottom