What's new

Anyone else hear this news?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

September 30, 2020

Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that its offer to purchase substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets was accepted by Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. and approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama. The Company will pay the $30 million purchase price from cash on hand at the time of closing, which is expected to occur in October.

"The value of Marlin and its 150-year legacy was too great of an opportunity for us to pass up," said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. "The brand aligns perfectly with ours and the Marlin product portfolio will help us widen our already diverse product offerings."

The transaction is exclusively for the Marlin Firearms assets. Remington firearms, ammunition, other Remington Outdoor brands, and all facilities and real estate are excluded from the Ruger purchase. Once the purchase is completed, the Company will begin the process of relocating the Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities.

"The important thing for consumers, retailers and distributors to know at this point in time," continued Killoy, "is that the Marlin brand and its great products will live on. Long Live the Lever Gun."

Additional information will be released when available.

November 23, 2020

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that the closing of its acquisition of substantially all of the Marlin Firearms assets occurred on Monday, November 23. The agreement to purchase these assets emanated from the Remington Outdoor Company, Inc. bankruptcy and was approved by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Alabama on September 30, 2020. The purchase price of approximately $28.3 million was paid with available cash on hand.

Chief Executive Officer Christopher J. Killoy noted the excitement that has permeated the firearms industry in anticipation of the confluence of these two iconic firearms brands, "Since we announced the agreement to purchase Marlin in September, we have heard from countless members of the firearms community - consumers, retailers, distributors, writers, and collectors - who are delighted that legendary Marlin rifles are now part of the Ruger product family. We are excited to start moving these assets to our Ruger facilities and setting up the manufacturing cells that will produce Marlin rifles for years to come. We look forward to re-introducing Marlin rifles in the latter half of 2021."

OkieStubble

I have a Remlin' 336Y I purchased 4 or 5 years back. I have read about the quality of Marlin's in the past before the Freedom Group took over production in 2008 and QC became an issue. But I also heard, that Remington, and The Freedom Group had addressed the QC issues of Marlin around 2013-15 and While not the original Marlin quality of old, quality in manufacturing was still improved? I dunno?

I picked up my Remlin' Marlin lever action around 2016-17. I think fit and function is ok, the action probably isn't as smooth as I would like and the finish seems quite dull, flat and thin. "walnut finished" hardwood instead of walnut and that kind of thing.
Oh, and the reloading port spring is heavy enough to lift a pick up truck making it tough to load.

Makes me wonder what a Ruger owned and built "Marlin" will be like? :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
It will be interesting to see what happens. The Marlin 60 has historically been the biggest competitor to the Ruger 10/22. But there hasn't been much information about exactly what assets are among the "assets" purchased other than the Name.

Python first...Marlin later.
I had a couple Marlins; one was a Remlin. There was nothing wrong per se with the Remlin (.45-70). It just had a less than great feel and the fit/finish was so-so.
Sold both of the Marlins. Replaced them with Henrys. Never looked back......

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I know that a buddy of mine has had issues with his recently purchased Marlin .45-70 lever action. My three Marlins, purchased just before the Remington take over, a .32-20 1894, a .45 LC 1895 and a 39A in .22LR have not had any issues to date, but haven't been shot all that much. Once Ruger begins production and improved QC is demonstrated, I will be in the market for another in .357mag./.38 Spl.

I know that a buddy of mine has had issues with his recently purchased Marlin .45-70 lever action. My three Marlins, purchased just before the Remington take over, a .32-20 1894, a .45 LC 1895 and a 39A in .22LR have not had any issues to date, but haven't been shot all that much. Once Ruger begins production and improved QC is demonstrated, I will be in the market for another in .357mag./.38 Spl.
No experience with a Remlin, all mine are JM Marlin's. A 39a, two 39a Mounties, 1897 cowboy, 1894 32-20 & 44 Mag Cowboy, an old SC in 35 Rem, 38-55 in a 336 cowboy, and 3 in 45-70, 1895, 1896 Guide GUn (ported model) and a 1895 Cowboy. Would like to have a 1894 in .357/38 Special.

My one Marlin is a 70s vintage 336 that's been rebored/chambered by JES to 35/30-30. Not that different from 35 Rem but 30-30 brass almost literally grows on trees were there was a stretch that 35 Rem brass was pretty scarce.

Jesse suggested 3 groove rifling for cast bullets, I forget what twist but it's been pretty accurate, more so than the "experts" say cast in a lever gun should be.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
From what I understand most of the Remington acquisitions are name and intellectual property only. No machinery, etc...

I'm not sure why I find this so unsettling, but I do. It's a shame to see them go under, regardless of who buys the remnants of such an iconic American firearms manufacturer.

Given the price of ammo these days, and the waiting lists for firearms, it's hard to imagine how they could have screwed this up so badly. I feel for the employees. I hope that golf course gators eat the executives who are responsible...

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I'm not sure why I find this so unsettling, but I do. It's a shame to see them go under, regardless of who buys the remnants of such an iconic American firearms manufacturer.

Given the price of ammo these days, and the waiting lists for firearms, it's hard to imagine how they could have screwed this up so badly. I feel for the employees. I hope that golf course gators eat the executives who are responsible...

I hear ya. Hotdog's, Apple Pie, Winchester, Marlin, Remington, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Lodge cast iron made in China!!! I can't take it.

According to This it was an inside job...

start watching from the beginning

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My one and only Marlin was my first gun purchase: a semiautomatic .22 rifle. Model escapes me. 60? Think that's it.
It's a tack driver with someone else shooting it!

Always hated tearing that thing down for a proper cleaning.

Maybe Ruger will make a decent lever action .357 for me to lust after?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have had a couple Marlins, an older Dirty-Thirty and a JC Higgins Model 42 (a Marlin Model 80). The 30-30 is long gone when I sold all my larger caliber rifles including three 30-30 lever action; the Marlin and two Winchesters (a newer one and an old saddle carbine from 1903). Of the newer 30-30s the Marlin was smoother and more accurate than the Winchester.

Marlin on top:
proxy.php

Top Bottom