What's new

Anyone else forego soap/cream?

I work from home 3 days/week, shave infrequently, and increasingly forego shaving soap. (The last brush I bought was a Rooney 3/1 a decade or so ago.) I just wash my face well while taking a hot shower, towel off leaving my face wet, and use an open comb DE (typically with a white-box Crystal or a Feather) to remove growth.

Anyone else in this camp?

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have shaved in such a way very rarely out of necessity but would not otherwise choose to so do. I find the use of soap or cream gives a much more comfortable shave, and face lathering with a scrubby brush is for me a very pleasurable experience. Given that soap or cream can be very inexpensive and is easy to obtain, for what reason do you not use them?

When I use soap, I face lather with the Rooney. The reason that I increasingly forego soap is that i no longer see the need, and don't particularly want to.

I'll add that this is only after a hot shower. My coarse growth needs to be softened before I can shave effectively.

Last edited:
My neck is on fire just from reading this. There may even be some skin missing, too. But if it works for you with no issues, then that's good. I personally can't do it. Pretty sure I'd end up looking like Freddy Krueger.

I did this for awhile. It is possible, yes, and if you are happy then that's all that matters. I myself am much happier now that I have gone back to a full routine of soap + brush.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I did this on occasion when I was young many years ago without any problems, but now I wouldn't and probably couldn't.

I did this on occasion when I was young many years ago without any problems, but now I wouldn't and probably couldn't.
I occasionally had to dry-shave with a Trac II in the '80s for reasons of scarcity and expediency. It didn't bother me too much back then.

But now, if I don't have the full setup (hot water, DE razor, brush, soap, ASB), then I just won't shave.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Interesting. I used to shave in the shower without lather using Gillette Good News disposables when pressed for time. Never had a problem. Don't do it anymore, though. Now I take my time, lather up and use a proper DE razor. But if I am in a rush, I use Elegance Plus gel instead of lather. Otherwise, I use it as a pre-shave. Works well in both instances.

Uh... no. If I had to shave fast, a can of Proraso will do the trick. I don't think I would enjoy shaving without lather very much.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Because of time constraints my last two shaves have been in the shower. But I used hand soap, and over that I used some canned foam. The blade was a well used Silver Star, and the first time was a Gillette long comb, the next time it was a Gillette Tech.

Both shaves were comfortable, but not as fun as using a brush and face lathering. But they both were very comfortable post shave, even my neck.

It is tough to beat the beard hydration of shaving in the shower.

I have no idea though why @expatCanuck wouldn't just shave while in the shower?

My septic system is going on 62 years, I live on property that today would not pass a perk test, so in very wet Spring-time conditions I don't like to tax it. That's mostly why I shave at the sink and switched to DE shaving, to tell the truth.

Just think youse guys: if I wasn't worried about something that distributes crap, ya never would have been blessed with all the crap I distribute on here!

Your welcome!

No. And this is disturbing. Man, use some freakin' lubricant. It is neither time-consuming, nor expensive. Even bath bar soap, Irish Spring, would be better than nothing.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used bar soap with them old "Good News" disposables in the shower FOR YEARS! and if you met me in person, you'd be absolutely amazed at just how handsome I am!

Sometimes I look in the mirror and think, "Man, I wonder how much more good lookin' I'd be if I'd just stayed with those DE razors all those years ago!"

Before I converted to DE shaving I read an article explaining that much of our sensitive skin issues is due to using creams/gels from a can like Edge and Gillette products. The chemicals etc were the culprit. Made sense and we all probably agree since we gravitate towards higher quality natural soaps and creams.

The solution the author proposed was shaving without and it actually would toughen the skin making lubricant unnecessary. It also prescribed using cold water pre and post shave.

I tried it and it actually did work well. And I have what is described as sensitive skin.

Eventually moved on to DE shaving and no longer use the typical pharmacy section crap, but love the nicer soaps and creams so can't see doing it again unless forced to. But the cold water part remained and for me it works well.

No. And this is disturbing. Man, use some freakin' lubricant. It is neither time-consuming, nor expensive. Even bath bar soap, Irish Spring, would be better than nothing.

+++1

If you are shaving in the shower, at least use shampoo or conditioner on your face to provide lubrication. When I traveled for a living, I shaved in hotel showers using shampoo as my lube and a cartridge razor as my tool of choice. However, now that I am retired and can do a proper shave with proper hardware and software, my shaves are much closer and far more comfortable.

Top Bottom