What's new

Anyone else find the REX rough?

Works for me in every blade and soap configuration. Level 3 for the general shave, 5 for clean up. In the bunker now and really missing it (only brought 2 razors with me: Blackbird OC edges it ever so slightly as my favorite and also had to bring the Progress for my son’s peach fuzz).

Unfortunately, both the Rex Ambassador and Rex Envoy didn’t work out for me. I got 1 good shave out of the Ambassador at setting 3, 2.5 and 2 for last pass. Imo I think the safety bar is more aggressive than people think as it dives at an angle where if any pressure is applied it will scrape rather than glide and cut or irritate you. The key is right blade for sure. What impressed me the most about the Ambassador was that it was extremely efficient and smooth at setting 2 going Against the Grain. The Gamechanger .84Sb is a much better razor than the Envoy imo. YMMV

Did you do your due diligence on the razor before purchasing? I’m asking because if you do a search, I think you’ll find several posts from folks who found the Ambassador to give them razor burn inexplicably. I wanted very badly to like the Rex Ambassador, but just couldn’t get irritation-free shaves out of it, no matter how low the setting. It’s the only razor that’s ever given me razor burn. And I don’t even have sensitive skin. Very puzzling and frustrating, but I had no choice except to sell it on. It’s such a solidly built and aesthetically pleasing razor...I was hoping it would be my go-to, daily shaver, but it was not to be. For some perspective, I‘m a daily shaver and the main razors in my rotation include a Wolfman WR2 1.15, Timeless SS .95, Karve C/D, RR GC84, and Blackbird.

Unfortunately, both the Rex Ambassador and Rex Envoy didn’t work out for me. I got 1 good shave out of the Ambassador at setting 3, 2.5 and 2 for last pass. Imo I think the safety bar is more aggressive than people think as it dives at an angle where if any pressure is applied it will scrape rather than glide and cut or irritate you. The key is right blade for sure. What impressed me the most about the Ambassador was that it was extremely efficient and smooth at setting 2 going Against the Grain.

My Ambassador is currently at my office where I can’t get to it at the moment. If it threads properly, I might try putting my Gibbs top cap on it to see if it is any smoother. No blade posts but I’m sure I could line up the blade without issue as long as it clamps down and give it a go. I trim the blades for my Gibbs instead of hole punching so I already do the same thing basically.

I’ve always suspected the difference between the two razors had to do with the cap. Maybe thickness, the smooth chrome finish and or blade exposure.

I replaced the top caps of all my Parker Variants with the Merkur top caps with amazing results so this experiment might be beneficial.

My Ambassador is currently at my office where I can’t get to it at the moment. If it threads properly, I might try putting my Gibbs top cap on it to see if it is any smoother. No blade posts but I’m sure I could line up the blade without issue as long as it clamps down and give it a go. I trim the blades for my Gibbs instead of hole punching so I already do the same thing basically.

I’ve always suspected the difference between the two razors had to do with the cap. Maybe thickness, the smooth chrome finish and or blade exposure.

I replaced the top caps of all my Parker Variants with the Merkur top caps with amazing results so this experiment might be beneficial.
That sounds like a good experiment. Can’t wait to hear the results. Might be the best of both worlds.

I had the Rex and was the first razor that has gone out the door. It just didn’t work for me. No matter what blade, or soap I left my face on the sink. First time ever after coming back to single edge razor that I had razor burns.
I also had the envoy and it was no better.
The Rex I could not go above 2.5-3, on the face it felt like a Fatboy dialed up to 7-8 with the cutting performance of a 1-2.
It just didn’t work for me.

Greetings from Santa Rosa, CA

It's a razor that IMO is not intended for guys who prefer neutral or less blade exposure. If you like/love blade feel, then there's a chance you'll get along with the Ambassador. As a daily shaver, smoothness is the most important thing to me.

I also have tried two different Ambassadors (a friends w/ a M date code, and one I bought w/ an O3 date code), and both shaved the same. I LOVE the aesthetics and build quality. The handle knurling is the best I'll ever use in all likelihood. But simply too much blade feel for me. If I only shaved once or twice/week, my opinion might change.

The reality is that it is a terrible razor for shaving. It's fantastic to look at, and have a super cool paperweight on the bathroom counter. CNC milled stainless razors are neat, but I actually think a cast brass cap, tumbled for ultimate smoothness, and then nickel plated makes for a smoother shave than the Rex Ambassador. It is just really sticky on the face. No matter how slick a lather you make, it drags like a sumbitch. No one wants to go on a shaving forum and admit to being stupid enough to buy a 400 dollar modern razor when a 20 dollar ebay vintage gillette shaves better, but in the interest of saving others money, I am admitting to it. I bought the Rhodium version, and it is hands down the worst shaver I have, and I have shaved with at least 100 different razors, mostly vintage.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The reality is that it is a terrible razor for shaving. It's fantastic to look at, and have a super cool paperweight on the bathroom counter. CNC milled stainless razors are neat, but I actually think a cast brass cap, tumbled for ultimate smoothness, and then nickel plated makes for a smoother shave than the Rex Ambassador. It is just really sticky on the face. No matter how slick a lather you make, it drags like a sumbitch. No one wants to go on a shaving forum and admit to being stupid enough to buy a 400 dollar modern razor when a 20 dollar ebay vintage gillette shaves better, but in the interest of saving others money, I am admitting to it. I bought the Rhodium version, and it is hands down the worst shaver I have, and I have shaved with at least 100 different razors, mostly vintage.
Welcome to the forum 🙂

Better/different soap.
Different angle.
YMMV.

Got mine for well under $400. Under $200 actually. Ride the cap over 3.5, neutral/guard under. I have it with me now, visiting family for 10 days and I shave daily, Proraso is my travel puck.

I understand that it may not work for you, but saying others are "afraid to admit to being stupid enough to spend $xxx" is painfully arrogant, and having ~100 razors no more measures knowledge or capability than owning a single, extremely rare, razor.

I think this is another "YMMV" scenario. It did take me a month or so to get the Rex dialed in but has become my daily driver. I find it to be very smooth and effective. It is like the Rex was built just for me; great grip, excellent balance and great shaves. I have been using mostly Barrister & Mann soaps and balm but it works equally well with Arko. I will say that Arko does dry my face so I don't use Arko on consecutive days.

The Rex is blade-forward throughout the range, and certainly not the mildest adjustable in my stable as you go up, but with some extended use and the right blade (I use Personna or Astra SP), I've actually come to respect it and even like it. It's got the best grip of any razor I've ever used, is one the most solidly-built adjustables, and dialed down gives me a great 3-pass shave with no irritation but it's not a tame puddy-tat, and requires your attention :001_smile....

Last edited:
The reality is that it is a terrible razor for shaving....
I'm sure you meant to say "for me"....
:biggrin1:
Welcome to the forum!

I actually think @Kendoll is right. The Ambassador does drag like crazy. Now whether or not folks have become accustomed to it doesn’t change the reality of it. It’s not a particularly good razor without the circumstances being right or a fair amount of experience using it.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Too much unsupported blade exposure. I have only the Envoy, which supposedly is the 3 setting of the Ambassador.

The nice knurling of the handle and bring the first adjustable in steel carried the Ambassador far. Modern designs are usually much more clamped down than the Rex razors.

It will be interesting to see how much the Konsul will be different, slants are by default usually more on the rigid side how the blade is held.

I like the massive pin stand of the razors a lot! The Envoy itself didn't convince me to try the Ambassador.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Not sure if this is practical but some fellows will double blade a some razors to smooth it out. It is much like shimming but you keep both blades as is.
It would be a interesting experiment, there have been a few folks over the years who do this practice.
I do not own a Rex Ambassador but it might help smooth it out or no change?

Too much unsupported blade exposure.
I think you’re right. I have a lot of experience with a fair number of very “aggressive” razors, most of which I really liked, but I just can’t make this one work for me. Admittedly, I’ve only used it 8-10 times, but I feel like it’s either set low (anything below 3.5-4) and it’s nowhere near efficient enough, or it’s set high and I get a lot of chatter, some mild irritation and maybe even a nick or two.

I’d love to be able to tell the Ambassador, “it’s not you, it’s me,” but I really don’t think it’s me. Sure, I could “learn” how to shave with it, but should I have to? I’m skeptical.

And before anyone says anything, I know all razors have a slight learning curve, but that should be like 1-2 shaves max. I’ve used this thing plenty to have adjusted to it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom