What's new

Anyone else collect Netsuke?

I guess this is the right place to post this.

I don't really have a big collection. It just amazes me at the detail that the artist put into some of these carvings.

I bought a few at a antique store a few years ago and recently bought the tall one locally. It is very detailed and the favorite one I have.

Anyone else have any?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414602970.667339.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414602989.781435.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414603003.412109.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414603017.022319.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414603028.237788.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have one, a modern reproduction Buddha. But they have always fascinated me. The old ox bone and ivory are especially interesting, and the erotic ones will make a sailor blush.

Legion

Staff member
I have a few. Here are some of them

proxy.php

Catfish. Ivory.

proxy.php

Rats on a gourd. Mammoth ivory.

proxy.php

Little dude. Ivory. Belonged to my Grandmother.

proxy.php

Rat and skull. Ivory. Note the polished surface from years of rubbing against silk.

proxy.php

Hippo. Ebony.

proxy.php

Octopus and man. Wood.

proxy.php

Dragon. Wood.

I have a couple more.

Legion

Staff member
My father told me that when he was a kid my grandparents had a large collection of them, which they bought at auction during the depression. All gone, sadly, except that one little ivory man which I found in my grandmothers stuff after she passed away.

The Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury, Vermont (Northeast Kingdom) has a nice collection. It's the only time I've ever seen these magical little items.

My father told me that when he was a kid my grandparents had a large collection of them, which they bought at auction during the depression. All gone, sadly, except that one little ivory man which I found in my grandmothers stuff after she passed away.

Having just one that belonged to your grandmother is awesome.

The small one in my pics is untouched. It is very shiny too. It is signed on the bottom but I can't read kanji.

Legion

Staff member
The Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury, Vermont (Northeast Kingdom) has a nice collection. It's the only time I've ever seen these magical little items.

The British Museum has a great collection, about 2300 of them. Quite a few are on display, if you ever get there. The V&A museum has some nice ones as well.

I inherited a few, but I sold them to pay for my expensive university. Did anyone else read "The Hare with the Amber Eyes"? About the vicissitudes of an amazing netsuke collection. And much more.

Top Bottom