What's new

Anyone else baking fruitcake this year?

I guess my grandma won't mind if I post the basic recipe:

1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups hot applesauce (unsweetended)
2 cups sugar
4 tsp baking soda
1 lb currants
1 lb raisins
1 lb candied peel (Fruitcake mix)
1 cup coarse nut meats
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt (more if you use unsalted butter)
5 cups flour

Optional:
4-8 oz of candied cherries, dates, candied pineapple, any other dried fruit. We use cherries,dates, and candied pineapple, up to 1 lb each.

Cream sugar and butter, add spices, baking powder, and salt. Mix in hot applesauce and flour, then mix in the dried fruit and mix well. A large Kitchen Aid works well, otherwise mix the dried fruit in by hand (this batch won't fit in the small KA).

Line baking pans with parchment or waxed paper (else you will never get the cakes out!) and fill about half full to account for expansion, they will overflow if filled too full before the cake sets.

Bake at 250 F with a pan of water in the bottom of the oven until a tester comes out dry, this will take up to six hours. Do NOT bake at higher temps, they will turn to glassy boulders. Do not underbake, they will be very gummy.

Remove from oven when done, invert on a rack, and remove paper. Allow to cool completely, then wrap (or put in ziplock bags) and allow to ripen a few weeks -- the crust is very hard initially and will soften nicely after a few weeks. If you wish, spritz them with brandy occasionally when ripening, but this is not our family tradition -- all dry Methodists.

If the peel or dried fruit are hard, steam a few minutes or dribble some hot water on it and cover tightly and let it sit overnight to soften. I've also soaked the dried fruit with a few ounces of brandy, that works out very well too.

This is very much a traditional English fruitcake (also used for wedding cake there), not the super sweet sticky mess often sold on this side of the pond. I have several other recipes too, but this is the traditional one.
Thank you so much! I'm not sure when I will have the time, but I will try this!☺

Top Bottom