What's new

Anyone else anti-tallow?

The best shaves for me are non tallow. Non tallow haslinger, SV, Castle Forbes. I wonder if the hard water I have makes tallow more difficult to lather well?

I would like to mention that I have very soft water, might be more tallow soap friendly. I can easily lather up Williams, MWF, you name it. Even though I have no problems lathering up Williams, I don't use it any more. Even though it is pretty slick and protective, I find it to be a bit sticky or gummy if you will. It also requires more work to rinse the razor, bowl and brush after I use it. Not worth it for me I'm afraid.

I will say that I can lather tallow soaps fine, and the lather looks really nice. The closeness and post-shave feel are just not as good as my favorites.

Post shave feel. That's something a lot of guys take into account when favoring one over the other. I pretty much have the same post shave feel from all types of soaps. Must be my oily skin.

When I first started wet-shaving, I bought tallow soaps and thought they were superior to vegan soaps. Now I have 3 vegan soaps (MdC, Catie's Bubbles, and Henri et Victoria) and they have proven to be fine soaps. Now I don't worry about checking to see if a soap is tallow based. I simply purchase a use what I'm interested in.

Post shave feel. That's something a lot of guys take into account when favoring one over the other. I pretty much have the same post shave feel from all types of soaps. Must be my oily skin.

That’s probably me too. I use witch hazel and rub some on my nose, because at my age it’s still oily. My face will dry out and itch, if I don’t use balm and there isn’t any soap or cream that can stop that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue is the veggie soaps are full of carcinogens and xenoestrogens to make them perform like tallow based soaps
That's quite a claim to make and leave without any supporting information. Honestly, it sounds like a joke but given the limitations of the written language I'm not sure.

When I first started wet-shaving, I bought tallow soaps and thought they were superior to vegan soaps. Now I have 3 vegan soaps (MdC, Catie's Bubbles, and Henri et Victoria) and they have proven to be fine soaps. Now I don't worry about checking to see if a soap is tallow based. I simply purchase a use what I'm interested in.
Stearic acid is the compound used to replicate tallow in modern soaps (including all those you named). It's most often derived from animal fat... aka Tallow. So you're not using tallow-free... just more processed tallow.

Stearic acid is the compound used to replicate tallow in modern soaps (including all those you named). It's most often derived from animal fat... aka Tallow. So you're not using tallow-free... just more processed tallow.
Stearic acid can also be derived from plants. The animal origin is probably much more common and cheaper, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of true vegan soaps with stearic acid in them.

Wikipedia:

Stearic acid is obtained from fats and oils by the saponification of the triglycerides using hot water (about 100 °C). The resulting mixture is then distilled. Commercial stearic acid is often a mixture of stearic and palmitic acids, although purified stearic acid is available.

Fats and oils rich in stearic acid are more abundant in animal fat (up to 30%) than in vegetable fat (typically <5%). The important exceptions are the foods cocoa butter and shea butter, where the stearic acid content (as a triglyceride) is 28–45%.

Stearic acid can also be derived from plants. The animal origin is probably much more common and cheaper, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of true vegan soaps with stearic acid in them.
Yes. You can buy plant derived stearic acid. It's more expensive and likely exclusive to products advertising that they are 100% vegan derived.

Definitely not-anti tallow. But I have veggie based soaps that out perform some tallow soaps (and vise versa)
110% agree.

Provence Sante Green Tea, Sudsy Soapery and Dr Jon's are some of my favorites.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Hahaha.. This is one of the most absurd things I've ever read on this site. And, that's saying a lot.
If you haven't shaved while wearing your tinfoil hat, have you ever really shaved at all? [emoji1787]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not really pro or anti, but it just so happens that the soaps that worked better for my skin are tallow based. Some exceptions would be the Janus vegan from GD, non-tallow from Sudsy Soapery and Saponificio Varesino soaps.

Synthetics, veggie soaps, alcohol free fruity colognes make you girly. Badgers/boars, SS/brass razors and Skin Bracer make you manly. You can lift kettlebells with the healthy errection from SR shaving.

These are well known facts.

It is known.

The fatty acid structure of tallow has the highest amount of fatty acid being Oleic Acid at about 43-47%! Palmitic Acid is around 25-26% and Stearic Acid is only about 14-18% which is quite a small percentage with the rest being a few others in much smaller percentages. It is the combination of all of these fatty acids together which gives tallow the qualities which work well for some in shaving products. It is also known for its odor. I remember smelling soaps in the early 1960's that had nice fragrances but a very stinky undertone that I did not like and the labels said that they included tallow.

Personally, I don't eat beef and don't feel the need to kill a cow to be able to wash,bathe or eat. There are ways to create soap-based products that have these qualities using vegetable (or even sustainable vegetable) fatty acids and they can perform well without going down the tallow path.

I've been DE shaving now for about 14 years.

I'm not a fan of tallow-based soaps. I'm not a vegan nor an animal activist. While I do not enjoy the tallow smell that some artisan soaps have, I could tolerate it.

I find that the slickest, closest cutting, and most moisturizing soaps I have tried have not included tallow:

Pre De Provence
Saponificio Varesino
La Toja

Am I alone?

Even better than those you mentioned (except Pre De Provence, which I have not used):

Baume.Be cream
Grooming Dept Janus vegan

No, you are not alone.

Top Bottom