What's new

Anyone Drink Italian Amari Liquers?

During the last several years I have gotten into amari or what Italians also call aperitifs and digestifs, both to drink by themselves and to mix into cocktails. I have assembled bottles of Aperol, Averna, Campari, Cynar, Fernet Branca, Meletti and Montenegro. Some of these are more accessible to newbies than others. If you're just starting, I would recommend buying bottles of Aperol, Averna, Meletti and Montenegro. Campari, Cynar and Fernet Branca can be a bit much for some people, but they tend to grow on you. I mainly use these amri for variants on Manhattans, swapping out an amaro for red vermouth. Saluti!

The only one of these that I drink straight is Fernet Branca. While it's tolerable by itself from a drink/enjoyment perspective, it is (at least for me), the best thing to have when I've overeaten.

We go through a decent amount of Campari as a mixer, since I like Negronis/Boulevardiers/Americanos. I'm sure I've encountered Aperol, Cynar a

I'm intrigued by your idea of swapping out amari in Manhattans.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've used Averna (had to get the local wine & spirits guy to order it special) to make Black Manhattan cocktails. More often you'll find me with one of the Campari based drinks, as it is easier to procure around here. Americano's are tasty, but my favorite if I feel like mixing one up is the Boulevardier

I like them. A guy a few neighborhoods away in Brooklyn has been making his own, which I have tasted at a couple of my local shops.

I love them all. They seem to be starting to make amari locally in a lot of places.

<aperitifs and digestifs>

Good ways to begin and end meals! I loved it in Italy when at the end of the meal they would bring out three bottles on ice--limoncello, grappa, and amaro--and you were expected to just help yourself.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Campari, Cynar and Fernet Branca can be a bit much for some people, but they tend to grow on you.

And they certainly have with me. I rarely drink Campari straight, but you'll often see me with a Campari & soda or a good negroni. Cynar and Fernet Branca are better straight, the latter being one of my favorite ways to finish a meal.

Aperol is a great substitute for Campari. If you really enjoy Amari check out Cocchi Americano too. Fernet is great and Fernet Branca Menta served chilled is pretty great. Not Italian but I also enjoy Green Chartreuse neat.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Aperol is a great substitute for Campari.

I would say that Aperol is an alternative to Campari, not a substitute. Aperol is far less bitter and only has about half the alcohol. Both work well in the same cocktails, but there is a substantial difference in how that cocktail comes out. For example, I love a Negroni, traditionally made with Campari. However, I do not care at all for one made with Aperol--far too sweet and fruity for me. I've had one where the sweet vermouth was reduced, and that wasn't as bad, but it still was mighty sweet and not for me.

For example, I love a Negroni, traditionally made with Campari. However, I do not care at all for one made with Aperol--far too sweet and fruity for me.
I understand what you're saying, Aperol being a bitter orange liqueur after all, It is much sweeter than campari. Personally campari is a little too dry for me which is why I "substitute" Aperol in my negronis and boulevardiers while dialing back the sweet vermouth, as you had mentioned. It's a personal preference that many of my bar regulars back in the day also appreciated back in the day.

Top Bottom