What's new

Anyone do the no-shampoo thing?

I have been reading about the harmful effects of shampoo on your hair and scalp. I also read that many people just stop using shampoo (they refer to it as no-poo) and comment on how their hair is in better condition. No-shampoo doesn't mean no-washing. You rinse your hair and either massage your scalp with your fingertips or use a plastic brush to "massage" your scalp. I am on day 2 with no poo. So far so good. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Hmm, that sounds really interesting and I might want to try it out. I'll definitely watch this thread.

Oddly enough I just read about this very thing last night. With so many variables from one person to the next regarding scalp oils and such, I'll never be convinced of any "one solution for all" type approach, but I can see this approach working well for some.

I am going on a year with this. https://drsquatch.com/shop/product/503651566 I shampoo twice a week and condition it everyday. I do not have a problem with my hair being oil before or after switching. I have short hair and almost a year with the same bottle of shampoo. I have gone a week without shampoo and still no problem. My wife on the other hand has a problem going a couple days without shampoo. Just depends on you and your environment.

I tried it a few years ago and be prepared to go thru a greasy phase as your scalp is replenishing the oils that are washed away everyday with shampoo. I tried just using conditioner but I couldn't give it 100%. I deal with the public for my job and I couldn't have greasy hair not to mention it can start to smell. I lasted about 3 weeks.
I've read that it's good in the long run but I couldn't commit. I now just make sure I use shampoo without sulphates.
I wish you luck and I'll interested in your results

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No shampoo here. Approaching 10 months so far.

For me it's usually just a plainwater rinse, but I might add a couple of drops of tea tree oil. Occasionally I'll rinse with chamomile tea. Massaging the scalp, and using a pure bristle brush, both help with the overall cleanliness.

Getting through the sebum settling phase is quite challenging, but one thing that helped me was to use a raw egg as shampoo when hair gets intolerably greasy. Just be sure to rinse with cold water to avoid getting "omelette head". It's a useful trick to fall back on when needed.

Use raw egg no more than once a week, as it can make your hair brittle if overused. I still have a few bottles of shampoo kicking around, but use them on my Kent bristle brushes rather than my head.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My wife uses baking soda as a cleanser and vinegar with lemon juice as a rinse. Works well for her.

I’ve been using Puracy shampoo and conditioner for a while and will post a review if I get time. I wanted to avoid the bad stuff in shampoo but my dang hair is to oily to stop shampooing.

It’s non-toxic and biodegradable. It’s been wonderful and makes my hair really soft and shiny.

D2948CC6-E034-4A6B-B13F-3846950E4B96.png

1CA5E5A6-344E-4C90-B437-8D4446AF79E0.png

Depends on your lifestyle really. For example, since I use oil based hair products, I could not imagine the buildup if I didn't shampoo it out everyday. Tried shampooing every other day but it did not work well. I guess water based products are better in that regard, but nevertheless there is always some buildup. I guess i should try no product-no shampoo for a few days and see how it works out.

"...lather, rinse, repeat..."

The word "repeat" has probably sold more shampoo than anything else.

While I have not personally cut shampoo completely out, I only use a quarter-sized dollop an don't bother to "repeat". This coupled with the use of a boar hairbrush I'm experimenting with, I find I no longer need conditioner.

I've been using these shampoo bars for about 3 years. All natural ingredients. My hair is fuller and softer that it has ever been. Even with a lot of gray! I use the honey, beer & egg one.
Natural Shampoo Bars

I've been using these shampoo bars for about 3 years. All natural ingredients. My hair is fuller and softer that it has ever been. Even with a lot of gray! I use the honey, beer & egg one.
Natural Shampoo Bars
Interesting! I see Stirling has a bunch of shampoo bar options. I hadn't even heard of shampoo bars until a week ago and didn't think anything of them but doing a little digging and watching the video from the link you provided has made me very curious. I'm going to have to try one.

Interesting! I see Stirling has a bunch of shampoo bar options. I hadn't even heard of shampoo bars until a week ago and didn't think anything of them but doing a little digging and watching the video from the link you provided has made me very curious. I'm going to have to try one.
I tried a few and these worked the best for me. They have sample sizes to try.

In the past I have used Mitchel's Wool Fat bar soap for washing my hair. Amazing stuff. I should order some more...I think I am done with shampoo.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I use TRUE cubes of savon de Marseille with 72% of olive oil for my entire body, hair and scalp included. I can only praise these amazing soaps for their excellent qualities and benefits, which have been scientifically demonstrated by dermatologists all over the world.

Top Bottom