What's new

Anyone do the no-shampoo thing?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have been reading about the harmful effects of shampoo on your hair and scalp. I also read that many people just stop using shampoo (they refer to it as no-poo) and comment on how their hair is in better condition. No-shampoo doesn't mean no-washing. You rinse your hair and either massage your scalp with your fingertips or use a plastic brush to "massage" your scalp. I am on day 2 with no poo. So far so good. I will keep you posted.
I use Grandpa’s Pine Tar soap. I used coal tar soap until it became unavailable. Great for dandruff. It is just a bar soap and all natural. Best shampoo ever.

I use body wash on my (shaved bald) head and conditioner on my beard. Three times a week. I'll only use shampoo in my beard if I've been working really hard, or when I'm really dirty.

I have been doing this probably for a decade now. I have crap hair genetics as is and wanted to do anything possible to preserve my hairline. Despite the genetics, I have experienced minimal hair loss in the last decade, no real dandruff, and anytime I was up to setting foot in a barber they commented my hair was very thick ( as I heard / felt the clippers stalling out on my head). I’ve never experienced any cons, and at the end of the day I see no reason to ever use shampoo again unless your hair actually gets soiled.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve been using Sudsy Soapery‘s shampoo bars for about 1.5 years. They contain no chemicals — only natural ingredients. I’ll never go back to the bottled crap.

I just started using Martial Vivot shampoo. Read an article where editor of GQ was singing the praises of this product. Said you dont need conditioner. One oddity is that when you rinse it off you finish with cold or cool water. It is not like other shampoos where I need conditioner.
One drawback is the price.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I got a new tool in the hair washing front this week.

I think it's great! A good mechanical (as opposed to chemical) way of keeping the scalp clean. Coupled with a couple of their bristle brushes, no shampoo is needed here, and my hair is pretty much down to my nipples.

Actually, the no shampoo isn't entirely correct. I keep a bottle of Vosene for shampooing the brushes

I use the natural shampoo bars from mystic water and PAA and then just do a apple cider vinegar rinse. Post out of the shower either a pea sized scoop of coconut oil or I have beard oil from PAA that I use. Been doing this for almost 6 months now, my hair has never felt so soft and look healthy. Did I mention it’s saving me a lot of money too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The water pressure out of the detachable shower head on 'jet' setting does most of the cleaning. To augment, I use this regularly on my body and every 2 - 3 weeks or so on my hair:
indian soap 20200525.jpg

My hair and scalp have never felt cleaner.

I've moved to washing with shampoo every 4th day but I use conditioner (Baxters of California) every day and that seems to be working well for me along with brushing it with a boar brush in the evening.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've moved to washing with shampoo every 4th day but I use conditioner (Baxters of California) every day and that seems to be working well for me along with brushing it with a boar brush in the evening.

I did that for a while, but over time, I had issues. There was a lot of accumulating build up, probably from the silicones (any ingredient ending in -one I think), and my hair felt matted and sticky, no matter how much I rinsed. Once I got all that crap out with a clarifying shampoo (Vosene), I stuck to water only. It took a while for the natural oils to stabilise again, but then my hair and scalp were much happier.

Used 1:10 acv this morning hair is now a lot easier to comb. Next week hairdresser to clean those 12 weeks out.
And maybe remaining shaving soap as shampoo is not so...

Just a tip
I shave in the shower / steam room and if you get acv (acid) in your shaving soap the resulting soap and shave might disappoint. Ow and nicks and cuts do not work well with acids either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom