What's new

Anyone do the no-shampoo thing?

I've been shaving my head with a pair of clippers for over 10 years, what we call a 'Skinhead' hair cut in the UK, ever since I really started to go bald, and alternating between that and long hair since I was 15. But for the last decade I've continued to use shampoo, anti-dandruff mostly. I though it was necessary to maintain a healthy scalp, despite being mostly bald. I would still get a bit of dandruff and after every shower, my scalp would be really dry, then really oily until the next shower, when the cycle would begin all over again.

Well, I read this thread and for the last 3 or 4 weeks, maybe more, no shampoo, I just rub my scalp briefly with my hands under the shower and dry vigorously with a towel when I get out. Right from the start, I had no itchiness, no unpleasant smell, no dryness and my scalp is not really oily at all anymore. I should've done this ages ago! I haven't washed my face with soap or shower gel for at least twenty years and my skin has been far healthier for it, I really should have figured this out sooner.

Best of all, I'll save money too, which I can put towards a nice shaving soap.

Cheers!

I shave my head every day, no other soap or shampoo for years, scalp is in far better shape than it ever was before this routine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I thought I would bump this thread forward and update you on the "no-poo" thing I started back in February of 2018. I am still doing the no shampoo routine -- either just plain water or a small bit of conditioner once or twice a week. My hair looks and feels great. Even my barber has commented on the good condition of my hair for my age (60+). Has anyone else adopted this approach? What has been your experience?

I haven't used shampoo since my hair fell out. Seems to be working out just fine.
Hmmmm. Maybe that's the best method.

I rarely shampoo. I noticed a while back ago my scalp seemed much drier when I used the stuff. Now I'll maybe use bar shampoo once every two or three weeks, if that. Once the weather gets better and I start jogging again, I might shampoo once a week or two to fight the sweat.

I read about this over a year ago and decided to try it. Up until then, I had been shampooing daily and then using conditioner. I decided to give it a go and haven't shampooed since then. Your hair has natural oils which any shampoo, no matter how mild, will remove and leave hair which is almost unmanageable. That's why we add conditioner. Love the results with just massaging well. Removes dirt and leaves the hair manageable.

When you think of it our hair produces oil to keep the hair healthy. And for the most part our hair is not dirty unless you work in a place that is dusty and grimy, so it is not necessary to wash out the natural oils. Shampoo seems like its working against the grain. I wish I had discovered this many years ago. Since I stopped using shampoo my hair has felt much healthier. It was at the point -- before I stopped using shampoo -- where it was dry and brittle no matter how much conditioner I used.

When you think of it our hair produces oil to keep the hair healthy. And for the most part our hair is not dirty unless you work in a place that is dusty and grimy, so it is not necessary to wash out the natural oils. Shampoo seems like its working against the grain. I wish I had discovered this many years ago. Since I stopped using shampoo my hair has felt much healthier. It was at the point -- before I stopped using shampoo -- where it was dry and brittle no matter how much conditioner I used.

the same argument can be made for soap. Our skin produces oil to stay healthy and we strip it away with soap. Soap has its place. It’s just overused. Most things we come in contact with are water soluble, so water is largely sufficient.

The observant will notice the makers of Head and Shoulders don't claim it will work.
Yes they don’t claim it does but it is listed as anti dandruff,you sort of expect it to work when it’s written on the bottle. If you brought a razor that said no knicks cut or razor burn you would expect that out of the box.

I shampoo once a week. Most days it’s just a rinse in the shower. Savon de Marseille sounds interesting. This would really cut down in the number of products in the shower as well as plastic waste. I may give this a try.

Yes they don’t claim it does but it is listed as anti dandruff,you sort of expect it to work when it’s written on the bottle. If you brought a razor that said no knicks cut or razor burn you would expect that out of the box.

I don't disagree but they have always claimed it visibly reduces dandruff not that it cures it.

What do you mean?

They claim it will wash away the flakes. Not prevent flakes or treat the problem causing the flakes. They claim it can be used daily yet medicated shampoo should not be used daily. It's not really medicated shampoo.

They claim it will wash away the flakes. Not prevent flakes or treat the problem causing the flakes. They claim it can be used daily yet medicated shampoo should not be used daily. It's not really medicated shampoo.

I think it has a little bit of zinc in it which is supposed to be good for the scalp. I used to use it, even though I'm pretty much bald but now I don't. I'm a few months in to the 'no shampoo thing' now and my scalp has never been better, neither dry nor oily.

Last night I was reading something about hard water and I noticed the recommendation of using a few drops of lemon juice or cider vinegar once a week if you absolutely insist on shampooing your hair. They both have mild antiseptic properties and might be more effective than H&S, which used to dry my scalp out, causing, you've guessed it, dandruff.

Top Bottom