What's new

Anyone do the no-shampoo thing?

Still doing this (have been for going on 10 years now). I'm finding that a shampoo every once in awhile is fine (say 2 or 3 months) to keep my collars from getting a buildup of sebum.

I’ve been doing this for about 2 weeks now. I shower twice a day and rinse my hair out really well with water. I also have short hair. I even occasionally use texture cream or fiber and that washes out fine with water. Head doesn’t smell and hair is not greasy at all. No idea if this would work with longer or thicker hair but mine doesn’t feel or look much different. I had dry hair before but things seem to be normalizing. Interesting.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I’ve been doing this for about 2 weeks now. I shower twice a day and rinse my hair out really well with water. I also have short hair. I even occasionally use texture cream or fiber and that washes out fine with water. Head doesn’t smell and hair is not greasy at all. No idea if this would work with longer or thicker hair but mine doesn’t feel or look much different. I had dry hair before but things seem to be normalizing. Interesting.
Very interesting. We use way too much chemicals on ourselves.

Entering week three myself. Just a good rinse rinse with water in the shower once a day. Hair got really greasy but is settling down now.
Anyone using a boar hairbrush and does it help?

FarmerTan

I went from shampoo/conditioner daily to now weekly and see a difference in my hair.
Awesome. Sebum production increases with stimulation.

I was a geriatric nurse for years. A dirty little secret is that US culture of "cleanliness at all costs" is causing a lot of unnecessary skin issues in the elderly. Yes, scrub your naughty bits, but seriously: washing the arms and legs of an old timer with very poor skin elasticity is just asking for skin tears and abrasions. Sorry for the rant!

While I don't think shampoo is particularly harmful to hair in shorter hair styles, you can definitely get by without frequent shampooings.

I would recommend checking out hair tonics in lieu of shampoo.

I shampoo my hair a few times a week, but I do so for the scalp and circulation-enhancing benefits from using coal tar and ketoconazole. If you work in a dirty job, also, shampooing your hair is a must (my S.O. works in a coin sorting room and comes in contact with alot of grime, for instance). Otherwise, just using hair tonic and giving your hair a good brushing (boar hair is better than stiff, prickly nylon) is the way to go.

FarmerTan

While I don't think shampoo is particularly harmful to hair in shorter hair styles, you can definitely get by without frequent shampooings.

I would recommend checking out hair tonics in lieu of shampoo.

I shampoo my hair a few times a week, but I do so for the scalp and circulation-enhancing benefits from using coal tar and ketoconazole. If you work in a dirty job, also, shampooing your hair is a must (my S.O. works in a coin sorting room and comes in contact with alot of grime, for instance). Otherwise, just using hair tonic and giving your hair a good brushing (boar hair is better than stiff, prickly nylon) is the way to go.
Agree completely.
I used to cut guys hair right after they got out of work. The shop rats literally had oily hair, and shop rats/construction worker/manly-non-hairdresser-types are some of the most hygiene minded people on the planet.
I always wondered what those shop rats lungs looked like! Nobody wore masks, and all of us smoked back then. How are some of us still living?!?

Still using minimal shampoo each day. No, I will not go without it. Tried that a couple days and got matted hair. Not gonna go out looking like that. I doubt going longer would solve the oily hair thing, I have too much natural production.

My hair looks darker than before and more body. Use a mild shampoo, Frutis is the name I think. I never get any lather now, before I always got lather and thought that was the way to go. After washing my hair I would apply gel, pomade, etc. in an attempt to restore what I had washed out.

Rarely apply some pomade now.

If you really want to take dermatologist advice at heart don't bathe every day. Do it once a week with nothing but natural fated Marseilles soap (72%).

I love H&S Old Spice shampoo because of that nice sandalwood scent.

proxy.php

Been like 6 weeks or so now for me since my last shampoo. Still no ill effects. Hair is not dry or greasy or smelly. But again, it is short and I'm balding, so I have no idea how it would work with longer hair. And I still rinse it well in the shower either once or twice a day. I am very hygiene oriented, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep stripping out oils and needing to replace them. Anything I get in my hair or on my scalp is water soluble.

I shampoo once a week but use conditioner every day, after a couple of months of doing this I feel my hair now seems better. I have a lot of fine hair, it seems thicker now and more manageable.

I shampoo 1-2x a week, use conditioner every day, full head of hair, and want to continue that trend, the full head of hair that is...

Why do you guys condition even when not shampooing?

softens my hair, neutralizes the cream/clay/product, makes it smell good and doesn’t strip it of all it’s natural Oils and make it dry. You should wash your face 2x a day, and anything below the neck can be washed and soaped up as much as need be, lol. If you have an oily scalp than yeah, shampoo every other day. Good grooming is essential to being healthy overall. You brush and floss 2-3x per day? Cant really wash your hair every single day. If you’re a swimmer, you better be conditioning it. I like Rudy’s and Aveda products for my hair. And again, I’ve got a pretty solid head of hair, I def want to continue this trend lol

A32503D0-5AF3-4E2E-9767-40498D90D7D6.jpeg

There are some milder shampoos out there now days. Sometimes I use Old Spice 3 in 1 body wash/shampoo/conditioner.

It's alot better than even a decade ago when every man's shower product had to basically strip your body or hair of oil.

Interesting topic. When I was a kid we lived on Long Island about 35 minutes outside of Manhattan. I would travel into Manhattan weekly for drum lessons or to see music in the jazz clubs. During the summer my parents were kind enough to send me away to summer camp up in the Northern Adirondack Mountains. It was quite literally in the middle of nowhere. Absolutely amazing. We spent our entire summer outside. Even our cabins were pretty much outside because there were not windows. Only knee walls of slats of wood up to about 3 or 4 feet and then they just wrapped screen around the the rest of the opening to the roof all the way around the cabins. I wouldn't have had it any other way. What does this have to do with shampoo and hair? Well, we would bath in the lake back then but I rarely would use shampoo, basically because it wasn't necessary. And after every summer I went home and found that if I didn't use shampoo every day, my hair would get all greasy. I realized that it was due to all the pollution in the NY Metro Area. In fact, when we were coming home on the bus on the NY Thruway we could see the city in the distance and there was literally a brown dome over the city. It was disgusting. So, the issue of whether you need shampoo every day or not depends as much on your environment as it does on your body's own propensity for emanating oils.

I have been experimenting with VO5 conditioner in my hair. It seems to work OK on the days that I don't use Nizoral shampoo. The ingredients in the conditioner have adequate cleaning power and there is no buildup, though I can't help but think a mild shampoo could be made that might be just a touch stronger, maybe using a gentle surfactant. At any rate, as long as I stick to water-based hair products, it works fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom