What's new

Anyone do the no-shampoo thing?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Update: I started this no-poo thing back in February and I have only occasionally washed my hair with conditioner and my hair and scalp feel more healthy now than ever. I feel like I was tricked by good marketing for all these years. "Wash, rinse, repeat". Totally unnecessary!

Yup. My hair and scalp are in better condition too. I still have a load of hair products, but they've been relegated to the bottom of the wardrobe, and will only come out if I get some serious gunk in my hair.

What do you guys recommend that's natural and has minimal ingredients? I see a few recommendations in this thread. I'm just looking for a shampoo and conditioner.

I almost took a chance on some high reviewed Amazon products, but reading a little more revealed they could do more damage than good.

I've been using a shampoo bar from Wet Shaving Products for about a month now. I love it! My hair feels thicker and healthier.

I tried the no-shampoo thing and I lasted about 3 weeks before my scalp started itching so bad that I couldnt stand it. I tried a shampoo bar and really liked it at first but the itching drove me crazy. Im not back to using my old standby: Head And Shoulders and the itching is gone.

The cheapest conditioner that works for no-poo is Suave Naturals Coconut available at Walmart.

Free of Silicone. Make sure to get "Naturals" not the other one

Last edited:
The people that use Stirling shampoo bar does it leave hair soft enough that you dont need conditioner?

Does it really cure dandruff? On another forum people are saying it cured their dandruff

Since my standard haircut is a buzzcut, I have little need to use it on my scalp, but I will grab some of SWMBO's Head & Shoulders 2in1 to get wax out of my 'stache.

[edit] Now that I think about it, last year I was getting some itching and flaking above my ears where my glasses arms were pressing. I took to working some Head & Shoulders in with a soft nail brush during my daily shower, and the problem went away in a few days. I mentioned this to my doctor at my next checkup and he said that it's effective for lots of different conditions.

Last edited:
I stopped using shampoo a few years ago and use a bath soap that make for my family to clean my hair I stead.

What do you guys recommend that's natural and has minimal ingredients? I see a few recommendations in this thread. I'm just looking for a shampoo and conditioner.

I almost took a chance on some high reviewed Amazon products, but reading a little more revealed they could do more damage than good.

I use "Petal Fresh". Very good ingredient list and lots of options for different hairtypes. You can buy at iherb and it is very inexpensive to boot.

I haven't regularly used shampoo in probably 8 years. Maybe once every 3-6 months if my hair gets really grimy do to working on the car or something really dirty, otherwise never. Fixed my light dandruff issue and my hair is extremely strong and healthy. My hair is not oily either. I cannot recommend not using shampoo highly enough. If you do, something like Toadstoolsoaps on etsy is a nice light option for shampoo and conditioner. They're pink pepper scent is very complimentary to DRH Windsor.

I haven’t read the comments so pardon me if this has already been said.

Growing up I had very oily and thin hair. My solution was to wash the grease out with shampoo sometimes twice a day which resulted in non-oily, thicker hair... temporarily. Like, for 6 hours.

I started nopoo in 2005 or something like that. For a week or so my hair looked like I hadn’t showered or more specifically, worse than before. Then, a miracle happened. My head stopped producIng sebum (oil) by like 80-90% and my hair looked fluffier, thicker, and healthier than ever before.

That is of cOurse the logic behind nopoo: the more you strip your hair of oil, the more your head produces it.

I’m sure everyone will react different but it worked wonders for me and a Whole lot of other people.

Last note: I did shampoo maybe once every two weeks and washed-massaged my hair under the shower daily.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I looked through a number of posts where users recommend natural shampoos. No harm there, I’m sure they work really well. Most certainly better than commerical poo. However, they too most likely strip your head/hair of sebum or oil and cause your head to immediately produce more. See the never ending cycle here? My advise would be to definitely go nopoo for weeks at a time.

Last edited:
I've attempted this a few times but about 4-5 days in my scalp itches really badly. Have you guys encountered that? Do you just push thru it. I suspect it might also be easier with short hair. Whenever I grow it out a bit the itchiness increases.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've attempted this a few times but about 4-5 days in my scalp itches really badly. Have you guys encountered that? Do you just push thru it. I suspect it might also be easier with short hair. Whenever I grow it out a bit the itchiness increases.

The trick to "No Poo" is to look after your scalp, and let the hair look after itself. Brushing with a pure bristle brush (I have a couple of Kent brushes), along with rinsing the hair, helps keep the scalp clear of detritus. Also, go through the motions of shampooing even though you're not using it, massaging the scalp after you've wet your hair and before the final rinse. If water alone doesn't work for you at first, try rinsing with warm chamomile tea.

I started no-poo back in February and have only washed with a small bit of conditioner about once a week. My hair and scalp have never felt and looked better. I only wish I had discovered this back in my youth.

I have been doing the no - poo since the first week of July and I am definitely liking it. I have a Kent shampoo brush that I use in the shower daily without shampoo to massage my scalp. I think that my hair is better looking and has more body.

Tom

Top Bottom