What's new

Anyone compare ATT G1 to Blackland Sabre?

Just wondering in case I get a bad case of RAD for a modern GEM razor.

Not that this is happening to me.

Not that it would ever happen.

Just wondering.

A lot.

I got the first edition of the ATT and returned it as it was so mild as not to give a decent shave, second edition much better but still a bit mild and I do not care for real aggressive razors. The Blackland is about as close to perfect as it's going to get IMHO.

I got the first edition of the ATT and returned it as it was so mild as not to give a decent shave, second edition much better but still a bit mild and I do not care for real aggressive razors. The Blackland is about as close to perfect as it's going to get IMHO.

Oh, this is good info. I like aggressive razors in general. Maybe "a lot of blade feel" would be more accurate. Do you have level one or two in the Sabre? Definitely more blade forward than the revised G1? Thanks!

Blackland just came out with a level 2 base plate and you can get a Sabre with either base plate or with both. Of course, do yourself a favor and get a Gem 1914 or MMOC first if you are looking for aggressive Gem blade razors.

Blackland just came out with a level 2 base plate and you can get a Sabre with either base plate or with both. Of course, do yourself a favor and get a Gem 1914 or MMOC first if you are looking for aggressive Gem blade razors.

I have a number of GEM MMs that I got last year about this time on a crazy, binge-buying spree (ebay). I've played around with the MMOC (I don't see any point in using the CP), but right now I'm concentrating on getting some technique down with my El Jefe. I've improved a lot in the past week, and I'm finding more and more that I would like a shorter blade, hence the GEM interest.

So I agree with you. If you can't get on with a MMOC, there's no point in going any further with a modern GEM razor.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have both the L1 & L2 Saber base plates as well as an ATT G1. My experience when I did a comparison of the three was that there was almost no difference in the final product or comfort between the three razors. The G1 is the most intriguing design, the Saber L2 will appeal to folk that like to feel the steel and the L1 was slightly more comfortable than the L2 plate. There was not so much difference though that any one stood out as better than the others.

Two qualifiers.

First, I've been using safety razors for too much over a half century and so find I get pretty much the same shave regardless of which razor I'm using.

The only issues I found with any of the three were really minor; that that fourth piece in the G1 is simply another piece for me to lose and I wish the blade stops on the Saber were radiused so they don't poke me.

but right now I'm concentrating on getting some technique down with my El Jefe. I've improved a lot in the past week, and I'm finding more and more that I would like a shorter blade, hence the GEM interest.

The El Jefe and MR SE are excellent razors and was my favorites before the ATT SE1 dethroned them. The MMOC is also right up there with them. They will all give me my BSS results in a smooth fashion with a Schick Proline, GEM SS PTFE in the MMOC.

After learning how to BBS my neck with the wide blade, the MMOC became obsolete!

I did not like AC razors until I tried the Schick Proline and the AC razors did not rule until I tried the ATT SE1 with the Schick Proline.

The El Jefe and MR SE are excellent razors and was my favorites before the ATT SE1 dethroned them. The MMOC is also right up there with them. They will all give me my BSS results in a smooth fashion with a Schick Proline, GEM SS PTFE in the MMOC.

After learning how to BBS my neck with the wide blade, the MMOC became obsolete!

I did not like AC razors until I tried the Schick Proline and the AC razors did not rule until I tried the ATT SE1 with the Schick Proline.
You need to set up a Schick proline shop for the US and Canada my friend as you have to be their biggest fan then I won’t have to wait 3 weeks to get them

You need to set up a Schick proline shop for the US and Canada my friend as you have to be their biggest fan then I won’t have to wait 3 weeks to get them

The difference in sharpness between the Schick Proline and the other AC blades is night and day for me! Just for the sake of argument, I used a fresh Kai Mild PINK last night. For my face shave it clearly took more strokes to BBS my face. I aborted my head shave on my ATG pass and put a fresh Proline in my ATT SE1, it was taking more strokes and it was pulling my stubble becoming quite painful. I can use the Kai Mild's on my face if I had to, but as I have decided before, never again on my head shave, the GEM MMOC was my official head shaver and I'll probably continue to shave my head with it, but the Proline is the GEM SS PTFE blades equal for me.

I have both the L1 & L2 Saber base plates as well as an ATT G1. My experience when I did a comparison of the three was that there was almost no difference in the final product or comfort between the three razors. The G1 is the most intriguing design, the Saber L2 will appeal to folk that like to feel the steel and the L1 was slightly more comfortable than the L2 plate. There was not so much difference though that any one stood out as better than the others.

Two qualifiers.

First, I've been using safety razors for too much over a half century and so find I get pretty much the same shave regardless of which razor I'm using.

The only issues I found with any of the three were really minor; that that fourth piece in the G1 is simply another piece for me to lose and I wish the blade stops on the Saber were radiused so they don't poke me.
I was wondering if the ATT G1 is milder than the SE1?

Top Bottom