What's new

Anyone can "restore" vintage straight razors.

I know this isn't necessarily the majority point of view (or maybe it is) but I think anyone, including newbies, can restore vintage straight razors from Ebay (for example).

Sometimes I see a newer shaver buying an inexpensive vintage straight razor and then sending it off to someone else. This is fine of course but I just wonder if everyone realizes how easy it is to do yourself?

I'm not talking about those who make custom scales, modified blades, etc but just cleaning up a vintage Ebay blade, cleaning up the scales, maybe repinning something and honing is inexpensive and easy.

I did this as a newbie who didn't really know how to shave or hone yet. Typical advice is to learn to shave first and then learn to hone and then learn to restore. However, waiting doesn't do anything so I think most people could just jump in from the start.

It's really not that easy to ruin a razor. Even if you bought two Ebay $15 straights and made a few mistakes on the first one it's still really inexpensive. I haven't actually ruined anything anyway and I doubt if many people have.

A ball peen hammer and repinning supplies is probably less than $10. A King 1k hone is about $20 and Whipped Dog has cut down (smaller) hones in 4k, 8k and 12k for somewhere around $65 for all of them I think. Add some green paste and a strop and you can buy good vintage straights on Ebay for around $15-$20 all day long.

If you try to hone and aren't good at it immediately all that generally happens is that you can't shave with it very well. You can always go back and try again later. Nothing is ruined.

If you break a pair of scales trying to get them off you can either repair them, buy a new pair, or wait until you have more Ebay straights and start to mix and match other scales.

I don't think you generally need to sand blades (just my preference) and you can remove most surface oxidation just with metal polish. I usually don't even unpin a blade for cleaning unless there was already some problem with the scales.

When you have peening skills you can also often times tighten loose blades.

I'm no expert in restoring blades so I'm not intending this post to be a lecture. :) I'd just like to see more people restore more vintage blades and maybe even use this thread for newbie questions about restoring if you didn't think you could do it yourself but now maybe are considering giving it a shot.

It also makes it possible for most people to have a lot more razors since once you have the few tools needed you can buy vintage blades cheaply all day long. I've learned that price has almost nothing to do with shave quality where straights are concerned.

There are crappy straights out there (usually new) but if you are buying vintage Wade & Butcher blades (for example) price has little to do with quality. Some of the best buys (cheapest) I've gotten have been some of the best razors.

Just don't buy blades with cracks, chips or excessive pitting. Scales, if they are going to be cracked, are usually compromised at the pins. Sometimes you get the best deals on Ebay from sellers who don't post the width of the blade as this means that they don't "know" straight razors.

If there aren't a lot of close up pictures I don't consider buying. If I find a good razor and no one else is bidding on it and I've checked the pictures I'll be likely to bid. If it's a Double Duck and others are bidding I'll stay away. There are a ton of razors out there. Just find the ones that others haven't found yet if possible.

I have a 5/8 Henkel with blonde scales with nothing other than some mild pitting on the blade on its way to me now. I got it for $10 including shipping. This isn't even unusual.

Last edited:
Great post! I'm a newbie to Straight Razors myself(2-3 months). I've been buying vintage straights exclusively and doing small and even sometimes large scale restoration work on them. He's right it's not terribly hard and it's really fun!

I had a few plastic scales that broke so I read up on how to make scales and ended up making 3 sets. They aren't great but they work and more importantly to me, they help me better understand how to repair vintage razors and I learned a new skill.

Legion

Staff member
The first razor I ever honed I also restored from a rust bucket with broken scales. Yes, it took me longer than subsequent razors, but it turned out pretty tidy in the end. It's not so hard.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Nicely done!

Do you use different sizes for the pinning rod? I used a standard size I got off Ebay in a repinning kit. It works but I noticed that on one of my restored straights that there is a little wiggle even when I tighten the pin. I think this is because of the holes that are in the blades must be slightly larger than others contributing to some slop.

It's something I'd like to correct.

Legion

Staff member
Nicely done!

Do you use different sizes for the pinning rod? I used a standard size I got off Ebay in a repinning kit. It works but I noticed that on one of my restored straights that there is a little wiggle even when I tighten the pin. I think this is because of the holes that are in the blades must be slightly larger than others contributing to some slop.

It's something I'd like to correct.

i use 1/16 rod which I cut to length. If the razor hole is too big (can happen with old razors) I fill the hole with epoxy, and redrill a 1/16 hole in that.

i use 1/16 rod which I cut to length. If the razor hole is too big (can happen with old razors) I fill the hole with epoxy, and redrill a 1/16 hole in that.
what kind of epoxy do you use? my P. eisemann has an oversize hole, i though i just had to deal with it

I agree 100% with the OP! I own around 30 SRs. All except one are vintage antique store finds. I have restored all of them. Most time I pay between $5 and $30. I only restore my razors with good old elbow grease...I don't use power tools. It is easy and it is a lot of fun. I also hone my own razors and I have from the very beginning of my SR journey. It's not rocket science. There is nothing more satisfying than buying a $10 piece of junk and restoring it to its original state...and then to shave with it. Great hobby. Nice way to pass the time.

Rusty Blade, I just finished doing what you describe yesterday. :) I received my Ebay vintage 6/8 Henkel straight that I got for $10 shipped. I cleaned it up, honed out the small pits on the edge, honed a new bevel and shaved with it today!

It's amazing to get a nice looking (butterscotch scales) 6/8 vintage razor for $10 and to be able to use it with so little work required but just enough work required to make it more satisfying. :)

i made a great score and got 6 razors, 2 only needed a honing all the rest are needing scale replacement on top of honing. im not very good at honing, not sure if its the razor, my stone, my technique or what. but im remaining stubborn.

i made a great score and got 6 razors, 2 only needed a honing all the rest are needing scale replacement on top of honing. im not very good at honing, not sure if its the razor, my stone, my technique or what. but im remaining stubborn.
I'm not an expert but I agree with the majority advice that it's all about setting the bevel.

I just keep honing on my 1k until the bevel is set and my "test" for that is if hairs will "pop" while passing the blade at skin level along my arm or leg hairs. If it won't do that at 1k it won't do that at 8k or 12k so stay at 1k.

All of the work is done at 1k. After that you are just progressively polishing out scratches from deeper to shallower.

Personally, I go 1k, 4k, 8k, 12k and pasted strop before the regular plain leather strop.

Rusty Blade, I just finished doing what you describe yesterday. :) I received my Ebay vintage 6/8 Henkel straight that I got for $10 shipped. I cleaned it up, honed out the small pits on the edge, honed a new bevel and shaved with it today!

It's amazing to get a nice looking (butterscotch scales) 6/8 vintage razor for $10 and to be able to use it with so little work required but just enough work required to make it more satisfying. :)
Sounds like you got a bargain and had some fun in the process! You just can't beat a vintage razor.

The first razor I ever honed I also restored from a rust bucket with broken scales. Yes, it took me longer than subsequent razors, but it turned out pretty tidy in the end. It's not so hard.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nice job! What process did you follow to get that shine on the razor?

Top Bottom