What's new

Anyone buy a Feather DX on the 'bay?

On Amazon Japan the folding DX is only priced around 13,000JPY, which is about 99 dollars (we’re suffering from a poor exchange rate here in Japan!). So I’d say those eBay prices don’t necessarily scream “Fake!!!”
I know some Amazon Japan sellers offer international shipping for some items, so might be worth checking there, too?

Looking at adding a Feather DX to my stable of face-slashers. I've looked at sellers based in the US, and the pricing (for the folder) is between $250-300, depending on the handle material, with wood being the pricier option.

On Ebay, I've seen several sellers in Japan selling the plastic version for under $120, and the wood version for $135, which makes me very suspicious.

So, is there a legit reason that a genuine Feather razor would cost 50% less when buying directly from Japan?...or do I need to proceed with caution?
Favorable exchange rate as @Bluebriz points out.

I've been eyeing this for a while in the fishing world. For example, there is a particular JDM reel made by Shimano that I have been wanting to add into my arsenal but cost has been one of the detractors (as is spare part availability and technical support). Recently, I have been able to purchase direct from Japan for close to $150 less plus shipping than a domestic US sourced vendor.

On Amazon Japan the folding DX is only priced around 13,000JPY, which is about 99 dollars (we’re suffering from a poor exchange rate here in Japan!). So I’d say those eBay prices don’t necessarily scream “Fake!!!”
I know some Amazon Japan sellers offer international shipping for some items, so might be worth checking there, too?

Favorable exchange rate as @Bluebriz points out.

I've been eyeing this for a while in the fishing world. For example, there is a particular JDM reel made by Shimano that I have been wanting to add into my arsenal but cost has been one of the detractors (as is spare part availability and technical support). Recently, I have been able to purchase direct from Japan for close to $150 less plus shipping than a domestic US sourced vendor.

I already pulled the trigger on a wood DX on Ebay, from a seller located in Japan.

In the item description it stated something like "All of my items are genuine" or "I only sell genuine items", and the seller had over 3,000 sales and a positive feedback rating of 99+. Most of the other sellers had far lower sales numbers.

Beyond that, I don't know that there is much more to do other than hope they are honest.

To me, it looks like the Kai is most like the Feather SR, which has the thinnest shaving edge of the Feather shavettes.

I may need to do a bit more research before purchase.
I have a Kai Kasho Woody and a Feather SR. They are both fine products. Imo, it is likely that both are actually superior in some ways to the DX. They are both much more forgiving.

I love with razors but the line the slight nod to the Kai. The Feather is closer to a real straight in terms of angle, but the not by much. There is an unfortunate bit of 'stiction' when shaving with the SR that is nit there with the Kai, probably because the Kai has little indentations all along the blade holder that allow for smoother gliding.

Ultimately, they are both fine razors, but if I had to keep just one it would be the Kai, for sure. It is possibly the best razor of any type that I have ever used. Knowing what I know, having used replaceable-blade AC straights for almost about the last four years, I would never buy a OF.

Addendum: Looks like I posted this too late to stop you. Maybe you will love the DX. If you don't, look into the Kai Kasho.

I have a Kai Kasho Woody and a Feather SR. They are both fine products. Imo, it is likely that both are actually superior in some ways to the DX. They are both much more forgiving.

I love with razors but the line the slight nod to the Kai. The Feather is closer to a real straight in terms of angle, but the not by much. There is an unfortunate bit of 'stiction' when shaving with the SR that is nit there with the Kai, probably because the Kai has little indentations all along the blade holder that allow for smoother gliding.

Ultimately, they are both fine razors, but if I had to keep just one it would be the Kai, for sure. It is possibly the best razor of any type that I have ever used. Knowing what I know, having used replaceable-blade AC straights for almost about the last four years, I would never buy a OF.

Addendum: Looks like I posted this too late to stop you. Maybe you will love the DX. If you don't, look into the Kai Kasho.

Yep, it arrived yesterday. I was notified of shipping April 9 and it showed up at my door in Michigan yesterday. Crazy fast. It arrived faster than my orders from Maggard and the Razor Company, both located in my state.

I have a Kai kamisori clone and it seems like my Feather SS razors are more efficient. Maybe because it's a clone?...maybe it's the operator?

I'll find out about the Feather DX today. 🙂

Yep, it arrived yesterday. I was notified of shipping April 9 and it showed up at my door in Michigan yesterday. Crazy fast. It arrived faster than my orders from Maggard and the Razor Company, both located in my state.

I have a Kai kamisori clone and it seems like my Feather SS razors are more efficient. Maybe because it's a clone?...maybe it's the operator?

Saw your post in SOTD, how'd it compare to the clone?

Saw your post in SOTD, how'd it compare to the clone?

Well, the only clone I still have is the Kai, which has a similar (narrow) head. The difference is that the Kai clone is a kamisori style and the DX is a folder. The shave is similar but they handle differently.

Compared to the SS (and SS clones) the DX requires a shallower (flatter) angle and will more easily irritate your skin if you raise the spine too far from your face/skin.

I think that's where I got into a bit of trouble. I raised the spine on my ATG pass on my lower neck and got some pretty severe razor rash.

But I'm learning, and it won't happen again. 🙂

I am glad that everything went well and yours mirrored my previous experiences.

When I put a new blade in one of my Feather ACs, I now make sure to use a shaving soap or cream for the first 2-3 shaves that I know has good lubrication (e.g. MWF), as these first shaves tend to be the roughest.

B.

Well, the only clone I still have is the Kai, which has a similar (narrow) head. The difference is that the Kai clone is a kamisori style and the DX is a folder. The shave is similar but they handle differently.

Compared to the SS (and SS clones) the DX requires a shallower (flatter) angle and will more easily irritate your skin if you raise the spine too far from your face/skin.

I think that's where I got into a bit of trouble. I raised the spine on my ATG pass on my lower neck and got some pretty severe razor rash.

But I'm learning, and it won't happen again. 🙂
Thanks for getting back!
I have the CJB kami too, so it's interesting to look at new stuff.

I am glad that everything went well and yours mirrored my previous experiences.

When I put a new blade in one of my Feather ACs, I now make sure to use a shaving soap or cream for the first 2-3 shaves that I know has good lubrication (e.g. MWF), as these first shaves tend to be the roughest.

B.
I palm strop my AC blades briefly before the first shave. This, coupled with avoidance of Feather blades, makes a big difference.

I prefer Kai Mild PINK blades in my AC shavettes. I find them quite a bit smoother and just as sharp.

Did you get the wood DX folding straight?
What import taxes did you have to pay on the razor?

Hope the shaves are going great!

I'm in the US, bought the razor from a Japanese seller, so no import taxes. It arrived very quickly, faster than some US vendors.

Screenshot_20230924_202639_eBay.jpg

Top Bottom