What's new

Anyone buy a Feather DX on the 'bay?

Looking at adding a Feather DX to my stable of face-slashers. I've looked at sellers based in the US, and the pricing (for the folder) is between $250-300, depending on the handle material, with wood being the pricier option.

On Ebay, I've seen several sellers in Japan selling the plastic version for under $120, and the wood version for $135, which makes me very suspicious.

So, is there a legit reason that a genuine Feather razor would cost 50% less when buying directly from Japan?...or do I need to proceed with caution?

I haven’t bought from a Japanese eBay seller but the price difference doesn’t surprise me. It’s fairly common with other Japanese products that you can save a lot buying from a Japan seller, if you can find one who can deal in English. It’s crazy how these razors suddenly went up in price so much in the US and Europe. They used to be well under $200 until maybe a year or so ago.

I haven’t bought from a Japanese eBay seller but the price difference doesn’t surprise me. It’s fairly common with other Japanese products that you can save a lot buying from a Japan seller, if you can find one who can deal in English. It’s crazy how these razors suddenly went up in price so much in the US and Europe. They used to be well under $200 until maybe a year or so ago.

You know, I thought it might just be the reluctance of US buyers to purchase from Japan or those who don't mind spending double because they can't wait 2 weeks (or longer) for shipping. Thanks for your input.

By the way, I like the wooden scale Feather DX very much. You could also consider the equivalent Kai Captain razor with wooden scales - if anything it feels even slightly better quality to me, but both are beautifully made. The Feather DX kamisori-style razor with the light blue elastomer grip is superb too, and it is the lightest weight Artist Club razor, which makes it very nimble and pleasant to use. It’s only a few grammes difference but you can feel it.

Feather and Kai are essentially the same company, by the way. Just different brands under the same family business.

By the way, I like the wooden scale Feather DX very much. You could also consider the equivalent Kai Captain razor with wooden scales - if anything it feels even slightly better quality to me, but both are beautifully made. The Feather DX kamisori-style razor with the light blue elastomer grip is superb too, and it is the lightest weight Artist Club razor, which makes it very nimble and pleasant to use.

Feather and Kai are essentially the same company, by the way. Just different brands under the same family business.

To me, it looks like the Kai is most like the Feather SR, which has the thinnest shaving edge of the Feather shavettes.

I may need to do a bit more research before purchase.

That would explain it for sure. I hadn't even thought about grey market, at least not since collecting watches.
I'd gotten into it for photography awhile back. Good for all sorts of electronics.

I've been considering a DX with wood. Apparently the CJB clone is closer to the DX than the SS/SR.

The Feather SRs are beautiful too. Highly recommended. But I think the DX is the thinnest edge and the most like a traditional straight razor feel. The brushed steel finish on the kamisori DX is especially nice, and for various minor reasons it is my favourite of all these excellent razors. I’d put the Kai Captain “pakka” wooden scale razor second.

Bottom line is when you have one of these in your hand - any of them - you can’t miss the quality. Honestly if you did pay $250-300 for one you would still feel the value is there.

If you wanted to spend a bit less and still get a quality barber razor then I would also recommend the Irving Barber Co. razor. It’s smaller and lighter, and really well balanced - also made from steel with aluminium scales.

Here’s an old photo of some of my barber razors, with most of the ones we’re talking about. The DX kamisori isn’t there so I’ve added a pic of it below.

Pick whichever one speaks to you most. No need to overthink the details. You can’t go wrong.

A86DAEBF-26AD-43AC-8A9C-A5104EE83EB3.jpeg

A7139051-3C3D-4999-BB1A-270EDF188C38.jpeg

I'd gotten into it for photography awhile back. Good for all sorts of electronics.

I've been considering a DX with wood. Apparently the CJB clone is closer to the DX than the SS/SR.

Me also. It seems very reasonable for $135 from Japan, which is half the cost fro any US retailer...and I haven't seen the Kai Kasho available from any Japanese sellers.

I already have a Kai kamisori clone and two genuine Feather DXs - the folder and kamisori.

The Feather SRs are beautiful too. Highly recommended. But I think the DX is the thinnest edge and the most like a traditional straight razor feel. The brushed steel finish on the kamisori DX is especially nice, and for various minor reasons it is my favourite of all these excellent razors. I’d put the Kai Captain “pakka” wooden scale razor second.

Bottom line is when you have one of these in your hand - any of them - you can’t miss the quality. Honestly if you did pay $250-300 for one you would still feel the value is there.

If you wanted to spend a bit less and still get a quality barber razor then I would also recommend the Irving Barber Co. razor. It’s smaller and lighter, and really well balanced - also made from steel with aluminium scales.

Here’s an old photo of some of my barber razors, with most of the ones we’re talking about. The DX kamisori isn’t there so I’ve added a pic of it below.

Pick whichever one speaks to you most. No need to overthink the details. You can’t go wrong.

View attachment 1632401

View attachment 1632402

Thank you, it's nice to see pictures.

Right now I'm leaning towards the wood Feather DX.

View attachment 1632401

View attachment 1632402

So, how do you like the Tedalus? I know that the razor will accept AC, injector, and DE half-blades.

So, how do you like the Tedalus? I know that the razor will accept AC, injector, and DE half-blades.
The Irving accepts half-DE as well, and I’d assume injector too.

The Tedalus is a beautiful thing - very high quality, and a striking design. It’s large and heavy, though, so it’s not a razor I pick up very often. The magnetic head is quite strong and it takes some effort to open and close - a minor thing - and the razor doesn’t close completely with a blade installed (or rather the blade edge will hit the rubber stopper). I’d say it’s a great razor but it’s something I probably derive more pleasure from owning and looking at than I do from using it, if I’m honest about it.

The Irving doesn’t close fully with a blade installed either, by the way. And it has a few other very minor design quirks. But the Irving is bags of fun to use, the easiest to shave with of all my barber razors, and I always have one with me when I travel. Even just for shaving the hairs on the back of my neck I just get a particular kick using the Irving.

The Irving accepts half-DE as well, and I’d assume injector too.

The Tedalus is a beautiful thing - very high quality, and a striking design. It’s large and heavy, though, so it’s not a razor I pick up very often. The magnetic head is quite strong and it takes some effort to open and close - a minor thing - and the razor doesn’t close completely with a blade installed (or rather the blade edge will hit the rubber stopper). I’d say it’s a great razor but it’s something I probably derive more pleasure from owning and looking at than I do from using it, if I’m honest about it.

The Irving doesn’t close fully with a blade installed either, by the way. And it has a few other very minor design quirks. But the Irving is bags of fun to use, the easiest to shave with of all my barber razors, and I always have one with me when I travel. Even just for shaving the hairs on the back of my neck I just get a particular kick using the Irving.

Thanks. It is beautiful. 🙂👍

Report back how it compares to the clone!
I want one too, but it'll have to wait until my next paycheck haha.

Sure. My only clone is the Kai and my Feather SS razors are genuine. Still, the DX looks most like the Kai clone, so I expect it to shave similarly...bearing in mind that I have little experience with the shavettes.

My last shave was with a Sedef, two passes, touched up with my Feather, for a SAS with two tiny weepers.

I'm determined to get through a complete shave with the Turkish razor. I figure if I can master that, everything else will be easy in comparison.

I bought quite a few Feather AC items and second-hand straight razors through ebay Japan and had always a good experience.
Before ordering, I took the usual ebay precautions (check buyer feedback, number of transaction etc.), but found the transactions including (Japanese Mail) delivery always trouble-free and fast.

If you already know that the Feather AC is for you and as the AC blades are fairly expensive outside of Japan, this might also be a good opportunity to buy a box of those too.

On a related note, regarding the Feather AC models (I have the SS, DX and recently introduced SR), I found that the SR seems to combine the heft and weight & balance of the DX with the lower price of the SS.
I only wish that Feather would have introduced the SR model sooner…

If the first shaves seem harsh, that is the nature of the AC Professional and Professional Super blades, but I flatly refuse the idea of buying a blade with a wire strung before the edge.
After the first 2-3 shaves the edge will mellow down in any case or you could accelerate the process by some initial palm-stropping.

Hope this helps…

B.

I bought quite a few Feather AC items and second-hand straight razors through ebay Japan and had always a good experience.
Before ordering, I took the usual ebay precautions (check buyer feedback, number of transaction etc.), but found the transactions including (Japanese Mail) delivery always trouble-free and fast.

If you already know that the Feather AC is for you and as the AC blades are fairly expensive outside of Japan, this might also be a good opportunity to buy a box of those too.

On a related note, regarding the Feather AC models (I have the SS, DX and recently introduced SR), I found that the SR seems to combine the heft and weight & balance of the DX with the lower price of the SS.
I only wish that Feather would have introduced the SR model sooner…

If the first shaves seem harsh, that is the nature of the AC Professional and Professional Super blades, but I flatly refuse the idea of buying a blade with a wire strung before the edge.
After the first 2-3 shaves the edge will mellow down in any case or you could accelerate the process by some initial palm-stropping.

Hope this helps…

B.

Yes, thank you.

I'm still using Feather and Kai guarded blades since that is what I have on hand for shaving my head with my Vector.

I call them my "training wheels" and will use them until I am comfortable with the mechanics of open-blade shaving. I do have some Feather Pro and Super blades on hand that will be used down the road.

Top Bottom