What's new

Anyone Ambi/Uni?

-dextrous, that is.

I have been primarily shaving with two hands, but today I tried my ATG pass with just my right (dominant) hand, and it worked extremely well giving me an omnidirectional BBS. In summary:

WTG/Ambi
XTG/Ambi (sometimes once in either direction)
ATG/Uni

Anyone else do this, or a variation?

That sounds right. In fact, there is no universal prescription: Whatever gets you to the BBS!

-dextrous, that is.

I have been primarily shaving with two hands, but today I tried my ATG pass with just my right (dominant) hand, and it worked extremely well giving me an omnidirectional BBS. In summary:

WTG/Ambi
XTG/Ambi (sometimes once in either direction)
ATG/Uni

Anyone else do this, or a variation?

Not ambidextrous, but I used to play drums and practiced all sorts of things with my left hand. There are still some things I do better with my left hand, and that's true with straight razor shaving. (e.g. I can't do certain moves brushing my teeth with my right hand.) For other things I like using both hands, like using a wedge ATG under the nose.

Wrists move in arcs (so do arms if you lock your wrists, although they're bigger arcs) so some moves are easier with one hand or the other. You should keep trying both hands even if something works now. Just get em practising doing things for you and they'll return the favor by being able to do things for you.

You have toothbrushing "moves"? You are on a whole other level from me...
Sure! Come on down. :001_smile

I can't do the up & down thing so easily with my right hand. It's kind of like a combination blade buff / crest slide. Played traditional grip, so that wrist rotation is easier with my left hand... and don't get wise. :wink:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use both hands for my 3 passes. It's easier to reach with the other hand often!

For ATG I will use my left hand on the right side and right hand on the left side. I found it easier to "pull" the razor toward the center of my face then "pushing" it.

I use both my left and right hand through out the shave. Funny thing is, although I am right-handed, I use my left more when shaving. It takes care of about 60% of a given pass.

I do a pass on my throat going e-w using one hand and then w-e using the other hand.

By the way, I'd give an arm to be ambidextrous. :001_tt2:

Being a right hander, I've found some times that I just have to use my left for my shave. While it was a bit touchy in the beginning, its getting much better now, and the shaves are easier now that I've been using my left hand. It does take a bit of getting used to though, but I can attest to its being useful and providing for a better shave. :wink2: :001_tongu :001_smile

I started out using my left hand, then read that it would be easier to use both, so for 6 months or so I did the ambi thing.
Now, with a few hundred more shaves under my belt, I am strictly a Lefty shaver. I can get an amazing one handed shave in about as long as it takes for a DE shave.

I think lefties have a much easier time doing the ambi shave, as throughout life, we are FORCED to bow to the right handed makers of products.

I actually am ambidextrous (throw and write either way) and shave with both hands. It is nice since I don't have to go across my body to shave.

I have used right hand for right side of face and left for left side of face. After watching Chimensch's video, he demonstrates right hand on left side of face and left hand for right side of face. It looked as if he had an easier time stretching the skin taught in this manner, so I tried it. He's definitely on to something, as using his technique, you don't have your hand obstructing your view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom